September '13 Mercedes Best Selling Month in History

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
September the best ever month for sales in Mercedes-Benz' history
Stuttgart, Oct 04, 2013

This September Mercedes-Benz sold more vehicles than in any other previous month. A total of 142,994 new cars were supplied to customers around the world, equivalent to growth of 15.9%. 1,062,638 units have now been sold since the beginning of 2013 (+10.1%). In the third quarter of the year Mercedes-Benz sold 368,201 vehicles and recorded growth of 18.0%. The third quarter was particularly successful for the company in the United States and China. Mercedes-Benz also expanded its market shares in Europe and remains most-registered premium brand in Germany, Japan and the United States. Much of this growth can be attributed to the compact models and the new E-Class, which was launched to great success. The new S-Class is already leading the way of new vehicle registrations in Germany. With its launch in the Chinese market in September its global presence and position will be further strengthened.

"Never before has Mercedes-Benz sold more vehicles in a single month than this September. The new S-Class is already the distinct market leader in Germany and Europe. Our compacts and the new E-Class are also proving hugely popular with customers," said Dr Joachim Schmidt, Executive Vice President, Sales and Marketing Mercedes-Benz Cars. "Looking at the previous nine months, we can safely say that Mercedes-Benz will post another sales record for 2013."

In September Mercedes-Benz delivered 71,085 vehicles to customers in Europe (+14.2%), weathering tough market conditions to record an exceptionally successful third quarter (+14.0% on September 2012). The company achieved particularly strong growth for the month in the UK (+28.0%), in Turkey (+31.5%) and in Russia (+20.1%).

In the domestic market Mercedes-Benz had a market share of over 9 percent: It has now been the market leader for the premium segment in Germany in every month of the year so far.

In China the third quarter was particularly successful for Mercedes-Benz: With 56,992 vehicles delivered (incl. Hong Kong), the automobile manufacturer recorded growth of 26.3%, meaning that one in six new Mercedes-Benz vehicles was sold to a customer in China. Sales were also very strong in Japan, where the company handed over 14,558 vehicles to customers in the period from July to September (+32.8%). Mercedes-Benz is once again the most-registered premium brand in Japan.

In the United States Mercedes-Benz reported another set of record sales in September, delivering 24,697 vehicles (+6.7%) and was again premium manufacturer number one. From January to September the company sold 215,056 units (+12.2%), also a new record, in its biggest sales market. Mercedes-Benz' sales have grown by 47.5% since the beginning of the year in the Latin American markets. And in the important future market of Brazil, Daimler will soon be represented by a local manufacturing facility. From 2016 the new assembly plant in Iracemápolis near São Paulo will be producing the next generations of the C-Class and GLA for the local market.

The new compacts by Mercedes-Benz have been a sales revelation over the past nine months: Worldwide, 267,467 customers bought an A-Class, B-Class or CLA-Class model (+68.3%). The design of the CLA is proving particularly popular: Only this September Mercedes-Benz' compact coupe was named best new compact in the 2013 'Autonis' design awards, voted for by readers of magazine 'auto, motor und sport'. Also in September Mercedes-Benz presented its fourth compact car model: The GLA looks set to conquer the key segment of compact SUVs and win new customers for the brand when it launches in spring 2014.

A strong sales increase in September demonstrates how well the new E-Class models are faring in the markets: In the E-Class segment Mercedes-Benz posted record sales of 34,340 vehicles (+26.3%). Since the beginning of September the new E-Class has also been available in China, where it will provide further growth momentum in the company's second biggest market after the United States.

Mercedes-Benz' SUVs are already an established source of success for the company, and since the beginning of the year 236,129 SUVs bearing the three-pointed star have been sold – a record-breaking figure that represents an increase of 17.3%. Three of the company's five SUV model series are made at the Mercedes-Benz plant in Tuscaloosa (USA). The decision to produce these vehicles in Alabama was made exactly 20 years ago. The M-Class was the first vehicle to roll off the production line at the site, and is now the highest selling vehicle worldwide in its class. Since the beginning of the year, 89,342 vehicles of the M-Class were delivered to customers worldwide (+10.5%).

Since the beginning of the year 73,782 people around the world have bought a smart fortwo (previous year: 78,984 units). The compact two-seater is enjoying growing popularity in China: A total of 1,640 smart fortwo were sold in the country in September alone (+22.5%).

Overview of sales by Mercedes-Benz Cars
September
2013 Change
in % Per September
2013 Change
in %
Mercedes-Benz 142,994 +15.9 1,062,638 +10.1
smart 8,526 -7.8 73,782 -6.6
Mercedes-Benz Cars 151,520 +14.3 1,136,420 +8.9

Mercedes-Benz Sales in the Markets
Europe 71,085 +14.2 496,696 +7.3
- thereof Germany 22,897 +1.5 191,102 +0.2
NAFTA 28,187 +7.8 244,619 +11.5
- thereof USA 24,697 +6.7 215,056 +12.2
Asia/Pacific 39,013 +26.2 280,560 +13.4
- thereof Japan 7,106 +31.4 38,712 +28.8
- thereof China 20,375 +21.2 155,906 +7.9

I know they are a business and have to make money but it is a shame when chasing volume becomes so important. Devalues the brand in my opinion and creates far too many 'niches'.

No doubt the cheap leasing deals and pcps have helped the UK figures.

I know they are a business and have to make money but it is a shame when chasing volume becomes so important. Devalues the brand in my opinion and creates far too many 'niches'.

No doubt the cheap leasing deals and pcps have helped the UK figures.

I agree with the principle, but profit fuels investment and development.

Being able to sell more is great as the alternative (unless planned) is not good.

I'd be very interested to see the profit figures though. It's also interesting to see that Germany itself showed virtually no growth, despite all the new models and their economy has been going very well. It looks as though sales to non-Eurozone countries are seriously boosting the European figures, I wonder what will happen when the euro finally recovers. It certainly shows the benefits the German economy gets from a weak euro.

I agree with the principle, but profit fuels investment and development.

Agreed. But the investment must be put to good use to improve the product and customer experience etc. MB have some way to go in this area in my experience. I sat in a new S Class last week and was completely unmoved by the experience. Yes it is stuffed full of gizmos which will eventually trickle down into lesser cars but does that make it a better car? I'd rather a return to MB brand values of old and have a hewn from granite feel with understated, but classy styling.

Agreed. But the investment must be put to good use to improve the product and customer experience etc. MB have some way to go in this area in my experience. I sat in a new S Class last week and was completely unmoved by the experience. Yes it is stuffed full of gizmos which will eventually trickle down into lesser cars but does that make it a better car? I'd rather a return to MB brand values of old and have a hewn from granite feel with understated, but classy styling.

MB still seem to be good at the hewn from granite feel, even if the styling externally and internally is less understated and more bling. Even the A-Class loaner I had at the start of the year when my CLS was in for service felt tank like in terms of the robustness of the controls and the cabin. Probably partly down to the more utilitarian nature of it compared with the luxury cabin materials in the CLS.

Anyway even the MB cars from the dark days of the late 90's have no trouble sailing through 15 years+ reliable service. Would it make sense to build a better engineered hewn from granite car that would last say 25 years and would customers pay a premium for this? Particularly with technology moving as fast as it is - by that time cars will probably have double the power and drink 1/4 of the amount at the pumps.

I think we are living in exciting times in terms of developments and improvements in cars. Can't wait to see what MB I will be driving in 10 years :)

The UK market blitzed every record there is last month. More vans were sold here than anywhere else in the world in September.

Mercedes-Benz clocks 30,000+ orders for 2014 S-Class in less than three months

Sources within Daimler have revealed Mercedes-Benz has received more than 30,000 orders for the new S-Class.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the S-Class is going to be a huge success for Mercedes-Benz but it turns out the car is more popular than expected as already more than 30,000 people have ordered the W222 in less than three months since the car went on sale. As you would imagine, the biggest market for the S-Class was at home in Germany but neighboring European countries have also shown the new flagship sedan a great amount of appreciation.
The 2014 S-Class went on sale in Europe towards the end of July and in late September it hit the Chinese market as well. Last week it was introduced in United States where it kicks off at 92,900 USD for the base S550 model.
Mercedes-Benz has big plans for the revamped S-Class as they plan on introducing several new versions, including an extra-long wheelbase, coupe, cabriolet and a Maybach-replacing Pullman which will be almost six meters long. In addition, some will be available as plug-in hybrids while others will also be offered with the AMG touch.

I'd rather a return to MB brand values of old and have a hewn from granite feel with understated, but classy styling.

You're not the only one holding that view.

They still are, it's called the S Class.

Simply get your wallet out if you want that quality.

They still are, it's called the S Class.

Simply get your wallet out if you want that quality.

But they are not. It is all a myth and I have had enough of them to know. If anything the S Class is the worst example to use as they use it to show case all the new tech. And for just a small increase in price too. But that process takes time to iron out the problems and make it reliable relying heavily on the 'reputation' and the goodwill of the owners.

One of my S Classes came brand new from the factory and the mirrors didn't auto dip when reversing. It went back and they discovered a batch of cars had left the factory without that software installed. That car was eventually rejected due to gearbox and suspension problems. Another 3 had engine management problems, 3 had seatbelts that wouldn't retract properly, 1 had a dash display that wouldn't go out, 3 have had gearbox issues below 60k miles but thankfully no rust yet.

Please tell me why this is acceptable in their 75 grand flagship models. I will not buy a 222 based on this experience.

I just wish they would stop spending thousands on computer tech and just get the basics right.

You sound like my old man!! haha

I remember him moaning when the W140 was launched, full of gizmos like self closing doors and bootlid that are bound to fail and lock you in the car! :rolleyes:

Then he bought one and loved it, then when the W220 came out he moaned about all the gizmos on that, but bought one, and loved it, even though he did have go without it for a week for brakes or something like that.

Things move on, we get more gadgets, and with that we have more that can go wrong, that's just the way it is.

Some of the faults make a mockery of all the testing you read about. For example - our new Range Rover has clonking front suspension after only 8k miles. Hmmmm, didn't that show up during development?!? TVR used to treat their owners as test drivers but mainstream manufacturers.............?

Things move on, we get more gadgets, and with that we have more that can go wrong, that's just the way it is.

I would find that hard accept, especially after shelling out big bucks on say a S-Class as previously mentioned. Actually, it's not acceptable and it's certainly not 'moving on' either.

'Oh sir, you purchased an almost fully optioned car, so it's no surprise that something is bound to fail'.

I would find that hard accept, especially after shelling out big bucks on say a S-Class as previously mentioned. Actually, it's not acceptable and it's certainly not 'moving on' either.

'Oh sir, you purchased an almost fully optioned car, so it's no surprise that something is bound to fail'.

What would you find hard to accept? That the more things that go on a car the more things there are to go wrong? :dk:

I'm not saying they will go wrong or we have to accept things going wrong, all I am saying is as we get more gadgets, we have more that can go wrong, that's just the way it is.

Now, we could have longer lifecylces which would give the brands longer to test the cars out, but there is a race to be out there first with new models and new technologies, if BMW bring out a new 7 series which is 10 years ahead of Mercedes you can guarantee that Mercedes will not be happy to wait 5 more years before they bring out their S that beats it.

You can't go back to a model that came out nearly a quarter of a century ago, which is arguably the last S Class that was hewn from granite, the W140, and expect it to sell, yeah it may be the most reliable car in the world, but by todays standards it would look and feel archaic.

You can't go back to a model that came out nearly a quarter of a century ago, which is arguably the last S Class that was hewn from granite, the W140, and expect it to sell, yeah it may be the most reliable car in the world, but by todays standards it would look and feel archaic.

So, a model from a couple decades ago is more reliable than the equivalent model today and that's acceptable simply because today's model is of a higher overall specification...

It's akin to saying that a modern airliner is more likely to crash than an older version simply because of it's better overall specification and that is acceptable...I admit that analogy is somewhat flawed but it's somewhat fair too.

So, a model from a couple decades ago is more reliable than the equivalent model today and that's acceptable simply because today's model is of a higher overall specification...

It's akin to saying that a modern airliner is more likely to crash than an older version simply because of it's better overall specification and that is acceptable...I admit that analogy is somewhat flawed but it's somewhat fair too.

I didn't say it is acceptable, I just said that to get the level of reliability you had with the W140 is simply not possible with a car packed with so much gadgetry.

How many S Classes have crashed when something fails?
I haven't heard of a car crashing when the nav fails, or the mirrors don't close when you lock it, they are annoyances.
Even when there were issues with the electronic dampers and the gearbox, it effected a small proportion of cars, and for the owners it effected it was more than annoying, but they sold over half a million of that model and 99% of owners thought they were motoring perfection.

There is a really simple answer to this, if you don't like the new S Class and you think it is too packed with tech then simply don't buy it.
It's one of life's simpler decisions. :D

I didn't say it is acceptable, I just said that to get the level of reliability you had with the W140 is simply not possible with a car packed with so much gadgetry.

How many S Classes have crashed when something fails?
I haven't heard of a car crashing when the nav fails, or the mirrors don't close when you lock it, they are annoyances.
Even when there were issues with the electronic dampers and the gearbox, it effected a small proportion of cars, and for the owners it effected it was more than annoying, but they sold over half a million of that model and 99% of owners thought they were motoring perfection.

There is a really simple answer to this, if you don't like the new S Class and you think it is too packed with tech then simply don't buy it.
It's one of life's simpler decisions. :D

Not possible? I don't believe you.

Crashed? Who mentioned anything about an S-Class crashing...

Too packed? Who complained it was over spec'ed...

Buying or not? What has that got to do with anything regarding a general discussion on reliability...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom