Service Brake - Visit Workshop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriscls

Car
2005 CLS 500 V8
Ok got into the car a minute ago and seen this message on dash.

The message appears in white, which is apparently a good way for Mb to make money. If red it means business?

I also had msgs on weekend asking me to check rear brake lights, not sure if theres a connection but these have since gone.

Should I be worrying? and what should be done?

Thanks!

Stored fault codes need to be investigated with STAR. Have you got a local Merc indy?

Hopefully not the dreaded SBC about to fail.

Stored fault codes need to be investigated with STAR. Have you got a local Merc indy?

Hopefully not the dreaded SBC about to fail.

Yes how long would it take them to diagnose this?

Is it safe to continue driving, does car go into limp or anything?

Re brake lights, maybe worth while checking the brake light switch. I too had a similar message mine was RED but it hasnt returned (touch wood) i think it was down to the aux battery being low on charge.

Yes how long would it take them to diagnose this?

Is it safe to continue driving, does car go into limp or anything?

It shouldn't take long to diagnose the problem.
Could be many things from worn out Aux battery not holding charge (SBC recharges using this battery I understand), main battery low on charge, down to the SBC unit itself.

Never seen that particular message so I really can't advise on safety issues or limp mode. For the sake of a relatively inexpensive STAR diagnosis, it will ease your mind and make things clear if you have a problem.

Thanks, there seems to be alot of confusion regarding the 10 year/lifetime warranty of the SBC units.

Does this render the car useless or simply increase braking distance?

One of my customers had a cls500 2005 121k on the clock, same warning (failing/failed sbc unit) he paid £70 diag sbc 100% covered by merc

I believe you have zero brake power assistance, and its abit hairy when it does go so ive read. :(

Thanks, there seems to be alot of confusion regarding the 10 year/lifetime warranty of the SBC units.

Does this render the car useless or simply increase braking distance?

If sbc fail you will probably loose around 70-80% of your braking power.

One of my customers had a cls500 2005 121k on the clock, same warning (failing/failed sbc unit) he paid £70 diag sbc 100% covered by merc

Mine is an 05 CLS with 76k on clock.

If sbc fail you will probably loose around 70-80% of your braking power.

But to look on the bright side, neither MB forum has reported an accident following a sudden SBC failure,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yet:eek:

Mine is an 05 CLS with 76k on clock.

Unfortunately mileage/age doesn't appear to be relevant in SBC failures. It's more rural and town driving with brake pedal presses being the deciding factor. Not sure of the number, 300.000 possibly before renewal or a reset.

Just to add this was may this year, full merc history bar the last 2 by me.

This has only had 1 MB service, the rest indy or otherwise. A component that compromises the safety of a person should be fully replaced by MB at any cost.

This has only had 1 MB service, the rest indy or otherwise. A component that compromises the safety of a person should be fully replaced by MB at any cost.

If only Mercedes agreed with you.

If only Mercedes agreed with you.

Surely the brakes of a car is fundamental to safety, especially if you lose up to 70% of their capacity?

What if I have an accident, will MB claim they are not liable? The conflicting stories are sickening, a limit should not be voluntarily placed on a part.

I hope I get a good outcome, question is do I get MB to diagnose or an indy as I fear the indy wont be able to fit me in given the urgency.

Surely the brakes of a car is fundamental to safety, especially if you lose up to 70% of their capacity?

What if I have an accident, will MB claim they are not liable? The conflicting stories are sickening, a limit should not be voluntarily placed on a part.

I hope I get a good outcome, question is do I get MB to diagnose or an indy as I fear the indy wont be able to fit me in given the urgency.

If you are going to try for a replacement under waranty, best get MB to code read and diagnose the issue.

2015 yours is should still be within that 10 year waranty period

Seen this on another forum. Would the part regarding the white error make sense given my lamp issues on the weekend?

"A light will appear in the cluster saying "Service Brake Visit Workshop". There are 2 different colored lights you may get. Red and white. Red usually means some sort of pump failure, but not always the pump itself. Sometimes it needs a control unit update and that is all, which is covered by the SBC warranty. Another part called the pre tension reservoir can fail which is not covered on the warranty. It is the large sphere on the back of the hydraulic unit. That part alone can cost you about $700 alone. The pump failing by itself is covered though. Sometimes if the failure codes for the pump aren't there, if the service life is checked it will say the threshold has been reached which means it can be replaced. I've replaced atleast a hundred of them. But again only the pump itself failing will get you a new hydraulic unit.

A light on the cluster in white saying the same thing only means a brake lamp switch is defective, or other minor brake system issue. "

Wifey told me similar msge appeared on my dash about a week ago (am away), mine is a red battery symbol displaying 'visit workshop'. Having done a bit of research, it may be the aux battery, going to test the battery voltages over the weekend when I am back and hope, it just needs a new aux battery and its nothing to do with the SBC on its way out! Quoted circa £70 for aux battery which is considerably less than the SBC replacement cost. Keep us posted Chris with your outcome.

^ Quite possibly. Brake light switch failure or low battery can cause your warning message. Stick a new switch in and see what happens. Under £15 and an easy DIY job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom