Service nowhere near due, but air filters utterly filthy

Discussion in 'Engine' started by MancMike, Aug 22, 2014.

1. MancMike

MancMike New Member

Hi, Gents.

Being curious about what my engine looks like under the covers, I removed the covers, and my god it's the most complicated engine I've ever seen!!! :eek:

Anyway, I inspected the air filters, my service as per ASSYST PLUS isn't for another 150 days, but the air filters were really filthy IMO.

Do these look as dirty to you as I think they are? I replaced them anyway, and I'm probably imagining a bit more pull at high revs, but either way it can't have done any harm...

What do you think? I know the car manufacturers have to be conservative with their service schedules, as busy businessmen won't buy a car that says it needs servicing all the time, but on all previous cars I've had, I've changed the oil at least every 6 months, it seems a long time between engine oil changes...

Do any of you do intermittent services in between proper service book services? Or am I being "too caring"?

High res versions, because these it'd let me attach are miniscule.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  2. johns E350

johns E350 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E class 350 coupe
    That engine needs to be able to breathe think you did the right thing by changing those air filters

3. OP
    OP
    MancMike

MancMike New Member

Thanks, so those do look particularly dirty then... I was expecting to be told "those are barely worn in, relax"...

It's only had one owner, he was a business man, he just did motorway miles and serviced it when the light told him to, it has all the stamps, but this looked particularly dirty to me.

The amount of sharp sand, glass fragments and big grit in there really reminds you how critical air filters are...

4. Auto-mobile

Auto-mobile Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2x c43 Amg clio 172 turbo 314bhp
    I see this a lot, here is a cls320cdi I serviced yesterday, apparently full service history?

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    MancMike

MancMike New Member

Is there a possibility that a "service" doesn't replace the air filter?

Because I've replaced white air filters out of paranoia... I went and replaced these today out of shock at how manky they were.

My car has a full service history. Warranty years at Merc, and the rest at the same "Malvern Garage".

6. Major774

Major774 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W211 E55 AMG
    If there were no leaves and debris then I would have waited for the schedule change, however, with that amount of rubbish then changing the filter is a good idea.

7. rascalmaster

rascalmaster Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Brabus D5 (E280 CDI) Avantgarde, E280 CDI Sport Estate, E320 Avantgarde now sold
    on both my 211 and 210; i find the filters are always ready for a change before the service schedule requires them to be done...
    i change them every 6 months if I'm doing a lot of mileage otherwise every 12.

8. mct_cars

mct_cars Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes R107 500 SL
    I don't think the air filters are changed at every service hence why it could be really dirty. Especially if like the previous owner you live in a particularly leafy area!

When I bought my Focus I bought a bunch of filters as wasn't convinced by the history (last service meant to have been 3k miles and 3 months ago), turns out all of the filters were brand new. Pays to check and while I changed some of the filters anyway, I now have spare filters for next time. Not like they cost a fortune or go off!

9. chrisdean

chrisdean Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W205 C200 AMG Line Premium
    It would surely be more cost effective fitting long life K&N filters that you can clean yourself without replacing.

10. Simon_M

Simon_M Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mini & Porsche
    I remember even on the AMGs they are only changed every other service so go roughly 20000miles.

11. Auto-mobile

Auto-mobile Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2x c43 Amg clio 172 turbo 314bhp
    54k or 4 years was always the advised interval, I always recommend every other service for customers doing average miles pa.

Even fuel filters on diesels have been know to cause problems as early as 30k

12. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    A dealer/garage that charges owners for work they don't actually do---- Shurley shome mishtake.

13. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    At least the sand and glass fragments wouldn't build up in the air-box. :rolleyes:

14. Dave Richardson

Dave Richardson Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C Class 220 Evo CDI and a W176 A class 180 cdi
    I reckon that you've made the right move, engines need to breathe properly for the few pounds that you've spent the improvement on MPG should be your reward

15. Mrhanky

Mrhanky Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Jag XF Weasel Powered
    Forget the filters what does the oil look like!

16. jaymanek

jaymanek Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    Lots of Mercedes!
    Remember a B service at the dealers does not include the Air Filters!! The replacement interval depending on the car can be 4 years which is totally ludicrous...

You should see some of the air filters we remove from cars that have JUST had a dealer service...

They are quick to make a song and dance about some superficial rubber cracking on suspension arms but dont notice that the air filter is totally clogged...

3 people like this.
  17. OP
    OP
    MancMike

MancMike New Member

Oil isn't too bad. It's not honey coloured, but isn't chocolate either. I'm going to replace the oil shortly anyway as it's a habit of mine :)

18. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    Just a quick recap regarding scheduled service items check list...

Engine oil and filter (included in A and B service)

Air filter, fuel filter, and pollen/cabin filter(s)

ATF change (once at 37.5k miles - if automatic)

Brake fluid change (2 years)

Coolant change (15 years on newer cars)

Spark plugs change (4 years - if Petrol)

19. dhk284

dhk284 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes C200 1999
    My car only had the first five service stamps so when I got her home I changed filters and flushed the enegine out then changed the engine oil, diff oil, stearing fluid, brake fluid, fuel filter and ATF fluid I changed my filters and engine oil every year just before the MOT. You were right to change that filter good call.

20. oldmedic999

oldmedic999 Active Member

Car:
    CLS 350CDI
    Remember to reset settings in Star. I replace mine every year. Cant believe the filters are so small for a big oil burner! I also replace Fuel filter every year as well as the orange turbo seal. All servicing done by my self.
    The only oil change I don't do is the 7g gearbox.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014