Service in London (other than George Fraser!)

funmobile

New Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2003
Messages
17
Location
London
Car
E320 Cabriolet, Honda VFR 800 - both red!
Just bought an E320 Convertible.

Other than what appears to be the highly recommended George Fraser, has anyone any other recommendations on specialist service in west London - eg P&S on Western Avenue?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

E320 / 1996 / 38k
 

Koolvin

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Jun 1, 2002
Messages
9,945
Location
Staines
Car
W168, W169 & S202
Theres this guy in Richmond, i'll get his number for you...
 

Sp!ke

Administrator
Joined
Jun 2, 2002
Messages
11,968
Location
West London
Car
SL500 & The Fart Car
Which guy in Richmond Vinny?

I was at a place in W11 the other day that was run by a MB fanatic. He did service most German Marques but his Penchant was MB's...mainly old ones mind but he had a few SL's and even a late 50's coupe convertible. He certainly knew his stuff and his attention to detail was impressive.

One thing that I liked was his honesty. I asked the book price for service and he said that he didnt have such a thing. He went on to say that a minor service was an oil and filter change and a general once over and fluid check, for which most people charge £140. He said "How can I charge £140 for that? It would take me 40 minutes, but on the other hand if the once over showed up something nasty, £140 often wont cover the work." basically he wouldnt give a price before getting the car on the ramp and checking it out (for free) at that point he would normally phone the customer with an accurate price and ask if the customer was ok with the price.

I have the details at work if anyone wants to go check him out.

I am tempted to give him a whirl but the only offputting thing is no courtesy car and for me, its a bit of a bitch to get to.
 
Last edited:

GrahamC230K

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 14, 2002
Messages
9,755
Car
Audi A3 & S4 quattro
Originally posted by Sp!ke
Which guy in Richmond Vinny?

I was at a place in W11 the other day that was run by a MB fanatic. He did service most German Marques but his Penchant was MB's...mainly old ones mind but he had a few SL's and even a late 50's coupe convertible. He certainly knew his stuff and his atention to detail was impressive.

One thing that I liked was his honesty. I asked the book price for service and he said that he didnt have such a thing. He went on to say that a minor service was an oil and filter change and a general once over and fluid check, for which most people charge £140. He said "How can I charge £140 for that? It would take me 40 minutes, but on the other hand if the once over showed up something nasty, £140 often wont cover the work." basically he wouldnt give a price before getting the car on the ramp and checking it out (for free) at that point he would normally phone the customer with an accurate price and ask if the customer was ok with the price.

I have the details at work if anyone wants to go check him out.

I am tempted to give him whirl but the only offputting thing is no courtesy car and for me, its a bit of a bitch to get to.

Sounds like a top guy/place.

It's these finds that can make car ownership so much easier.

I know what you mean, but honest trust worthy service like this often comes from places without facilities like courtesy cars, but you have to weigh up the benefit.
 

Sp!ke

Administrator
Joined
Jun 2, 2002
Messages
11,968
Location
West London
Car
SL500 & The Fart Car
Found it!


http://www.carcare1.co.uk/frame.htm

I can tell you that the little alley that runs down to his workshop is rather tight. If your not happy with reversing 100 yards down an 8ft wide alley after the service then you might want to think again :) (I'm sure they'll offer to do it if you ask but it is bloody tight)
 

Alps

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Joined
Nov 29, 2002
Messages
7,275
Location
London\Essex
Car
E55 2004 Silver(SOLD), E63 Weistec AMG(SOLD), E55 2004 Silver(SOLD), C36 AMG 1997 (SOLD)
Ive got a guy in East london, hes very good, he actually works for MBNZ in the weekdays and is the cheif service technician, he has his own place at the weekends, and he has all the main dealer facilities that other local garages would not have, let me know if anyone wants his details.
 

scotth_uk

MB Enthusiast
Joined
May 16, 2003
Messages
2,570
Location
Sydney
Car
Renault
Please PM me the details - I am on the lookout for Eastend places to deal with.
 

aka$h

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jan 30, 2004
Messages
3,353
Location
London
Car
Anything with a 3 Pointed Star!
Theres a guy in S.London if anyone is around my area. The guy is a MB technician and has been for 25 years, his son has a garage spcialising in MB's, with full STAR diagnostics, a great setup, so clean you could eat your lunch off the floor. Ive seen cars from 124's to CL600's, he also imports new cars from germany. They do work evenings so you could pop in after work.
Let me know if anyone wants a number.
 

com

Active Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
83
Location
London
Car
Sports Coupe
Not quite West London but South West London : James Leigh - South Wimbledon area - 0208 542 3366 http://www.jamesleighmercedes.co.uk/

Just had the car serviced there was very pleased with their overall service and the price, plus its about 5 minutes from Wimbledon tube by bus which made it handy getting to and from as I did not bother with their courtesy car
 
Last edited:

Anil

Active Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
251
Location
Surrey
Car
C200 CDI
com said:
Not quite West London but South West London : James Leigh - South Wimbledon area - 0208 542 3366 http://www.jamesleighmercedes.co.uk/

Just had the car serviced there was very pleased with their overall service and the price, plus its about 5 minutes from Wimbledon tube by bus which made it handy getting to and from as I did not bother with their courtesy car

Is this the guy with the silver Vito? I seem to recall seeing a very clean Vito van in that area with a nice set of MB alloys on it. It drove past me and I could not get the details off the side of it, but the name rings a bell.
Its about 10 minutes away from me, and my wife told me "there is a spanner thingy on the display in the dash" :p on her A-Class.

How much was the service. Did he reset the service indicator?
 

Anil

Active Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
251
Location
Surrey
Car
C200 CDI
aka$h said:
Theres a guy in S.London if anyone is around my area. The guy is a MB technician and has been for 25 years, his son has a garage spcialising in MB's, with full STAR diagnostics, a great setup, so clean you could eat your lunch off the floor. Ive seen cars from 124's to CL600's, he also imports new cars from germany. They do work evenings so you could pop in after work.
Let me know if anyone wants a number.

Hi aka$h,

Where is this guy. Can you please post the telephone number.

Thanks.
 

com

Active Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
83
Location
London
Car
Sports Coupe
Anil, cant be sure as I did not see one around but then again he had a couple of his guys coming and going. The base service was £195 + vat + oils but they found rear brake pads needed doing along with the spark plugs so worked out to £329 all in. Yeap he did reset the service indicator as well
 

-V-

Member
Joined
May 14, 2004
Messages
47
Location
London Town
Car
190E
Sp!ke said:
Found it!


http://www.carcare1.co.uk/frame.htm

I can tell you that the little alley that runs down to his workshop is rather tight. If your not happy with reversing 100 yards down an 8ft wide alley after the service then you might want to think again :) (I'm sure they'll offer to do it if you ask but it is bloody tight)

Spike I spoke to Ray this morning at Car Care and have booked myself in for an inspection tomorrow morning to see what needs doing for the service.

Just wondering how much you paid and what exactly was done to the car?

Thanks!

:cool:
 

Sp!ke

Administrator
Joined
Jun 2, 2002
Messages
11,968
Location
West London
Car
SL500 & The Fart Car
-V- said:
Spike I spoke to Ray this morning at Car Care and have booked myself in for an inspection tomorrow morning to see what needs doing for the service.

Just wondering how much you paid and what exactly was done to the car?

Thanks!

:cool:

Nothing :)

I didnt use him as he didnt have a courtesy car and was a real pain to get to from where I am.

Others on here have subsequently used him and been happy I believe.
 

-V-

Member
Joined
May 14, 2004
Messages
47
Location
London Town
Car
190E
Thanks mate!

Am seeing him tomorrow, so will report on my findings!

Thanks again!

:cool:
 

chrisp

Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2005
Messages
40
Location
SE London
Car
W447 - V250 XLWB
Service in Wimbledon (SW19)

If your in the SW19 area try Steve Redfearn's
169 Gladstone Road
020 8540 2311.

Before the CLK has I had a CL420, he let me drop it at 10pm then called at 9am the next morning to say it was fixed. Cracked vacuum pipe feeding the locking seet mechanism. I'd spent hours and hours trying to fix it but got nowhere. These guys did it in under an hour.


Would use them anytime.

Chris
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom