Service History

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

debenham

Just bought my first Merc:- January 98 SLK 230 with 28000 miles in great condition. Up to now it's services have been carried out at MB dealers. I have been quoted £200 & £400 for the 2 types of services. I can carry out basic servicing (oil/filters/breaks /suspension) myself . At the age of the car would it reduce the car value by a significant amount if I decide to do my own work or have it done by an independant garage instead of carrying on with a full dealership service record.

I would suggest a decent indie to do your servicing will do little to damage resale value, and will save you quite a bit of cash as well.

Welcome by the way!!!

Most folks tend to blindly steer away from main dealers because they think they are going to get ripped off. Their decision their money.

I would first check to see of your local main dealer offers a discount for older vehicles, failing that I would decide whether I wanted to keep a main dealer history or go for a GOOD independant, cheap prices do not usually equate to a quality service, but neither does top dollar equate to top service. Ask around for recommendations and consider having the car serviced by a main dealer but all extra work carried out by an independant.

Just my thoughts

John

I personally would go for a good quality independant - I found one through this site, he is ex-MB and has all the gucci kit including STAR and will only use MB parts and Mobil 1 - but charges half the price! Its your decision but I would avoid main dealers. Best of luck and welcome to MB world!!

I get free MOTs, 40% off labour, and 10% off parts at my main dealer - which brings the cost of regular servicing down to indi level. So keeping the FMBSH is pretty easy.

However a good indi can be a better bet for non-routine stuff . I recently used an indi to diagnose and fix a gearbox fault, and they were first class.

Independent Service

Which MB indy is that then, my wifes 1999 A class needs a service.

I get free MOTs, 40% off labour, and 10% off parts at my main dealer - which brings the cost of regular servicing down to indi level. So keeping the FMBSH is pretty easy.

However a good indi can be a better bet for non-routine stuff . I recently used an indi to diagnose and fix a gearbox fault, and they were first class.

Some independents can do a better job with your car as they care more about their reputation than a tech in a franchise.

Last edited:
Do it yourself. Theres no reason not to if you can do the routine things. Its only for the big stuff (ball joints, head gasket, etc etc) you use a mechanic.

Any other things, well just ask on this site - most problems can be dealt with from advice gleaned here.

Just keep every single receipt no matter how small, and keep a log of every job you've done on it including the mileage and date. IMO thats far better than a stamp in a book.

Don't forget the effect on the Mobilo Life cover and warranty;)

Just keep every single receipt no matter how small, and keep a log of every job you've done on it including the mileage and date. IMO thats far better than a stamp in a book.
Keeping ALL receipts is excellent advice and it has been possible to buy dealer stamps on Ebay. :mad:

John

never mind buying them on ebay, there are plenty of companies that will make you any stamp you like if you send them a jpeg of one... easy peasy, anyone could do it...

Infact my own Mercland stamp could be mistaken for a dealer stamp...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom