Service B ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisW6

Car
Mercedes Viano Extra Long 2.2 CDI
I finally got the car of my dreams 6 months ago. My Viano Extra Long, which I think the dog loves even more than me. So yes I’m new to mbclub so apologies if this has already been covered.

A few weeks ago the service b message started appearing at 69k. So as the replacement battery was fairly reasonable from MB Brentford I thought I’d phone them for a quote on the service. I knew it wasn’t going to be good when she said she had to put me on hold to calculate the total. Twenty minutes later I was hit with a £750 figure. Apparently because this is a really major / important service. Being the sceptic that I am, I can’t help but think I’m being well and truly rogered.

Am I right in thinking that a ‘Service A’ is equateable to your standard ‘Interim Service’, and that a ‘Service B’ is equateable to a standard ‘Full Service’.

A Full Service costing just £200 at K*** F** or somewhere similar.

The last thing I want is to f-up the car, but equally don’t relish MB bending me over for £750 every twelve months.

Your words of wisdom greatly appreciated

Last edited:
If it's out of the (MB) warranty period you can go anywhere. In fact I believe legally you can whilst under warranty. I think in the handbook it gives you a list of items to be checked at each service so you could pick a decent local garage and get them to do the job. I would.

Go to the following site Mercedes-Benz ESS

That will tell you what is required, which will most likely be a Service B plus a load of mileage / year based additional items which is why the KF price will be much lower (it will only be the basic service B and not the additional).

The best middle ground it to find a good local Mercedes independent who can do the proper job at a lower price than the main dealer.

It will be things like pollen filters, brake fluid change, spark plugs (if petrol) etc of which most likely none will be in the KF pricing.

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice

I did visit Mercedes-Benz ESS and was pleased to see there wasn't anything above and beyond what I would consider to be the normal service checks and fluid changes.

So I just gave MB Brentford another ring to see if they can email me what they are proposing to do, and give them the accurate mileage of 63K (previously thought to be 70K), only to be told that the price previously quoted was incorrect, and the new total was just over £1,000. Which includes; automatic transmission oil and filter change, brake fluid change, and replacing dust filters for front and rear heating / ventilation. In addition to the standard Service B checks.

Needless to say I'm definitely going down the Mercedes Independent Garage route, FOREVER. So if anyone can recommend one in West London (near Hammersmith) I'd really like to hear from you.

Thanks Again

Chris

NB - was also advised the prices on all MB Service Plans go up today at 3pm

Needless to say I'm definitely going down the Mercedes Independent Garage route, FOREVER. So if anyone can recommend one in West London (near Hammersmith) I'd really like to hear from you.

Thanks Again

Chris

Unfortunately, not W London but its well worth the drive to NW London to see Terry at Wayne Gates in Harrow. Always top of the list for recommended London indies, you'll save a fair bit over main dealer.

Wayne Gates Specializing in Mercedes Benz

Reactions: GLK
Unfortunately, not W London but its well worth the drive to NW London to see Terry at Wayne Gates in Harrow. Always top of the list for recommended London indies, you'll save a fair bit over main dealer.

Wayne Gates Specializing in Mercedes Benz
^^^^
+1

Terry at Wayne Gates is highly recommended. He is also a member on this forum.

Reactions: GLK
Thanks

Will give him a call

£1000 for B+ATF+BF?! OUCH!!!!! You can pretty much halve that for an independant (just worked it out here!)
Natacha

As above highly recommended :)

Like wise. Black C55 (Prestige Car Service/ PCS) is one of the most highly recommended independents about. I’ve been using them for years, my dad who lives not too far from you also uses them and my partner is also about to use them too. Honest, reliable, knowledgable and friendly garage with none of the BS that you get from main dealers and at a reasonable cost.
It’s a nice easy drive down the A3 to Horndean and if you don’t fancy waiting with your car they can usually provide a courtesy car on request at nominal cost whilst you can get a coffee, grab some lunch and browse the shops at Gunwharf Quays about 15mins drive from them. What’s not to like?

Like wise. Black C55 (Prestige Car Service/ PCS) is one of the most highly recommended independents about. I’ve been using them for years, my dad who lives not too far from you also uses them and my partner is also about to use them too. Honest, reliable, knowledgable and friendly garage with none of the BS that you get from main dealers and at a reasonable cost.
It’s a nice easy drive down the A3 to Horndean and if you don’t fancy waiting with your car they can usually provide a courtesy car on request at nominal cost whilst you can get a coffee, grab some lunch and browse the shops at Gunwharf Quays about 15mins drive from them. What’s not to like?
^^^^^^
As above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom