Service indicator one day says over 9000 miles next 27 days?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A210AMG

MB Enthusiast
Hello

My wifes B class the other day said this C service 9300 miles, I took a pictures as I wanted to look up what a 'c' service is and the costs.

bclass.jpg

Then today about 2 weeks later than above picture my wife comes in and says the dash board has a message 'C' Service due in 27 days.

Is this correct, can it change like that? seems a licence for Mercedes to get some more money off us? The car has probably done around 4500 miles since its last service.

Do I have to take it in? or will it affect the full MB service if I don't? or just take it for an oil change and the code reset?

Anyone had a C service on a B class Cdi any idea on cost and what they do on the service. I will ring Chester Mercedes tomorrow to ask.

I'm just a little confused how one day its over 9000 miles and the next is 27 days??

thanks

Last edited:
I don't know about B Classes but I'm sure it will be 12 month or 15,500 miles, whichever is sooner, as per my E Class.

What was the last service date?

Hello

The last service was around August last year so time wise its a year I guess.

Seems checky though to me, surely just an oil change would be ok?

Hello

The last service was around August last year so time wise its a year I guess.

Seems checky though to me, surely just an oil change would be ok?

Within waranty you'll be expected to follow the service schedule.

Out of warranty, what you do is up to you, but there's the history/resale to consider.

^ mmmmmm

Catch 22 then... seems a money earner that it changed so quickly...

Will ring and ask for a price. :(

^ mmmmmm

Catch 22 then... seems a money earner that it changed so quickly...

Will ring and ask for a price. :(

It doesn't have to be a main dealer that services it, even under warranty, but for the warranty to be valid the schedule has to be maintained.

Hi,
used to have a service assist that gave an interval depending on time (up to 2 years) or mileage depending how driven up to 15,500 miles. So a low use car could get up to 2years.
When Merc reliability was an issue in 2004 they trained up lots of technicians to deal with the problems. Reliability was resolved in the factories and they had lots of dealers with service departments in the UK kicking their heels. The new service director decided that all of the UK would have a service interval of 12 months regardless and the Star programming set it as 12K miles or 12 months.
I constantly have an issue with the reset on my wife's low use SL as they always set it wrong which defeats the assist system and costs loads for high quality synthetic oil that has only had 4 or 5k miles of use if an annual service is unnecessarily performed.
With so a low usage why not reset the service indicator, instructions are in manual? You should get a further year, I assume that the rest of the car does not need attention?
Don

A-Service is an oil and filter change plus some checks, B-Service is an oil and filter change, cabin filter change, and then more checks than an A-Service.

But there are other items that need doing based on mileage and time, and are not included in the A/B services. Air filter, fuel filter, ATF (if auto), spark plugs (if petrol), brake fluid, and coolant (on older cars), all need to be changed at set mileage/time.

An MB dealer will tell you what else needs doing, so if not going to an MB dealer then make sure you know what needs to be done on top of the B service.

Hello

The car needs nothing it's only done 4500 miles since it's last service (almost one year ago)

I'm miffed that say it costs £250 I will drop it off and collect it later pay the money yet notice NO difference, and why it changed from 9k miles to 27 days over night...

I will ring my local garage tomorrow and have the service priced.

It's more the service history / resale I'm concerned at as if I leave it and reset the light will this just knock money off at sale time.

Hello

So I just rang Mercedes Chester for a Service price on the wifes B class..my thought of £250 was way off..

Service = £279
Brake Fluid £44
Dust filter £44
Air and Fuel Filter 89
Auto Fluid change £155

Total £609

Now the car has only done 4500 since its last service and as I mentioned the other day it said over 9000 miles until the next service now it says 26 days..

Seems a bit steep ? I'm tempted to get the oil changed and the light reset (at an indy) and carry on? I'm only a little concerned about the effect on resale not having the 'proper' c service?

Also makes me smile the service is £279 but the brake fluid, air filter, fuel filter and dust filter are ALL extras.... so whats the £279? a nice cup of coffee from the machine as I wait...

:)

The ASSYST system has changed since 2007. See 'Service ASSYST Fixed Intervals, 2007-Onwards' on http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/con...e/ownership/Service_and_maintenance.0013.html

The car will ask for a service every 15.5k or 12 months whichever comes first. The service indicator will show the mileage left till service and then switch to days left till service 30 days before the service due date.

There are only two service types A (simple oil change) and B. The letter on the dash just indicates the amount of time required for the service. The service type alternate between A and B each year.

There are also certain extra items which MB say should be changed every certain number of miles or years, whichever comes first. If you dont get them done at the time of service they refuse to stamp the book.

Check your service book and look at the schedule, it clearly lists when these items need to be done, and check the previous stamps to see what has been changed in previous services as you may not need to have some of the additional items done.

You can save quite a bit supplying your own oil and also ring around as I saved quite a bit on my last service using a dealer further away than my local one.

Last edited:
^ Thanks

I'm simply not paying £609 for a service when one day I have 9000 miles the next 27 days and the cars done 4500miles since its last service. From what you say if my car was 2006 then I would have the full 15.5K until the next service?

An oil change I would think it wise.

The lady did say she would do a special price if I needed all the items. It would have to be very special to make me say yes.

Hello

So I just rang Mercedes Chester for a Service price on the wifes B class..my thought of £250 was way off..

Service = £279
Brake Fluid £44
Dust filter £44
Air and Fuel Filter 89
Auto Fluid change £155

Total £609

Now the car has only done 4500 since its last service and as I mentioned the other day it said over 9000 miles until the next service now it says 26 days..

Seems a bit steep ? I'm tempted to get the oil changed and the light reset (at an indy) and carry on? I'm only a little concerned about the effect on resale not having the 'proper' c service?

Also makes me smile the service is £279 but the brake fluid, air filter, fuel filter and dust filter are ALL extras.... so whats the £279? a nice cup of coffee from the machine as I wait...

:)

I'm bemused by the tone of your posts - you've got near as dammit 6000 posts on here yet you're squealing like a newbie! :D

I'm guessing the car must be 4yrs old so this is "the big one" in terms of servicing - surely you must have expected that?

The only snag with not getting it done is it will probably affect the Mobilo cover - if you don't rely on that then it doesn't really matter.

One thing you could do is buy the ServiceCare package for a couple of years - but make sure they'll do the ATF.

From what you say if my car was 2006 then I would have the full 15.5K until the next service?

Yes if we had 2006 cars it would ask for a service every two years.

My cars 3 yrs old and out of warranty in a few weeks, service A due soon. Will be sticking to indies from now on for servicing. It had a full B service last year with brake fluid change etc and it has done less miles than yours has in the last year. I supplied fully synthetic Mobil1 for the last service which will be fine for another year so will top up if required and service next year. Or I can just have an oil change done this year elsewhere, rather than the local dealer who want £255 for it!

Dont know what year / month your car is registered but for mine as it is registered after 1 April 2008 Mobilo is valid for 4 years from date of registration and can be renewed from year 5 onwards by servicing it with a main dealer.

If yours is registered before 1 April 2008 then you have the older Mobilo Life cover. See: Mercedes-Benz UK - MobiloLife - Registered 01.01.04-31.03.08

Last edited:
"You pays your money and take your choice". If you don't get the Merc service done then your book won't have a stamp. Any value this may have had is lost even if an Indie changes the oil that does not need changing.
So pretend that it was on the old service schedule and reset the warning yourself! NO COST
Don

Have all that done at a good indie, bet it will be less than £400.

All the extras are age related items but yes the whole thing is a bit of a con... a Major service at a dealer doesnt even include an air filter! everything is extra.

With a B service we change the filters in the price... i.e. Air, Oil, Fuel, Pollen.

Have to say

When they said the service is £279 then...............

The air filter is.... the oil filter is.....the fuel filter is......

it did make me smile what they charge £279 for :)

Indy here I come :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom