Sequentronic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OGiii

Car
W211 E200 K - they don't make em like they used to, which is why it's been replaced with a 911 :)
I've ordered an E200K for delivery in September (Co. Car).

I know it's probably underpowered but it's part of a master-plan ;) basically it gets me in to this class of Merc and then next time round I can get one with bigger engine etc etc.

The reason I'm asking about this is that I've ordered it in Manual because I've never had an Auto and wasn't that bothered about having one and when I drove a new C180 Manual (couldn't get a test drive on the E) the six speed manual box felt OK.

I'm starting to have second thoughts now - I've just bought my wife a '97 C180 Estate in Auto and I have to say that the Auto box feels good on an 'underpowered' car.

My budget won't strecth to full auto, but I get the impression that Sequentronic is basically auto anyway and costs £650 instead on £1450.

Has anybody any experience of this?

Would it feel more of a sloutch?

Would I be better off with Manual so I can rag the little nut5 off it keeping the revs high to try and achieve any sort of fun:devil:

All feedback gratefully accepted.

Cheers
OG

Trying to stay unbiased here (being a happy manual owner in the Automatic world of Mercedes) I would say:

You've made your choice. If you are aware of the alledged depreciation of non-automatic MB's and have made the choice for your own reasons, then go for it.

I would say a normal manual gearbox is the best option you can make if you fear the car is underpowered (to you at least).

Auto and metallic paint are the two options that you should have.

Everything else is a lux item.

I know from my own experence , i see a car on the forecourt , looks good , i look inside , see a manual box and then turn away.

Its the lepar car. This is ok when youre buying it used and getting it cheaper . but its not worth it buying a new car and getting a manual.

This post wasnt ment to offend anyone and im only speaking the truth.:crazy:

Now sequentronic is worse. no one wants them second hand. Its worse than having a manual.

When you say underpowered what are you going to do with the car?(pull a plough?)
You have heard the same stuff as me about C180's...underpowered....Having owned a 202 for the last 5 years I have never once found it lacking, although most of my driving is solo.
I am unsure about my choice of next car i was persuaded by reports and went for a auto.....I have never drove an auto before.
I am sure the E200 auto will perform beyond your expectations, and as it is a company car you can afford to take it past its test speed and revs....lol
I think the auto gearbox's have a option to select gears manually anyway steptronic??

Good luck
Joe

Originally posted by fuzzer

Now sequentronic is worse. no one wants them second hand. Its worse than having a manual.

My god, the cars must be useless. Who invented those manual gearboxes? They will never catch on. LOL :D

I agree.

Mercedes is well-known for its smooth auto transmission. Their manny isn't too great... from what I've heard.

If you're planning to keep it for a long time, then its your choice. But if your thinking of resale or trade-in value, go for the auto...

By the way, congratulations on your new car!

Originally posted by GrahamC230K
My god, the cars must be useless. Who invented those manual gearboxes? They will never catch on. LOL :D

You know what i mean . Im only saying ...

There is nothing wrong with a manual.... im jsut being mercedes minded.

Originally posted by fuzzer
You know what i mean . Im only saying ...

There is nothing wrong with a manual.... im jsut being mercedes minded.

I know what you are saying, all true I expect down at the Mercedes forecourt.

I just think that elsewhere it's not much of a problem and newcomers must have the fear of god put in them about even thinking of a manual.

OG did say company car so I don't suppose he cares about future value!

The sales guy in my local dealer had a E200 as his company car and he said he didn't find it underpowered at all, the power figures are very similar to the E240 due to the kompressor.

Thanks for the replies guys

It was this that was worrying me!

I've got a 200hp Volvo at the moment and, whilst I know the E's going to be nowhere near that quick, I was hoping to drive it like an enthusiastic 30 something rather than just sitting back and enjoying the ride.

I know I should perhaps go for a quick C class for the same money but I wanted the bigger car and I have to say that it is a beautiful thing.

Resale isn't a concern because it's a company buy.

Looks like I'll stick with the Manual then.

Thanks again everybody.

You are going to suffer coming from a 200BHP Volvo believe me.

The C200 is not tooo much of a slouch, but then the one I had was a manual! - but if the guys comparison to the E200K and the C200 is true, it's not going to satisfy you I don't think whatever the gearbox.

I'd agree with Graham. I've just come down from 200Bhp Honda to the C200 .... The Honda had power that I was rarely in a position to use, but it was nice to know it was there. I'm considering a chip for mine, to boost things a little bit - hopefully this will give a good compromise between fuel economy, and enough power to keep me happy. :D

GDC200 has already done this with good results, (which I have yet to experience).... don't know if any chip is available for the W211, but you have the kompressor to make up for it if not ... I'm sure you won't find it slow - will just take a bit of getting used to !

Kleemann ( http://www.kleemann.dk ) make a pulley kit for the *200 kompressor models that push the boost up to 0.7bar from 0.5. This takes the 200k engines up to 200bhp :D

Again we are modifying a car before it's bought.

LOL

Just buy a better one or live with it. Sorry, I'm hot and flustered in today's heat.

Originally posted by sym
... I'm sure you won't find it slow - will just take a bit of getting used to !
I hope you're right Sym......

Originally posted by Shude
a pulley kit for the *200 kompressor models that push the boost up to 0.7bar from 0.5. This takes the 200k engines up to 200bhp
Do you think the dealer would notice..... You could be on to something there though, 200 horses and manual would be nice. I wonder how much it costs?

Cheers
OG

Originally posted by OGiii

Do you think the dealer would notice..... You could be on to something there though, 200 horses and manual would be nice. I wonder how much it costs?

shame your new car is "supercharged".... Jimmy has a solution which is removeable apparently, but only for TDs & normally aspirated petrol at the moment, it seems .... so you could take it out if it needed to visit the dealer.... sounding like quite an attractive solution !!

S.

I thought the new 180, 200 and 230 engines were all the same now? i.e. all 1.8 kompressor's but with different software. If so, surely we can just download the 230's engine software onto the 200 engine, thus +30bhp!

Originally posted by OGiii
Probably about £300 plus fitting (an hours work?) You generally can't beat mods that only cost £10 per +1bhp :)

Originally posted by sym
shame your new car is "supercharged".... Jimmy has a solution which is removeable apparently, but only for TDs & normally aspirated petrol at the moment, it seems .... so you could take it out if it needed to visit the dealer.... sounding like quite an attractive solution !!

S.

Not quite true.

The tuning boxes I can get are also available for turbo and supercharged petrols, I have asked for a complet application list for Mercedes petrol and diesel cars.

Originally posted by jimmy
Not quite true.

The tuning boxes I can get are also available for turbo and supercharged petrols, I have asked for a complet application list for Mercedes petrol and diesel cars.

Think you had better keep me informed :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom