Serious tyre wear but which replacement..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flackadder

Car
C220 Sport 125 edition Cdi Blue Efficiency 5dr Auto Diesel Estate. W204.
The Continental Conti Sport Contact 5 MO tyres on the front are wearing on the edges bad.... especially the nearside. Rest of the tyre appears to have little wear. The rear are wearing evenly.

I am quite disappointed as the unknown brand I had on when I bought the car, wore down quite evenly. I can only assume the tyres were a much harder compound.

Have had the car on a all wheel alignment thingy twice and is reported as neigh on perfect.

Being paranoid means I want MO stamped on them (Why? I just do). Looking at say, Kwik Fit, for example, I see there is not a great range of options with MO.

Search Results - 225/40Y18

Would be interesting to hear what other people would do ?

Are they wearing on the inner and outer edges? If so, your tyre's are not pumped up enough

Just on the outer edge.....nearside much, much worse.

When was the last time you had the tracking checked?

4 wheel tracking alignment done about 4 months ago..........ideal settings. The wear was starting to show then, by the way. And i am confident is was done correctly and also that I have not done any damage since.

If it's wearing the edges then something is wrong. Every alignment I have had done on a Merc (old or modern) has been screwed up other than at wheels in motion. I wouldn't assume it's done correctly just because of the print out they have given you. Been there, done that.

Good job it was Wheels ion Motion, then. :)

Yep, done that too. maybe try up to 5 psi over.

I would always get any wheel alignment done with new tyres fitted rather than with tyres already showing misalignment wear patterns. Tyre wear is a reflection of existing misalignment forces wearing the tread in such a way as to minimise these forces----- in a sort of "self alignment by wear " process thus meaning that a badly worn misaligned tyre may serve to disguise bad tracking to an extent?

IME rear wheel drive cars tend to wear out the outer shoulders of the fronts and centre of the rears faster than the rest of the tyre. This is because of the turning into roundabouts with the driven rear wheels pushing rather than pulling the car and the driven wheels tendency to spin.

I have, in the past, over inflated the fronts and under inflated the rears to extend tyre life but only within the max or min shown on the fuel filler or wherever.

I'm not trying to say that this is best for handling but only if extended tyre wear is important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom