Service books no longer issued?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bulldoze

I was told by a MB main dealer that cars produced after 2008 no longer have service books issued and that it is all done on computer records now, is this true? has anybody been issued a service book on a new car?

If this is the case then it seems MB are trying to keep cars within the main dealer network as much as they can, how are independents supposed to stamp service books now? and what are the implications with selling a car without a service book?

True. Called a Digital Service Record.

I get a stamped receipt of my service which I keep, it's basically the same.

If this is the case then it seems MB are trying to keep cars within the main dealer network as much as they can..

If this is the case, then they sure are... but the market will respond by abandoning the 'holly' service book, and settling for keeping garage and servicing bills instead. To be honest, the garage bills are actually more reliable, as they can be verified to an extent (to an extent - because it is very easy to fake bills from a garage that went out of business), while service book stamps are easily faked - to many people seem to have a 'friend' that works for a franchised garage...

This is true, just bought a CLC 58 plate from local dealership and asked for the service book, told thats its all computerised but they would print out the service records if I wanted them.

Mine is a 2008 and it has a Service book so looks like it may have been one of the last ones. MB are using every available trick to drum up business. I always keep all my stuff relating to cars, an owner that is fastidious on keeping documentation is likely to look after things. Much the same as original boxes and packaging and ancillary stuff with camera gear, much less likely to be abused than a lens or camera with nothing.

With regard to sale time, any MB dealer can print off the service record on MB headed paper - mine was also signed by the service manager for authenticity.

However, that still means you need a service book for the indies to stamp if you choose to service outside the dealer network.

Just keep the invoices? It's a record of work done and that is all that is needed?

I do my own servicing , although I seldom sell cars on , I do keep receipts for parts and consumables like oil and so forth . Alongside that , I note work in the service books , logging dates and mileages along with my initials .

I would be more than happy to buy a car with the above , although I just generally go on condition .

You can buy a service book from any dealer parts dept. Big drawback is that it is perforated with the word 'Duplicate' however it's a lot better than nothing and can be stamped up by main dealer and indie.

Two numbers on the back are...

6515 8027 02 and 208 584 01 93

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom