Serious electrical issues - safety systems failure + Engine Check Light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pavz

Car
CLS63 AMG S
Hi all,

Looks like I have some serious problem with my car (CLS63 2015 AMG S) and I'm looking for some advice here.

I think there are two different problems but can't say for sure.
First one is the engine check light on the dash. This were reset couple weeks ago by MB dealer by soft update to the throttle bodies (that's what I have been told). Light came back again after few days so I assume the problem is different and must be investigated further and another software update/reset will hot help. The error code related is:

P217616 - Adaptation of the idle position of the throttle calve actuator was not performed. The limit value for the electrical coltage has not been attained.

At that time I also had few Collision prevention Assist Plus inoperative messages on the dash screen, but those were always disappearing few seconds after.
I left the car with the dealer and they updated the software. Problem came back few days later.
With above engine check light car was running just fine, all the power and torque were there and beside the light on the dash - it was drivable.

On the top of the above, after next few days things get worse.
During the drive I started to receive a lot of messages and few different lights started to come up and dissapers frequently.
When I start the car sometimes I can drive for several miles without any problems (except above engine check light which is always there), but sometimes those messages and lights coming back few seconds after I start the engine.
Here are all of them:
- Collision Prevention Assist Plus inoperative
- PRE-SAFE inoperative
- Traction Control inoperative
- Traction Control and ABS inoperative

Above messages coming in conjuction with several lighs:
- Traction Control OFF (yellow) (on the fuel level/temp gauge)
- Traction Control (yellow) on the rev gauge
- ABS (yellow) on the rev gauge
- Brake light with exclamation mark (red) on the rev gauge (this is not for hand brake applied this time)

Screenshot 20180408 002.png

Sometimes it just switches TC off (both yellow TC lights are on, ABS and red Brake light are extinguish) and car is still drivable.

Sometimes all above are on and then car goes in to "safe mode":
- cannot exceed (about) 1500rpm therefore only low speed drive possible
- I can feel turning steering wheel becomes harder, so it affects power steering as well
- speedometer needle drops to zero - doesn't show current speed at all
- at this stage I was having a problem to turn ignition off, normal start/stop button press didn't work, I had to press and hold button for several seconds to turn the engine and ignition off. This happend only once so far as previously car was getting into safe mode only during the drive for very short period of time and it was coming back again. I could see speedo needle going down to zero and in next second or two go up again to the speed I was driving. I think when this was happening also ABS and red Brake light with exclamation mark were also coming on the dash for this short period of time and dissapear as soon as the speedo go back to the right speed). Only once so far it stayed in safe mode until I completely stopped the car and then I discovered I cannot turn it off easily.

I'm devastated as I suspect this will not be easy to fix and my holiday coming in next three weeks ;/ and I can't drive this car with the above problems across the Europe.

Maybe some of you guys had similar problems and could point to what could be the potential issue. I will highly appreciate any help. I'm thinking to leave my car with ACMS Birmingham for investigation as my experience with MB dealer is not best so far - they seems to be not too interested to investigate what the problem is and trying to get rid of me as quick as possible. This is my first Merc and such a disaster - serious car issues plus not best dealer service experience ;(

I've read that a weak battery can cause spurious problems.
Do you have a volt meter to check steady state (engine off after an overnight) and charging voltage (engine running)?
How old are the battery(s)?

"Universal" warning messages from a variety of systems are usually voltage drop related as already stated . This can be due to a faulty component dragging the voltage down but first thing to check is the battery and the alternator output. Any decent vehicle electrics shop [ bosch service centre or similar ?] should be able to test this for you- at considerable lower cost than an MB workshop.

Hi guys,

as suggested by skippyjasper I checked the voltages.
Engine off (not been started for about last 24h) - 12.36V
After I have opened the car door (must be the interior lights, maybe something more) - 12.08V
With engine running - ~14.95V (fluctuate between 14.8-15.0V)
Multimeter recorder the lowest voltage being 9.49V during engine crank.

I have taken masurements under the bonet where positive terminal is exposed for the jump start purposes.
As I can see there is two batteries, one under the bonet and one in the trunk, but as i have no wiring diagrams I cannot tell how both interface each other...

For proper alternator output test I would need to find some workshop as per grober sugestions.

If this issue would be just a weak battery related I would jump up the sky, but knowing life...
Anyway, battery is from new, I have no knowledge any of those two were changed, so now both are roughly 3y and 6 months old (car delivered 10.2014, but as it is after face lift I usually say it is 2015, as people used to think about older shape when I mention 2014).

The overnight voltage is on the edge of low. Might be worth disconnecting the small battery and checking them individually.
The charging voltage seems high at 15. I would expect 14.1 -14.2. Taking the measurement from under the hood is fine.
Probably best to have the car scanned with a good quality MB unit.

I have appointment tomorrow at another MB workshop, I will suggest voltage drop issues and ask to check both batteries and test charging. I let you know when I get my car back. Thanks.

have you changed wheels recently? I asked because I had my 18 inch wheels in for a refurb and the garage gave me a set of 17s for a week and my car was throwing 90% of the errors you listed.

Wheels are original 19's and they comes with the car. I already dropped the car to the dealer as I'm busy tomorrow morning. Will see if they can find anything.

I'm new to this and mercedes so I'm sorry if wrong place. I've had a 2014 Merc Coupe E250 a month and I'm now getting that inoperative message. My mate has a machine that he plugged in and it says software needs updating. He doesn't have software, however how do Merc get away with this as surely this should be illegal as it's made to basically go faulty, if you buy a laptop it updates all the time, surely Merc should do this, I am learning the hard way, a Ford Kuga as the other car and not one problem in years yet Merc problems within a month. Is there anything I can do or do I just have to foot the bill

I do not think they can sort this out just by updating the software. It will help for short time only and come back again. I'm not an expert but I think the problem is canbus and its occassional voltage drops which causes those messages to pop up. Poor connection on one of the connectors may cause this and this is very hard to narrow where the problem is as it comes back to normal straight after. Once the message is on the dash - it won't clear itself, as the fault been recognized and should be checked by MB service first. Then they can't find anything, as the connection is just fine at that moment, but will eventually fail again at some point during the drive.
MB service guys were having my car for couple of days and they were driving it with their laptop connected, constantly scanning the canbus for voltage drops or whatever - I'm not sure, I never have seen a laptop screen. Obviously the fault didn't appear during those test - it would be too easy, so they also checked most of the sensors connections. It look like this helped as since the car came back to me I have no issues anymore.

MB having issues with electrics, fact. These cars are complicated, probably over complicated which makes fault finding almost impossible in case like mine. I think it was pure luck to fix mine, as it was never known where the problem really was. I hope you come across a good technician who will be really interested to help you.

I'm new to this and mercedes so I'm sorry if wrong place. I've had a 2014 Merc Coupe E250 a month and I'm now getting that inoperative message. My mate has a machine that he plugged in and it says software needs updating. He doesn't have software, however how do Merc get away with this as surely this should be illegal as it's made to basically go faulty, if you buy a laptop it updates all the time, surely Merc should do this, I am learning the hard way, a Ford Kuga as the other car and not one problem in years yet Merc problems within a month. Is there anything I can do or do I just have to foot the bill
Mate with a machine won't necessarily be able to interrogate the fault in sufficient depth. Since you're in Blackpool I would suggest going to Blackpool Automotive on Ashworth Road (MB Indie) for a STAR diagnosis. Hourly rate there is £45 plus VAT( as opposed to £120 across the road at the Marshall Group). I've used them several times with great success.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom