Service plan for approved used 4 year old W213 - ATF incl?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk208

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS
Hi folks,

After a long saga I may be purchasing an approved used E220D tomorrow, it has been transported from a far away dealer to my local branch. More on this story if it goes ahead.

Assuming the car checks out, I'm thinking a service plan might make sense as I think the 5 year service is the 9G ATF change which is £££. The next service is an A presumably so unless there is anything else due it's essentially just an oil change plus ATF.

It's £42 a month, minimum term 2 years =£1008 so works out at £504 per service so not exactly bargain of the century.

Anyone say for certain whether the age/mileage related things like ATF change are included? The documentation on the website is extremely lacking.

Thanks for any input.

All age and mileage related items are included, IF they show as due on ESS (MB's scheduled maintenance system).

Issues can arise however, if, for example, your transmission is showing on ESS as 'sealed for life', etc.

See also:

I emailed MB uk a few months back with this same question, with regards to my E350d, they replied back to say the schedule is to change oil at 77500 miles, and its not age related this could also relate to the E220d, but I would email MB uk to get confirmation for your vehicle.

All age and mileage related items are included, IF they show as due on ESS (MB's scheduled maintenance system).

Issues can arise however, if, for example, your transmission is showing on ESS as 'sealed for life', etc.

See also:

Thanks guys. Hadn't seen that FAQ before and had forgotten about the ESS.

I emailed MB uk a few months back with this same question, with regards to my E350d, they replied back to say the schedule is to change oil at 77500 miles, and its not age related this could also relate to the E220d, but I would email MB uk to get confirmation for your vehicle.

I've just put some dummy info into the ESS that seems to indicate ATF is 77,500 miles and is not time dependent. So that's my 5 year theory out of the window.

This has been useful - I can't see anything coming up on the ESS in my usage over the next 2 years that's going to trigger anything that will make it cost effective to do a 2 year service plan (which is the length of time I plan to keep the car).

Last year they were offering 20% discounts on service plans, if paid in advance, to some, me included, seemed good value, not sure if those offers will come again, look out for them if they do.

I had my E350 serviced under my service plan at around 75000 miles and had expected the ATF to be changed but was told that the gearbox was sealed for life. I queried this with another MB dealer who told me they thought it should be changed, so I raised a query with MB customer service. They eventually came back and said that they thought it was a mistake with the ESS and that the ATF should have been changed as part of the service plan.
No quibble with my MB service garage, who were quite rightly going by what the ESS said, but just goes to show that these things are not "tablets of stone". From my point of view it was well worth the effort of a few emails and phone calls, as I would have been over £300 if had opted to have the ATF changed at my expense.

I had my E350 serviced under my service plan at around 75000 miles and had expected the ATF to be changed but was told that the gearbox was sealed for life. I queried this with another MB dealer who told me they thought it should be changed, so I raised a query with MB customer service. They eventually came back and said that they thought it was a mistake with the ESS and that the ATF should have been changed as part of the service plan.
No quibble with my MB service garage, who were quite rightly going by what the ESS said, but just goes to show that these things are not "tablets of stone". From my point of view it was well worth the effort of a few emails and phone calls, as I would have been over £300 if had opted to have the ATF changed at my expense.
Interesting, currently the ESS shows ATF change at 77500, but as you say, these things are not cast in stone. I had decided that I will get it changed at the 5year point by my Indy, my yearly average miles is around 6k, currently done 21k, so can’t be certain I will still have this car when it reaches 77500 miles.

If the ATF is due to be changed at five years it will be included in service plan.
Year four and five is the best value for the plan as at year four all filters fuel/air/cabin are changed plus brake fluid and obviously oil and filter are changed on the diesel engines. At year five ATF and oil and filter is changed. I did exactly the same and it worked out cheaper than getting those two services done at mercedes independent.

ATF change on the 7g+ is 77,500 miles or 5 years. The 9g is just 77,500 miles, no time limit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom