Service Costs and Packages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

harvin1975

Car
E Class Estate W212; VW Golf
I'm due to take delivery on a new E-Class within 5 weeks.

I understand MB offer a £30/month service "deal".

Seems a bit steep to be paying £1040 for first 3 years service during warranty period.

BMW and VW appear much cheaper.

Do you know if service costs can be negotiated?

Thank.

Check if youre likely to need an atm change in the period and if a courtesy car is included, if you need one. It might be worthwhile.
And yes steep compared to VW in my experience.

3 years servicing at a main dealership will be a lot more, though. You pays your money....

Ernie

I guess if you can afford a new car, then you can afford the servicing costs. :)

Some costs are viable but not necessarily sensible :)

Check if youre likely to need an atm change in the period and if a courtesy car is included, if you need one. It might be worthwhile.
And yes steep compared to VW in my experience.

Thanks - just got off phone with dealership. They said an ATM change should be done in the lifetime of the car and said it would likely be around year 4 or 5. Hopefully my car is going to last longer than that :)

The 4 year option at £30 a month seems ok then. They said a good option would be to pay it up front so I can forget about service costs for 4 years but don't give any discount for doing so. Dealership said a lot of people do this - clearly lot more people out there with more money than sense!

Good point on courtesy car - will check. Ta.

Is this a lease vehicle or outright purchase? If you intend keeping it a while then I would pay for the first service myself. Its not usually that expensive. Then take out the contract and hence get the gearbox fluid change at 37000 included

I pay £29 pm for my E350 cdi Coupe for service package, it does include a courtesy car which is a must for myself .

3 years servicing at a main dealership will be a lot more, though. You pays your money....

Ernie

Yup - this is what I've found (based over 4 year period)

Service pack at £30 per month: £1440 over 4 years.
2 Major and 2 minor services @ dealership. Cost between £1300-2600.

Although service pack costs are set by MB I can shop around between franchised dealers. I've seen £100 difference between dealers for minor (a) service!
If I shop around within local area I could get service cheaper than their £30/month offer.

Is this a lease vehicle or outright purchase? If you intend keeping it a while then I would pay for the first service myself. Its not usually that expensive. Then take out the contract and hence get the gearbox fluid change at 37000 included

Outright purchase.
I intend to keep for around 10 years.
I did ask if I can pay the first minor service myself and then take up a 3 year pack afterwards.
this is possible, but as soon as you've had your first service or after 12 month the monthly cost goes up to £37. £30 is only offered before you have your 1st service/12 months

my servicing costs at a main dealer for years 2,3 and 4 were £1118. Service plan was £32 per month as a used car costs more than a new one, so would have totalled £1152, so not much in it. I didn't have a courtesy car though. The 4 year service is the more expensive as it cost as much as year 2 and 3 totalled. Taking out a 3 year plan after the 1st service if you plan to keep the car that long is a good option in my opinion.

I think the atm change is needed around 5 years or 75000 miles on the newer gearboxes.

Thanks - just got off phone with dealership.
g.png

Good luck Harvin :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom