Service interval query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Harrythedog

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
GLC 250 Sport Premium+
The car had a D service in Feb this year as per the inst cluster, now after about 3k miles it's showing a C service due in 15 days, how's that work?

Massive apology to all who've read this post. The car had the B service in Nov 2011 so the indicator is about right although it's done only 3.5 k since then :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Just out of interest - does anyone know if time is taken into consideration by the car's calculation at all?

This used to be the case with BMWs so I imagine it is the case with more modern MBs (I'm talking W211 for example).

That's what I was thinking as its exactly a year and 15 days since its last service. The car has always been a low miler but this is the shortest time it's required a service

Hmm, it seems it might be just time it goes on then.

I looked in my service book, and it was serviced 16/11/10, 04/11/11 and 05/11/12 respectively, despite a 6000 mile gap between the first two and 10000 mile gap between the second two.

:rolleyes:

Just out of interest - does anyone know if time is taken into consideration by the car's calculation at all?

MB's system as I understand is just a coundown (days). Certainly is on mine - Nov 2011 C220.

This used to be the case with BMWs so I imagine it is the case with more modern MBs (I'm talking W211 for example).

It still is the case with BMW's. We sold one earlier this year and that needed servicing approx 18 months / 17000 miles. I asked how it was calculated as the interval advised on the OBC would alter and BMW told me their system measures the viscocity of the oil. Longer journeys would lengthen the service interval and shorter journeys would make the service sooner.

Mine ( CL600) says service A in 5700 miles. Could very well change to days when closer to service.

It calculates using both mileage and time.

Low mileage users will only ever see the countdown in days whereas high mileage users will only see the countdown in miles.

It calculates using both mileage and time.

Low mileage users will only ever see the countdown in days whereas high mileage users will only see the countdown in miles.

I'd assumed lower mileage (under 15k) with my response as JohnEboy mentioned 6k / 6k / 10k intervals.

Thats ^^ the 15k miles or 1 year Mercedes rule isn't it? ... So if you do above 15k miles a year the obc will flag based on miles which could mean services in less than 12 months. Below 15k miles per annum and its just a date countdown.

Mine waas telling me when mine was due in miles before it was done. It wasn't far out.

Up to (around) 2007 MB used flexible service schedule, so a low-mileage car could see the service indicator come-up in around 15-18 months (not fixed). The system checks how many starts, journey length, engine temperature etc etc to guesstimate the condition of the engine oil.

Some diesel engines have an oil quality sensor which measures the amount of water in the oil by checking the electrical resistance of an oil sample - but as far as I understand this is not used for the service scheduling system, so in fact the oil condition is not tested directly, but rather estimated based on the car's usage history.

However, in (around) 2007 MB changed this to fixed service schedule, i.e. every 12 months. This was merely an administrative change to aid fleet buyers and leasing companies in working-out the service schedule and service cost in advance.

Either way, this only applies to low-mileage car - obviously if the car exceeds the specified mileage between service intervals, the service indicator will come up sooner.

Said that, for cars with oil quantity sensor (i.e. electronic/dipstick-less oil level checking), the service scheduling system will know whenever oil has been added and will take it into account as the new oil 'refreshes' the old oil - so if the car consumes oil, or has a leak, and you have to regularly add engine oil, you may find that the mileage between servicing is miraculously increased...

How much notice does the system give you in mileage ? - is it fairly generous...i.e 500 to 1k milage or is it a bit urgent...ie, 100 miles!

It's not that urgent!

The car won't go bang just because you've ran over a few hundred (or thousand for that matter)

Just book it in at your convenience when directed to.

i777 said:
How much notice does the system give you in mileage ? - is it fairly generous...i.e 500 to 1k milage or is it a bit urgent...ie, 100 miles!

Approx 600 or one month.

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom