Service Care Plan

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Faceliftw211, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Faceliftw211

Faceliftw211 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W211 E220 CDI Avantgarde
    Hi guys/girls, I took out a S.C.P when I purchased my used W211 E220 CDi in April this year. I have payed in £31.00 a month since so was interested to see what exactly the dealer would do regarding the service when I booked it in.
    The fateful day came and I chose not to mention in advance that the car had a S.C.P.
    I had heard rumours that dealers would only do the bare minimum if the car was covered by a plan, whereas if it wasn't they would pile in with lots of extras.
    Well 4.25pm the dealership calls and says the car is ready to be collected. So along I trott to be greeted by a most professional gentleman who proceeds to run thru the work that was carried out. This incuded a "B" service, Gearbox Service (oil & filter change), Combination Filter and a couple of other minor items. additionally they carried out a " Winter " check over. They also replaced a L/H/F lower ball joint. They also did a decent valet inside and out. I was then handed an invoice for £0.00 !! The chap confirmed the plan did cover all the above except the ball joint which was covered under warranty.
    The plan certainly seems to be working for me. The one question I did have was regarding the ball joint; Should they be replaced in pairs or if there is only a little play in one, is it ok to replace just the one?

4 people like this.
  2. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    Result :thumb:

As far as I know, it's only shocks and springs that should be replaced in pairs, not ball joints.

But even so - if the item being replaced simply failed very prematurely, there would be a case to say that its pair has not yet deteriorated significantly compared to a new item to have an impact on the overall balance of the suspension.

1 person likes this.
  3. steve333

steve333 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E220 bluetec amg night edition 2016 in polar white.(his),E220 blutec Amg sport coupe in iridium silv
    Hi,i took out a 2year/2 servicecare plan when i bought my current cls last year & like you had heard the same vibes re the service care plan so was a bit sceptical & asked the question on here & learned that by going onto mb's website & accessing ESS(electronic service sheet) the day before the service is due it will list exactly what is going to be done & the service type(A/B).I pay £35 a month(£840 over 2 years)& the 1st service(feb this year)was an A & i had some warranty work done free of charge(camshaft sensor).In february the 2nd & final service is due & by accessing/making my cr the age it will be come service day now Ess requests B service,brake fluid change,combination filter & 16 spark plugs,added together with the A service i've already had then i would have to pay about £1200 so i reckon the plan will save me about £360 added to the fact i don't miss £35 a month like i would stumping up a ££££'s bill once a year i'm a happy bunny:);).

1 person likes this.
  4. reason42

reason42 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E250 Coupe 2014 facelift CDI AMG Sport Line
    I've had my car for 2 months (4000 miles). Can I get the service plan now or does it have to be when the car has been bought?

5. steve333

Car:
    E220 bluetec amg night edition 2016 in polar white.(his),E220 blutec Amg sport coupe in iridium silv
    From memory the only condition is the car has to be upto 3 years old when the plan is taken out.

1 person likes this.
  6. DSM10000

DSM10000 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    E32O CDi Sport, MX5 1.8 Sport, RR 4.2 SC
    Brake pads and discs should also only be replaced in matched pairs:thumb:

2 people like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Faceliftw211

Faceliftw211 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W211 E220 CDI Avantgarde
    I am pretty sure that it is up 5 years old and the next service must be at least 3 months away. The details are on the main Mercedes website.

1 person likes this.
  8. John

John MB Club Veteran

Car:
    I wish.
    I'm sensing an atmosphere of "It's a miracle this idea has anything to do with Mercedes..." in here...

1 person likes this.
  9. steve333

Car:
    More a case of being a bit cunning when on the plan,what you need to do is book the car in for it's service then the day it is due in enter your cars details into ESS & take a print(mines due a "B service,brake fluid change,spark plugs(16) & filters)& hand it to the service manager thats dealing with your car when you arrive,just look at his face when he asks how you will be paying & you reply "i'm on the service plan":);)

1 person likes this.
  10. chitaxmoto

chitaxmoto Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    coupe
    they only insist on both sides when out of warranty

11. krisw123

krisw123 Active Member

Car:
    C Class Coupe C200K Evo and C Class Coupe 250CDI 125 Edition
    Have my partners 57 Reg C Class Coupe C200K on Service Plan. Took it out last year knowing the big 4 year service was coming up (gear box oil change etc.). Total bill came to just short of £1000. Service manager rang me up to tell me the cost and actually asked if I was interrested in joining the Service Plan! When I told him we are already on it he semed genuinely pleased. Always get great service from Tony Purslow Basingstoke.

12. John

John MB Club Veteran

Car:
    I wish.
    He might be able to get some film work out of it, you never know!

1 person likes this.
  13. steve333

Car:
    Did they cover the whole bill on the service plan(atf/filter included)?

14. tylerdurden

tylerdurden Hardcore MB Enthusiast

just been on the website,

£33.50 for 4y/4 services on an e class

so total spend is £1608. With 4 services this equates to £402 per service.

I've had my 1st A service as car is over 1y old.

This means I could have a B,A,B,A service for £400 on average.

Am I missing something?

15. @MARK

@MARK Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Audi A7 Quattro
    The service plan is provided by MB centrally. In theory you could go to any dealer for any service.

So just like warranty, you would expect the MB service department to find as much work as possible they can possibly get paid for under the plan in the same way they will always actively look for warranty work when the car is in.

It's cash for the dealer and no cost to you. Why expect anything less?

I took the plan on my car when I bought it. I added up every serviceable item (because the dealer was kind enough to publish them) and then compared that total cost against the total cost of the service plan. There was a noticeable saving and that assumed that the service costs won't increase over the next 3 years.

So I paid for the whole lot up front and don't have to worry about such things for a long time.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  16. ironsheik

ironsheik Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W204 C200CDI SPORT.
    After the service plan has expired, do they give you an option to renew/continue it?

17. @MARK

Car:
    Audi A7 Quattro
    Don't forget things like brake fluid and transmission fluid changes are also included.

18. @MARK

Car:
    Audi A7 Quattro
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  19. Rory

Rory MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C270CDi Estate (late 2004 facelift model)
    The ATF change probably makes or breaks these deals, and it seems almost random whether it comes up on the Electronic Service Sheet or not. If it's not called for then the dealer won't do it. If you do lowish mileage then you won't hit it until 4yrs, so it definitely wouldn't be done under a 3yr deal.

20. Dryce

Dryce MB Club Veteran

Car:
    For older cars on variable servicing the value will be very mileage dependent.

Tags: