Service-£139

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sarah.grandon

Car
Mercedes clk
Hi all, I've contacted local MB and they have informed me of a value service for vehicles over 7 years old for £139 including, oil and filter change?? Wanted to know if this is good value or not, not sure what indie would charge for that ??

sarah.grandon said:
Hi all, I've contacted local MB and they have informed me of a value service for vehicles over 7 years old for £139 including, oil and filter change?? Wanted to know if this is good value or not, not sure what indie would charge for that ??

Hi it's more than just a oil and filter change it's pretty much a A service, I bet no indie will beat the price

If your Mercedes-Benz is more than 7 years old, you can now choose a Value Service to keep your older car in perfect running order. No surprises, no hidden costs, just straightforward car service prices to keep your Mercedes–Benz running smoothly.

The Mercedes–Benz Value Service includes:

Full inspection, including:
Visual brake inspection
Check tyres
Check wipers and washers
Check seat belts
Check suspension components
Inspect Poly–V belt
Brake fluid level
Power steering fluid level
Check lights
Re–set service indicator
Oil and filter change
Mercedes–Benz GenuineParts*
Free service measures updates
Free car wash
* At the discretion of the Retailer

Please note that the Value Service does not follow the Manufacturers Recommended Service Schedule and your 30 years perforation and corrosion warranty and your free Roadside Assistance (dependent on age of vehicle cover will vary) will be lost.

The Mercedes-Benz Value Service excludes collection and delivery and loan car charges if required.

Hi it's more than just a oil and filter change it's pretty much a A service, I bet no indie will beat the price

If your Mercedes-Benz is more than 7 years old, you can now choose a Value Service to keep your older car in perfect running order. No surprises, no hidden costs, just straightforward car service prices to keep your Mercedes–Benz running smoothly.

The Mercedes–Benz Value Service includes:

Full inspection, including:
Visual brake inspection
Check tyres
Check wipers and washers
Check seat belts
Check suspension components
Inspect Poly–V belt
Brake fluid level
Power steering fluid level
Check lights
Re–set service indicator
Oil and filter change
Mercedes–Benz GenuineParts*
Free service measures updates
Free car wash
* At the discretion of the Retailer

Please note that the Value Service does not follow the Manufacturers Recommended Service Schedule and your 30 years perforation and corrosion warranty and your free Roadside Assistance (dependent on age of vehicle cover will vary) will be lost.

The Mercedes-Benz Value Service excludes collection and delivery and loan car charges if required.

Thanks for that love, so if I get this service, would I be entitled to free roadside ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that love, so if I get this service, would I be entitled to free roadside ??

Guess not from the last line.....and your free Roadside Assistance (dependent on age of vehicle cover will vary) will be lost.

From what was quoted above ----NO ----but check with the dealer offering the service--- by EMAIL!!;)
In many respects servicing and repairs are linked on older cars. Its all to do with building a relationship with the garage working on your car. The more routine work you put their way I would suggest the more likely you are to get a reasonable deal on any future repairs. This applies equally to decent main dealers or any good independent you chose to use?

sarah.grandon said:
Thanks for that love, so if I get this service, would I be entitled to free roadside ?? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As above it says no but that is not always the case ;0)

...Please note that the Value Service does not follow the Manufacturers Recommended Service Schedule and your 30 years perforation and corrosion warranty and your free Roadside Assistance (dependent on age of vehicle cover will vary) will be lost...

It's a no-frills version of the 'proper' A/B Service, meant to compete with indies. I wonder if/how they stamp the book (or record the service online)?

markjay said:
It's a no-frills version of the 'proper' A/B Service, meant to compete with indies. I wonder if/how they stamp the book (or record the service online)?

Hi Mark

The book is stamped and i have seen the dealer hand write " value service" on the page, no idea if it's recorded online.

You will lose the free roadside assistance but just pay the AA or RAC £40 for the year and save a couple of hundred pounds on the service. The 30 year perforation guarantee isn't worth anything either.

Beware taking an older car to a main dealer.

Note that pretty much all of the above are just 'checks'. If - or rather when - they check something that requires work or parts, that price can quickly escalate.

My car was 9 years old when I bought it, and I took it to Mercedes in Oxford for an MOT and a free health check. The worst they could manage for the MOT was a tyre that needed replacing, but the health check revealed a long list of problems that 'need to be fixed within 2 months' and which totalled over £1,400.

I thanked them for the report and took it to the nearest reputable independent I could find (Star in Reading) and asked them to fix these issues. After they'd had the car for an hour they called to tell me that almost all the work was totally unnecessary. In the end, as they had the car, they did a couple of bits for a total of about £200, much to their credit.

I expect some dealers are better than others, but it felt to me very much like I was a wallet waiting to be emptied.

I'd find a decent, trustworthy independent, especially if (like me) you know pretty much nothing about cars.

First time I took my car in for service the Indi I used (WDM Cars in Birmingham - great guys) they reported that one of the air boxes was slightly damaged. One of the screws was damaged to they secured it with a simple nut and bolt fix at no additional cost. I strongly suspect a MB main agant would have wanted to fit a new air box.

I recently had my SL500 serviced under the 7 year service option and i had very good service from my local MB dealer in Stevenage. I paid £159 and was given a report on any issues they found, luckily only one issue, a slightly cracked high level brake light lens.

flowrider99 said:
I recently had my SL500 serviced under the 7 year service option and i had very good service from my local MB dealer in Stevenage. I paid £159 and was given a report on any issues they found, luckily only one issue, a slightly cracked high level brake light lens.

I have recently also had a couple of Amg cars serviced under the value service and surprise surprise had no issues!

Better value than the £420 price the service plan works out as.

To be honest, if I'm not getting any benefit like Mobilo Life then I might as well change the oil and filters myself and sign my own name in the log book.

It's a decision I still need to make as the date of my next "B" service is looming.

Beware taking an older car to a main dealer.

Note that pretty much all of the above are just 'checks'. If - or rather when - they check something that requires work or parts, that price can quickly escalate.

My car was 9 years old when I bought it, and I took it to Mercedes in Oxford for an MOT and a free health check. The worst they could manage for the MOT was a tyre that needed replacing, but the health check revealed a long list of problems that 'need to be fixed within 2 months' and which totalled over £1,400.

I thanked them for the report and took it to the nearest reputable independent I could find (Star in Reading) and asked them to fix these issues. After they'd had the car for an hour they called to tell me that almost all the work was totally unnecessary. In the end, as they had the car, they did a couple of bits for a total of about £200, much to their credit.

I expect some dealers are better than others, but it felt to me very much like I was a wallet waiting to be emptied.

I've always used the dealer for my car but what you wrote is exactly the same experience as I had last time they serviced it - except the estimate for work was around 3 grand. Probably more than the car was worth. About £1000 was pads and disks all round as the discs were going rusty through lack of use.

They'd done a health check a few months prior and MOT'd with not even an advisory a couple of months before.

An indie fixed a slight gearbox oil leak and, as his price for brakes was half the dealers I went mad and decided to get those done too.

I think I just got the wrong technician on the last visit. I tried to take it up the dealership but they completely stone-walled me.

One thing the OP will have to deal with is an indie will probably be a little more expensive for a basic service than the dealer is quoting. The dealers price is set in the expectation that they'll be able to generate extra work. Dealer group staff are targetted very aggressively on how much work they can find.

As you don't get the roadside cover I don't see any point in using the dealer. Would be better to get them to do an A service cheaper and get roadside included. Bear in mind the coverage on older cars is very limited though - make sure it covers your needs.

Last edited:
From what was quoted above ----NO ----but check with the dealer offering the service--- by EMAIL!!;)

In many respects servicing and repairs are linked on older cars. Its all to do with building a relationship with the garage working on your car. The more routine work you put their way I would suggest the more likely you are to get a reasonable deal on any future repairs. This applies equally to decent main dealers or any good independent you chose to use?

I've just emailed them, asking for full breakdown, so will let you know. I've let them know it's just passed mot too !!

I have AA cover, which I'd much prefer to the Mercedes roadside cover which again seems designed to get you back to a dealer. (This seems worth it for cars under warranty but not for older cars.)

Rory, I remember one of the items on my list was corrosion on inner front brake discs. From memory they wanted about £400 to scrape the rust off. The discs were only 10% used. They are still perfectly fine.

The good thing with a decent independent garage is they will check to see what needs doing, and where possible fix it. The dealer seemed to look for problems, and then replace parts.

Last edited:
People please!
Remember this is a teaser to get you in the door !
All dealers (not just in the UK) do this with cut rate oil changes and checks.

I don't run daily/. weekly/ monthly specials, but I do conduct a basic 25 point mechanical/safety inspection for free as an Independent to all my regular customers. That includes a quick scan test (who doesn't want a free "quicky" :devil:) even if its a teaser bunged in at the same time !

If you are a "drop" in its 50% of my shop rate, but a full 1 hour check/scan interrogation (much as described is our full shop rate applies).
Remember it's all about upsell and generate retail business, just like going to Mcdonalds with their special menu pricing options.
Take care and hoping you don't get wobbly kneed !
Tuercas Viejas

I've had a couple of the free MB health checks and a 7+ service before, cannot fault them. All have been on older/higher mileage 10-15 year old cars and they were very fair with their findings/recommendations.

I have never felt pressured into any work at all, nice to have a second pair of eyes over your car even if you get it serviced elsewhere.

Free gift usually, tea/coffee etc and they wash and vac the cars too.

7+ service inclusive of the usual stamp, screenwash, inspection and video report etc.

Give it a go, no obligation for any additional work - you can get that done another time or at an indi/DIY as appropriate :)

Rory, I remember one of the items on my list was corrosion on inner front brake discs. From memory they wanted about £400 to scrape the rust off. The discs were only 10% used. They are still perfectly fine.

The good thing with a decent independent garage is they will check to see what needs doing, and where possible fix it. The dealer seemed to look for problems, and then replace parts.

To be fair, I asked both the dealer and the indie about "servicing" the brakes - when was younger and serviced my own cars I always used to strip and clean the brakes - and they both refused, saying it wasn't worth it. I think they make good profit on the parts, as well as the fitting charge so don't want to work for labour only.

If it happens again I'll look at getting them skimmed - seems remarkably cheap especially if I can persuade the garage to clean the caliper sliders etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom