Serpentine belt routing on my 2001 E320 cdi????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paultredgett

Car
Merc e320 w210 cdi estate.
Hi all,

Does anyone have a diagram of the serpentine belt routing for the front pulley system for my E320 CDI Y REG 2001 ESTATE.

I have done the search and have looked at the available diagram on here but mine has an extra pulley from the one in the diagram.

I have got the part number for the belt off the G.S.F. website after putting my reg number into their search engine and it threw up 6PK2275 which I believe to be right.
Incidentally.......the extra pulley I have is slightly left of the power steering pump and above the automatic belt tensioner.....approx 3" diameter,it definitely does not show it on the available diagram on here????

many thanks for any help!
Paul.

Hi,
absolutely just found the pic you sent me seconds before I signed back on here,
many thanks franey.
Paul.

serpentine belt replaced!!!!! Solved with explanation

Hi,

I got round to fitting the belt this afternoon and in actual fact I found it pretty easy and I would suggest if you are ok with a spanner then it is a do it yourself job!

Quick run thru.....

0.Remove the engine top covers.

1.Remove the radiator shroud. It Easily pulls up past the radiator!

2.Remove the large plastic airbox/turbo pipes from the left of the fan area.

3.Remove the viscous fan......
the plastic bit with the blades on only, it is held on with three allen/hex key bolts, you can just see them if you turn the blades, mark the fan as you find the bolts to help when re-fitting.
It is a tight job but I found it easy using a long reach allen key!

Once this is done then to remove the old belt you need a 17 mm socket which fits the auto tensioner release bolt perfectly, if you look to the left of the tensioner you will see a star bolt, put your 17mm socket on and turn anti-clock wise, whilst holding the bolt anti clockwise remove your serpentine belt from the tensioner wheel and then remove completely ready for the new one.

(Tip..use a 2-3 foot long hollow bar extension on your ratchet handle when turning the tension release bolt to give yourself some room to remove belt and re-fit the new one!)

Thats it job done!

Just remember to take note of the belt routing before you remove the old one, although if you read back thru my posts there is a diagram of the routing.

If like mine your old belt shredded itself then remember that you need to remove all the cords that were part of the belt which will now be wrapped completely around most of the pulleys, I used one of those stanley knives you get from b and q with the really long blades to cut thru it all.

I found that lots of the cord from the belt wrapped itself around the back/inside of the viscous fan and it wasn't obvious by just looking at it!

I made a tool out of a large steel bungee hook to get behind the viscous coupling to pull a strand free so I could unravel it, there was approx 1 meter of the cord in there when I had removed it all so make sure you check that out as viscous fans are expensive and need to spin almost freely!!!

Very do able and if your belt is intact then I would say it is a 2 hour job maximum if you can use a spanner etc.

If your belt has shredded then it took me 2.5 hours to remove all the cord of which 1 hour was spent removing cord from the viscous fan because you cant get a stanley knife in there to cut it.

Cheers all,
Paul.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom