Serious incident in Glasgow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've just seen this in the news terrible tragedy there seems to be so much this time of year. Last night two people were shot in their car in sheffield one died one critical plus there have been other similar tragedies across the UK

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Not good , according to some reports at least six have lost their life. My son was heading to the ice rink today with a few of his pals around the time it happened , glad he answered his phone when I called as he normally returns my calls when he can be bothered, tense few minutes for us I can tell you.

Thoughts go to the families affected.

Kenny

Terrible.

The driver looks to have been in incapacitated.

Last edited:
Terrible and a very busy area especially at Christmas with the Christmas fair at George Square

Only a year since the helicopter crash close by - Glasgow now has more dead to mourn - and just before Christmas too.

What a terrible tragedy.

Dreadful. In George Square too.
My heart goes out to the families.

The number of fatalities has now been confirmed at six , with seven more seriously injured .

It appears that the lorry driver was taken ill at the wheel . The report of a taxi being involved seems to refer to one which was hit by the lorry .

By all accounts this was a tragic accident which could easily have happened anywhere , but in such a busy area the number of casualties was inevitably high .

Dreadful, dreadful tragic accident which could have been a lot worse.

Thoughts go to all.

In the immediate aftermath of this tragedy focus will shift to the fitness to drive of the driver of the vehicle. There will be hell to pay if all the necessary driver health checks/assessments are not squeaky clean. There are many medical conditions that might cause the driver to involuntarily lose control of the vehicle- the question is - could it have been possible to avert this tragedy or not? Did this come "out of the blue" or were warning signs ignored? This is not about blame its about preventing future tragedy. I am reminded of this recent incident which might have been a lot worse. :dk:
A-bin-lorry-hangs-off-Hawes-Pier-in-Edinburgh-Scotland.jpg

BBC News - Bin lorry driver dies after South Queensferry pier crash

In the immediate aftermath of this tragedy focus will shift to the fitness to drive of the driver of the vehicle. There will be hell to pay if all the necessary driver health checks/assessments are not squeaky clean. There are many medical conditions that might cause the driver to involuntarily lose control of the vehicle-

Given the nature of the incident you present, an I.Q. test would be a good check to perform.

A bin lorry driver has died after being crushed by his own truck when he tried to stop it rolling out of a car park.

Given the nature of the incident you present, an I.Q. test would be a good check to perform.

One witness describes the lorry driver as "slumped over the wheel"

That sounds more like the driver had a heart attack. Hard to account for that if in perfect health beforehand.

Not the time to start blaming now anyway. Shocking incident and sad times for all involved.

Cheap shot - speculation was the handbrake had failed on that particular vehicle but rather than walk away the guy had tried to do the right thing.
'Sleep well gentle giant': Family pay tribute to tragic binman who was crushed to death by his own truck trying to stop it rolling out car park - Daily Record
Glasgow Council do not have an unblemished record in this area.
BBC News - Glasgow City Council fined after bin lorry kills OAP

Perhaps the whole subject of heavy refuse vehicle working practices in densely populated city centre areas during the working day with lots of people about requires reappraisal?

Last edited:
That sounds more like the driver had a heart attack. Hard to account for that if in perfect health beforehand.

How does standing in front of a lorry sound like he had a heart attack?

Cheap shot - speculation was the handbrake had failed on that particular vehicle

Lorries use air brakes. The air pressure takes the brakes off, so the fail-safe is all wheels locked.

I've known a lorry driver crushed due to not putting the handbrake on when parked on level ground.
The lorry crept forwards slowly, but then trapped him between it and another lorry.

^ The BBC website quotes an eyewitness saying the driver appeared slumped over the wheel.

Two different incidents. I shouldn't have quoted you. My bad as it looks like the same one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom