Service nowhere near due, but air filters utterly filthy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MancMike

Hi, Gents.

Being curious about what my engine looks like under the covers, I removed the covers, and my god it's the most complicated engine I've ever seen!!! :eek:

Anyway, I inspected the air filters, my service as per ASSYST PLUS isn't for another 150 days, but the air filters were really filthy IMO.

Do these look as dirty to you as I think they are? I replaced them anyway, and I'm probably imagining a bit more pull at high revs, but either way it can't have done any harm...

What do you think? I know the car manufacturers have to be conservative with their service schedules, as busy businessmen won't buy a car that says it needs servicing all the time, but on all previous cars I've had, I've changed the oil at least every 6 months, it seems a long time between engine oil changes...

Do any of you do intermittent services in between proper service book services? Or am I being "too caring"?

High res versions, because these it'd let me attach are miniscule.
photo1big.jpg

photo2big.jpg

photo3big.jpg

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 22
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 20
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
That engine needs to be able to breathe think you did the right thing by changing those air filters

Thanks, so those do look particularly dirty then... I was expecting to be told "those are barely worn in, relax"...

It's only had one owner, he was a business man, he just did motorway miles and serviced it when the light told him to, it has all the stamps, but this looked particularly dirty to me.

The amount of sharp sand, glass fragments and big grit in there really reminds you how critical air filters are...

Is there a possibility that a "service" doesn't replace the air filter?

Because I've replaced white air filters out of paranoia... I went and replaced these today out of shock at how manky they were.

My car has a full service history. Warranty years at Merc, and the rest at the same "Malvern Garage".

If there were no leaves and debris then I would have waited for the schedule change, however, with that amount of rubbish then changing the filter is a good idea.

on both my 211 and 210; i find the filters are always ready for a change before the service schedule requires them to be done...
i change them every 6 months if I'm doing a lot of mileage otherwise every 12.

I don't think the air filters are changed at every service hence why it could be really dirty. Especially if like the previous owner you live in a particularly leafy area!

When I bought my Focus I bought a bunch of filters as wasn't convinced by the history (last service meant to have been 3k miles and 3 months ago), turns out all of the filters were brand new. Pays to check and while I changed some of the filters anyway, I now have spare filters for next time. Not like they cost a fortune or go off!

It would surely be more cost effective fitting long life K&N filters that you can clean yourself without replacing.

I remember even on the AMGs they are only changed every other service so go roughly 20000miles.

54k or 4 years was always the advised interval, I always recommend every other service for customers doing average miles pa.

Even fuel filters on diesels have been know to cause problems as early as 30k

A dealer/garage that charges owners for work they don't actually do---- Shurley shome mishtake.

I reckon that you've made the right move, engines need to breathe properly for the few pounds that you've spent the improvement on MPG should be your reward

Forget the filters what does the oil look like!

Remember a B service at the dealers does not include the Air Filters!! The replacement interval depending on the car can be 4 years which is totally ludicrous...

You should see some of the air filters we remove from cars that have JUST had a dealer service...

They are quick to make a song and dance about some superficial rubber cracking on suspension arms but dont notice that the air filter is totally clogged...

Oil isn't too bad. It's not honey coloured, but isn't chocolate either. I'm going to replace the oil shortly anyway as it's a habit of mine :)

Just a quick recap regarding scheduled service items check list...

Engine oil and filter (included in A and B service)

Air filter, fuel filter, and pollen/cabin filter(s)

ATF change (once at 37.5k miles - if automatic)

Brake fluid change (2 years)

Coolant change (15 years on newer cars)

Spark plugs change (4 years - if Petrol)

My car only had the first five service stamps so when I got her home I changed filters and flushed the enegine out then changed the engine oil, diff oil, stearing fluid, brake fluid, fuel filter and ATF fluid I changed my filters and engine oil every year just before the MOT. You were right to change that filter good call.

Remember to reset settings in Star. I replace mine every year. Cant believe the filters are so small for a big oil burner! I also replace Fuel filter every year as well as the orange turbo seal. All servicing done by my self.
The only oil change I don't do is the 7g gearbox.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom