Service intervals - totally confused?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nictry

Car
ML63
Hope someone can help me out.

I have a 9/2008 E220 cdi and when I bought it in Sep 2009 it had 17k miles and had its first service in Aug 2009 ~16500 miles. I now have a service indicator telling me a 'c' service is due in 9 days (I have hardly driven it in the last month so probably didnt notice it counting down from 30 days)

Now the concern I have is I have only put 4k miles on since I bought it ~21.5k miles on the clock now. The fact it is saying it needs a service which is exactly 12 months from the prev one seems odd as I thought the variable servicing detected when it was needed and the last time I pushed the button to find out it said anothr 11000 miles till its next service, also why on earth does it need a 'c' service which I suspect will cost a fortune?

Can anyone tell me whats going on?

I think you'll find that these newer models are 15k miles or 12 months whichever comes first - the older models were 15k miles or 2 years, but I guess MB realised they were missing out on service work so changed the rules in ASSYST, the on-board computer.

I think you'll find that these newer models are 15k miles or 12 months whichever comes first - the older models were 15k miles or 2 years, but I guess MB realised they were missing out on service work so changed the rules in ASSYST, the on-board computer.

I did wonder!!!

Just had a quote of £415.85 for basically an oil and filter change (oh and they also change my battery in the key fobs too!!) Daylight robbery but little I can do as have 3 years of extended warranty to protect :(

Something doesn't sound right here - I would have thought that the first service at 16K would be an A service so you're now looking at a B - which is a lot more than oil and filters (there's a website where you can get the electronic service sheet that tells you what's involved for your vehicle. The link is Mercedes-Benz ESS) but your display says C. I also wonder if, with current legislation, you have to use MB to maintain the warranty - my understanding is that, providing your garage can demonstrate that genuine MB parts were used, they have to honour the warranty - but there are others on here and t'other side more knowledgable who will hopefully comment. You might also try a search for indie service warranty.

Something doesn't sound right here - I would have thought that the first service at 16K would be an A service so you're now looking at a B - which is a lot more than oil and filters

No it's not. It's an oil and filter change and some checks (same as A service), plus the pollen filter and key batteries are changed (supposedly - how come they don't ask for the spare key?).

B service used to be referred to as a "wheels off" service but they don't do that anymore.

Alsthough the "list" price for a B service is around £450, outside London most dealers will do it for around £300. Look on the dealer website - they often have a menu of pricing.

Bear in mind that at 2 years it also "needs" the brake fluid changing. The dealer will try to get maybe £75 for that.

No it's not. It's an oil and filter change and some checks (same as A service), plus the pollen filter and key batteries are changed (supposedly - how come they don't ask for the spare key?).

B service used to be referred to as a "wheels off" service but they don't do that anymore.

Alsthough the "list" price for a B service is around £450, outside London most dealers will do it for around £300. Look on the dealer website - they often have a menu of pricing.

Bear in mind that at 2 years it also "needs" the brake fluid changing. The dealer will try to get maybe £75 for that.

So whatever way you look at it the net result is it still translates to daylight robbery.

So whatever way you look at it the net result is it still translates to daylight robbery.

They have to pay for those big shiny showrooms, which surveys apparently tell MB we all want, somehow.

They have to pay for those big shiny showrooms, which surveys apparently tell MB we all want, somehow.

But in the case of the big shiny showroom in Canterbury they had to move out because they souldnt afford it and after a year empty they have just sold it to the local Renault dealer :dk:

If you are not happy with the price take your car to an independent garage. Your warranty will NOT be effected.

Thanks for confirming what I thought PCS - if the OP is near Canterbury and does not fancy a trip to Horndean, then Class Cars at Wingham are his next best bet - but probably still not quite as good as a trip to your establishment from what I've read on here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom