Serious incident in Glasgow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Glasgow Council do not have an unblemished record in this area.
BBC News - Glasgow City Council fined after bin lorry kills OAP

Perhaps the whole subject of heavy refuse vehicle working practices in densely populated city centre areas during the working day with lots of people about requires reappraisal?

I only know of one other incident involving a refuse collection lorry, a rollover in Nottingham.

Why are there so many in Scotland. Two in Glasgow in under a year is significant.

Dieselman said:
Two in Glasgow in under a year is significant.

Two too many in ANY place.

Not a year though, just over two and in very different circumstances.

Today's tragic event could have been a lot worse given the area and time that it happened.

Today's tragic event could have been a lot worse given the area and time that it happened.

I'm sure. A real tragedy.

Not sure about what calendar they use in Scotland.

The story in grobers link is dated 23 November 2014 Last updated at 12:43

Yup Very very busy at this time of the year.

It hits home after talking to a some friends and family that how many of them were in that area or walked through that area half hour/hour before the incident.

Could have been a lot worse

I only know of one other incident involving a refuse collection lorry, a rollover in Nottingham.

Why are there so many in Scotland. Two in Glasgow in under a year is significant.

I also recall one in Falkirk a few years back where two old ladies were run over , I think by a reversing bin lorry .

While not suggesting this has any bearing on today's incident , there would appear to have been driver training issues on a number of occasions .

I'm sure. A real tragedy.

Not sure about what calendar they use in Scotland.

The story in grobers link is dated 23 November 2014 Last updated at 12:43

Did you care to read that the earlier Glasgow incident took place in August 2012 ? :dk:

Did you care to read that the earlier Glasgow incident took place in August 2012 ?

Since you're going to be such a Donkey about this, here is the complete article.

A bin lorry driver has died after being crushed by his own truck when he tried to stop it rolling out of a car park.

The 58-year-old man was pinned against a wall by the lorry in South Queensferry, near Edinburgh, on Saturday afternoon.

The vehicle then hit a parked car and mounted a pavement before coming to rest on the edge of Hawes Pier.

The man was taken to hospital but later died. Police have appealed for witnesses.

Sgt Brian Smith, from Police Scotland, said: "This tragic accident happened as the driver tried to stop his lorry from rolling out of the car park of the Hawes Inn.

"He was crushed against the wall by the lorry, which then hit a parked Jaguar car before rolling across the road and mounting the pavement. demolishing a bench and fencing before it came to rest hanging over the edge of the pier.

"Although this is a busy road, with a number of pedestrians in the area at the time, fortunately no-one else was injured."

He added: "We are carrying out a full investigation and I am appealing for any witnesses who have not already spoken to us, to call Police Scotland on 101."

Nae then Jimmy...where does the date August 2012 get mentioned?

Where in Glasgow is South Queensferry, near EDINBURGH ?

Oh dear ................

Where in Glasgow is South Queensferry, near EDINBURGH ?

Oh dear ................

I know where South Queensferry is.

I can see where you tried your cheap shot...so two bin lorry incidents in Glasgow in 2 years and another in South Queensferry in November this year and another in Falkirk.

Are all the drivers as pi$$sed as Fire engine drivers?

Last edited:
Since you're going to be such a Donkey about this, here is the complete article.

Nae then Jimmy...where does the date August 2012 get mentioned?
I think LTD was refering to the other Glasgow fatality which occurred in 2012.
3 incidents
Todays, the Edinburgh one in November and the other Glasgow one in 2012

Quote from the BBC report on the 2012 incident.
On the day of the accident, the bin lorry was being driven by agency worker Shaun Kerr.
He was accompanied from the depot at Shieldhall in Govan by labourer Paul Livingstone, a council employee.

As soon as I hear the phrase "agency worker" alarm bells start to ring.

Last edited:

Since you are always correct, your post above.

3 incidents

Very helpful but such a spoilsport.:D For the spectator, this was the best crossed wires argument I have seen in ages.:devil:

3 incidents

Better make that four...Pontoneer says another in Falkirk.

Pretty risky getting your bins emptied in Scotchland.

Shame LTD didn't think to either read your link or post one of his own...;)

Very helpful but such a spoilsport.:D For the spectator, this was the best crossed wires argument I have seen in ages.:devil:

It was good whilst it lasted.

I was waiting for Will to start quoting himself.

The Falkirk one was a number of years ago , not that it makes much difference since even one such incident is one too many .

Try post 15, grober's post. The one with the August link in it.

Since you are fond of links - try these

img_5863.JPG

On the day of the accident, the bin lorry was being driven by agency worker Shaun Kerr.
He was accompanied from the depot at Shieldhall in Govan by labourer Paul Livingstone, a council employee.

As soon as I hear the phrase "agency worker" alarm bells start to ring.

They are all Agency workers, most lorry drivers are, definitely nearly all refuse disposal services.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom