Seriously irritating problem here..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
German oil burner
Trying to be the bloody DIY mechanic that I make myself out to be, I managed to get myself into a pickle.

Honda Jazz, trying to remove the final security bolt that secures the airbag on the steering wheel and i managed to damage the head bad enough that it will no longer turn. The bolt in its entirety is still intact but without means to put something into the head to turn it.

I've tried drilling it only to leave a dent in the bolt. It ruined most of the drill bits I had which were appropriate for the job.

I even tried calling Thread Doctor services LTD and they outright refused to do it because they've done something similar and it was too much hassle for them and they will not repeat.

I really don't know what to do now. I was contemplating buying some expensive top quality drill bits and just annihilate it, but I don't even know where to start....

Any suggestions?

So basically you need a new head on the biffed about bolt?

Would a tap and die set help?

some more options here?

Remove Broken, Stripped, Rounded or Damaged Bolt Heads, and Nuts

Can you cut accross whats left of the head for a screw driver to urn it?

or these sort of things?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00952166000

209380357p.jpg

It must happen quite a lot on cars with various bolts and nuts etc, the garage guys must have answers :)

If the bolt isn't too tight, you might be able to glue something to the face of the bolt that will allow you to get enough torque on it.

It should go without saying that you should not put yourself in a position where inadvertent airbag deployment will do you any injury.

A picture would certainly help people offer relevant advice.

The danger I guess will be working very close to a live airbag.

There are several options for dealing with a rounded head on a bolt, and I would suggest that drilling it out is one of the last resorts.

Your first attempt should be to reshape the bolt head to allow an alternative socket / adaptor to be used.

But like i said without a picture it is difficult to offer specific advice.....

Can you disconnect the air bag to avoid a surprise?
If so I have had good results with a sharp centre punch carefully applied to the outside of a bolt and tapped with a hammer to get the thread moved and shocked out. It may have locktite or similar as it is a critical safety component that needs to be secure. A mole grip, really tight, if you can get one on. Maybe the dealers workshop could help as they could have come across this before, you are going to have to visit to get the replacement bolt so have a trip there and ask when you go.

Hammering or drilling near what is in effect a BOMB is not advisable which I suspect Thread Doctor wanted nothing to do with it.
Seek professional advice regarding the Airbag before attacking the bolt with any tools.

Just to clarify the airbag is no where near this bolt, nor will it deploy if I have the battery disconnected (which is the case every time I work on it).

Basically its in a very tight spot surrounded by plastic, so I can get anything OVER the bolt to reshape it and pull it out.

I might try superglue-ing something to it and see if it will turn, but it was mighty tight on my first attempt anyway.

I will take a pic of it next time i've removed everything else around it to reveal it, its a bit of a fiddle to get to it in the first instance and the car is in constant use.

If there is enough room you could try using a junior hacksaw blade and try to cut a straight slot across the head so that you can use a flat bladed screwdriver on it. It will be fiddly but may work.

Is this one of the two captive hexagonal bolts in the steering wheel that you reach from the back of the wheel?

Is this one of the two captive hexagonal bolts in the steering wheel that you reach from the back of the wheel?

I think it may be the one you're referring to, but these aren't exactly in the back of the steering wheel more the sides.

The ones in the back of the wheel hold the gearshift buttons in place and they are an absolute **** to get on and off, but i haven't got an issue with these.

Possibly enough room to use a "dremel" with grinding bit , and cut a slot in the head ?

Someone suggested using a tiny air powered grinder with a very small cutting disc, theoretically seems possible but I have no idea where to buy/rent one.

I would try getting hold of some cobalt drill bits and, as you said, just drill it out. Have used cobalt drills to drill out sheared allen screws in the past so these should work.

I had a go with Cobalt drill bits made by 'Silverline' and they were CRAP...

To the technical people out there, please give me a brand name I can trust, I'm not that fussed about the cost now, I just want this bolt out.

Whats a premium brand of drill bits please? anyone know?

I am thinking that you will likely not get this off without damage to either airbag, steering wheel or both.

Are you a betting man?

I use Dewalt bits which have never let me down.

Im thinking you need a dremel kit...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom