Service Bulletins

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony Russell

Car
Vaneo. 1.7CDi. I know. Stop laughing ! I need an MPV and it had to be Mercedes. OK ?
Hello,
Who gets access to MB service bulletins (if that's what they are called) ?
Is it only dealers, or do subscribing independents, or people who pay for STAR contracts get them too ?

Reason I ask is that I had a long standing problem that no indies or garages could help with.
I spoke to the service people at the dealer several times and they said they'd never heard of it.
The parts guy in the dealer grabbed a passing diagnostician (I think) the other day who said "Oh yeah - we see that a lot. In fact there was a bulletin on it a while back".

Understandably, they want £85 +VAT to look at it and he wasn't for talking much more than that.
I'd like to read up on it first in order to make a bit of an informed judgement before I throw any more money into the pit.

So, can anyone advise on these bulletins ?

thanks,
Tony

Hi,
The issue is with my diesel 1.7 CDi A Class Vaneo - no A/C.

It keeps breaking poly V belts.
I probably get around 2 months average out of one, then they come to bits.
It's become more frequent over the past few years, and seems to be more prevalent after any occasionn when the engine has been left idling for a time - cold mornings, traffic jam, MOT.

So, I have replaced all the bits you can without dropping the engine, ie
the pulley wheels that come on that tensioner assembly - I've bought two assembly's so far to get bits, but never replaced the actual assembley as it needs an engine drop.
The last job was done at a well spoken of indy, and failed after 2 months.
So you'll see why I want to really understand the root cause.

I haven't replaced the crankshaft pulley or the water pump one (the two highest up).

I have had two brackets break (the steel bracket that bolts onto the tensioner assembly.

The diag in the dealers told me this week "It's an alignement problem. We have seen a few and there was a bulletin a while back. We just replace the whole assembly".

I asked how they align the new one, and he said it's located by dowels - but that was all he said.

So, either that means the original alignment in the build was wrongly manufactured and that a replacement would sort it, or it can simple be re-aligned without replacing and dropping the engine - but how ?

Now, given that the job would be about £500 for the labour and anopther £300 for the assembly that I've already bought twice to scavenge bits, I'd rather figure out whether this is really a known and fixable issue or not before throwing money after a "fix" that might not be valid.
If you see what I mean.

I can supply photo's and a history of some of the failed bits if it helps.

thanks,
Tony

Wow !
The tensioner movement in the video certainly seems similar to mine.
The boys at the local indie had suggested it was the belt tensioner spring that was on it's way out (I didn't really buy that myself).

What is the solution in this case ? Is it just the pulley wheel, or does the alternator have to come out ?

thanks,
Tony

Wow !
The tensioner movement in the video certainly seems similar to mine.
The boys at the local indie had suggested it was the belt tensioner spring that was on it's way out (I didn't really buy that myself).

What is the solution in this case ? Is it just the pulley wheel, or does the alternator have to come out ?

thanks,
Tony

Depends on access. There's a special tool for doing it- most vehicle electricians and good MB independents will have them. I think many can be done in situ but not sure about Vaneos?

Thanks for that.

This pulley overrun clutch - is it internal to the alternator ?
The diagrams in your video look like it's in the pulley wheel.
Found this doc BTW:
http://www.ina.de/content.ina.de/en...uct_range/mot3400/mot3410/mot3414/mot3414.jsp
http://www.pprok.com/pweb/c/get_webdoc?v_pw_id=34
http://www.schaeffler.com/remotemed...arket/catalogue/downloads_2/lit_077_en_en.pdf

I'm just trying to figure out who I would take it to to look at.

I'm still interested in this alleged bulletin regarding the alignment as well though.

thanks,
Tony

Last edited:
Does anyone have access to the service bulletins for this model then ?
Still keen to read up on it before committing to a "just sort it" at the dealers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom