Service Interval

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brian WH

MB Enthusiast
Car
JAGUAR XF 3.0D Premium Luxury
My car said 13300 next service when I purchased it in January.

Kept around that figure till June when I went on Holiday.

After doing 2300 in France the next service now says 13930.

I gained 630 miles by using it on very long runs.:bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

Anyone else noticed this? What is your "next service", and has it altered since you had the car?

My last car E 280 was pretty consistant at 12000 miles.

I have only checked mine a few times and have never noticed it go up.

However I'm sure it only read about 10,000 miles after it was reset from the last service, but I have now done 10K miles and it says I have exactly 2000 to go.

I believe it does vary depending on ??? but on mine I think it just drops irregularly as opposed to actually correcting and adding miles until the next service. Same thing, but a little cruder.

On a similar topic, I am having mine serviced next week. I think for the use my car gets 10K between oil changes is plenty plus it is convenient so Servicing 2K miles early doesn't concern me, especially as I noticed a small potential oil leak on my rear diff yesterday whilst up on Jimmy's ramps. It may be normal, but I want it checked.

Mine said 16900 left the day I picked it up, I've now done 12800 miles and it says 3800 left which is the same, and I haven't seen it vary.

Mine has now been just over 20K since the last service. Loads of motorway driving, no short journeys to speak of. The only thing I've done in the interim is put a litre of oil in, which bumped up the interval by about 3K.

Well pleased.

There are two types of ASSYST display. early versions started at 10k and counted down in varying amounts until zero or minus was reached.
Later cars...ERR..'99/2000 on depending on engine first count up from 10k then back down liniarly.
CDi engines can achieve about 22k before the count reaches zero.

That seems a hell of a lot of miles between services for a diesel engine - I always thought that diesels were harder on the oil and needed changes more frequently. My colleagues older vauxhall diesel required changes every 4500 miles.

Doea anyone know whats different with the newer CDi engines that allows longer service intervals?

Cheers, Robbo

Last edited:
Mainly the diesel itself.
Diesel used to have a sulpher of 500ppm which has been gradually reduced and now stands at 50ppm. City diesel is...oh ERR...10 ppm if I remember correctly.

The sulpher was pollutling the oil.

Oil quality has also improved along with engine build quality and fuel control and atomisation. The more fuel gets burnt and turned into motive power the less there is to pollute the oil.

Fuel control and quality are the reasons why you should't see smokey diesels any more. Even old diesels don't smoke like they used to.

Originally posted by Dieselman

Fuel control and quality are the reasons why you should't see smokey diesels any more. Even old diesels don't smoke like they used to.

Not convinced!

Originally posted by GrahamC230K
Not convinced!

The main reason for smokey diesels is bad Injectors, or badly adjusted fuel management, both of which are due to bad maintenance.:crazy:

Not chipping then? :p

Hmm, must be poor maintenance on those W211's I see smoking, but they can't even be due for a 1st service they are so new.........:eek:

I have done 12000 miles to date, and the first service is due in over 8000 miles. I am very pleasantly surprised. My E240 would have been in the dealership by now.

Marc

20,000 between services does sound good. Does the Assyst kick in early if enough time passes?

Say you go for over a year without clocking up 20K miles?

20K miles does sound good I must admit, although there is something in me that says services should be done more frequently than this (especially after reading some of the nightmare stories about engines coking up due to extended service intervals on the USA MB forums).

I am going to take mine in for service every 10K miles or 1 year whatever the assyst says.

Robbo

Last edited:
Originally posted by Robbo
20K miles does sound good I must admit, although there is something in me that says services should be done more frequently than this (especially after reading some of the nightmare stories about extended service intervals on the USA MB forums).

I am going to take mine in for service every 10K miles or 1 year whatever the assyst says.

Robbo

Long service intervals do mean faults will take longer to get picked up and more inter service brake/tyre changes etc.

20,000 between services does sound good. Does the Assyst kick in early if enough time passes?

Say you go for over a year without clocking up 20K miles?

Graham, I had a 250td sport and got 20k intervals at over a year so I'd suggest (i am not 100% sure) that time is not a factor although i'd agree in part with what Robbo says.

We can ask George his opinion at the GTG!

Not chipping then? :p

Hmm, must be poor maintenance on those W211's I see smoking, but they can't even be due for a 1st service they are so new.........:eek:

:D

Long service intervals do mean faults will take longer to get picked up and more inter service brake/tyre changes etc.
True, but if that was thought to be unsafe then MB would resort back to regimented 12K service intervals, surely?

Brakes and tyres go when they are ready. I can honestly say in 15 years of driving (thinks: Jesus.... :( ) I don't think I've ever had a car in for a service when they've replaced tyres as well.

Add in to that the fact that synthetic oils take considerably longer to break down than mineral oils then you can see why increased service intervals are alright.

Maybe I am lazy and silly with my limited funds, but when my car is in for service - if they say pads need replacing in 3K miles - I say replace now - saves me time and the car on the road more.

But with longer intervals for regular servicing, I suppose I wouldn't mind the odd intermediate pit stop for the consumables (rubber and brakes).

Maybe I am lazy and silly with my limited funds, but when my car is in for service - if they say pads need replacing in 3K miles - I say replace now - saves me time and the car on the road more.

But with longer intervals for regular servicing, I suppose I wouldn't mind the odd intermediate pit stop for the consumables (rubber and brakes).

I'm surprised that you don't need brake pads and tyres every month.:D

On a similar topic, I am having mine serviced next week. I think for the use my car gets 10K between oil changes is plenty plus it is convenient so Servicing 2K miles early doesn't concern me, especially as I noticed a small potential oil leak on my rear diff yesterday whilst up on Jimmy's ramps. It may be normal, but I want it checked.

Car serviced (at my independant garage).

All a OK, just oil filters and a set of plugs required.

Diff had full level of oil despite slight relaease. Will be monitered by no action required. £.30 ish seal and about 3.5 hours labour if it ever did get worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom