Service B

Discussion in 'Engine' started by Deadhead, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Deadhead

Deadhead Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W205 C200 estate
    So... there I was happily trundling along towards my next Service A when the message "Service B 1300 miles" appeared in the instrument cluster.
    Is this normal?

The car is a 2006 C220 CDI estate. It had a Service A at 17000 and a B at 36000. It's now sitting at 58500 which admittedly is quite a big gap since the last visit to MB of Bedford. The gap seemed to increase after I added a litre of synthetic 5000 miles ago.

Anyway why would the car suddenly decide that a Service A wouldn't be good enough?
    And while I'm at it, is it likely that it'll ask for a change of gearbox oil like it did at the last Service B?
    [I've tried searching but the search engine doesn't appreciate single letters like, for instance, A or indeed B]

2. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    The B service is due to the extended interval since the last service, partially due to the oil top off.

It's not ready for another ATF change yet.

3. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler MB Club Veteran

Car:
    ML AMG-line Black Series
    Happened to me when the countdown turned to 1,000 miles to go. Happened to others too on here.

I suspect it happens when the service interval is extended by topping up with oil. Sort of payback for making the dealer wait longer for their money!!

Seems like it may apply to you - I wonder if others who have experienced this also topped up?

Gearbox oil change is usually 37,500 miles, so unlikely you'll need another.

Brake fluid is every two years though, and so may bite.

4. Rory

Rory MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C270CDi Estate (late 2004 facelift model)
    It should alternate A & B but mine changed just as yours did - however the dealer cheerfully did an A service. However I've seen other reports from high mileage users who say there cars always have B services.
    I also think that the car is supposed to have a B service every 2 yrs, so if the car thinks it isn't going to back at the dealers in that time frame then it'll ask for a B service rather than A.

The ATF change is a one-off. MB don't call for it to be done again.

Tags: