Serious incident in Glasgow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Try post 15, grober's post. The one with the August link in it.

Since you are fond of links - try these

img_5863.JPG

I specifically asked, where was your sausage?

Either way, it's a pretty shocking accident record. Why is it so bad?

They are all Agency workers, most lorry drivers are, definitely nearly all refuse disposal services.

'Definitely nearly' or 'definitely maybe' ? :D

I initially read the two tragedies in a year comment to refer to the tragic helicopter crash barely more than a year ago .

It is particularly sad that what should be one of the happiest times of year for most of us often can be a time of tragedy .

In the immediate aftermath of this tragedy focus will shift to the fitness to drive of the driver of the vehicle. There will be hell to pay if all the necessary driver health checks/assessments are not squeaky clean. There are many medical conditions that might cause the driver to involuntarily lose control of the vehicle- the question is - could it have been possible to avert this tragedy or not? Did this come "out of the blue" or were warning signs ignored? This is not about blame its about preventing future tragedy. I am reminded of this recent incident which might have been a lot worse. :dk:
A-bin-lorry-hangs-off-Hawes-Pier-in-Edinburgh-Scotland.jpg

BBC News - Bin lorry driver dies after South Queensferry pier crash

All the incidents are tragic but in this case - it doesn't matter how big you are - you aint stopping 7 tons.

I thought bin lorries were automatics these days so I'm surprised it wasn't in park - unless you still get manual ones.

All the incidents are tragic but in this case - it doesn't matter how big you are - you aint stopping 7 tons.

I thought bin lorries were automatics these days so I'm surprised it wasn't in park - unless you still get manual ones.

I'd make that 18 tonnes, those compactors weigh a lot.

All are auto's. I suspect it was in neutral and the handbrake was off.

Complete supposition but it could have been in neutral or in drive with hand brake not set or as suggested, it failed.

'Definitely nearly' or 'definitely maybe' ? :D

Most companies only use agency workers so they never have any employment rights.

One beginning with "B" used to employ until the day before the employee had legal rights, then get rid.

Complete supposition but it could have been in neutral or in drive with hand brake not set or as suggested, it failed.

My point earlier was regarding the handbrake failing. To fail, it would have to allow air into the system, the default is all wheels locked under spring pressure.

I just can't see how it could fail and fill the system with air.

Don't they have bowing alleys in Scotland?

My point earlier was regarding the handbrake failing. To fail, it would have to allow air into the system, the default is all wheels locked under spring pressure.

I have a vague recollection of air parking brake levers on some HGV's a while back having a fault causing them to jump off - can't remember details it was a while back .

Until we have the results, everything is supposition but could the driver have taken a stroke rather than a heart attack causing a paralysed leg to force down the accelerator ?

Here is how lorry drivers get crushed by their own lorry.

Lorry driver crushed after cab handbrake left off

May 23, 2013 00:00

A VERDICT of accidental death has been recorded at the inquest of a lorry driver from Redhill who was crushed by his own vehicle.

Bruce Peck, who was 69, failed to put the handbrake on his cab when he was coupling it with a trailer at Reading railway station last January, the inquest at Windsor Guild Hall heard this week.

Lorry driver crushed after cab handbrake left off - Get Surrey

Until we have the results, everything is supposition but could the driver have taken a stroke rather than a heart attack causing a paralysed leg to force down the accelerator ?

Anything's possible , and unlikely we'll know for a while .

I feel some empathy for the truck driver if it was an undiagnosed condition ; I am put in mind of the Range Rover driver who killed two pedestrians outside Buchanan Galleries a couple of years back , after (IIRC) having an epileptic seizure at the wheel ( being previously undiagnosed ) and was prosecuted for it .

I feel some empathy for the truck driver if it was an undiagnosed condition ; I am put in mind of the Range Rover driver who killed two pedestrians outside Buchanan Galleries a couple of years back , after (IIRC) having an epileptic seizure at the wheel ( being previously undiagnosed ) and was prosecuted for it .

BBC News - Parents want blackout death driver William Payne prosecuted

I suspect that some people may be aware of a problem but be 'undiagnosed' because either they are uncomfortable with finding out the truth or because they don't want to face the consequences of a diagnosis.

Is there a possibility that the lever did not activate the actuator/valve when moved to ON meaning the existing air would not be released meaning the brakes were still held off?

This incident has made me very thoughtful. Four days ago I walked the same streets this happened and at almost the same times, hunting down a Christmas pressie for SWMBO. Can't help dwelling on the thought that it would have been some pressie if I'd been there today.

There but for the grace of God.

Deep breath.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom