service plans - worth the money?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hedgehogsdad

Car
Mercedes C63 AMG
Hi all,

I've just been quoted £46 a month for a service plan for my 2016 C63. I've had a look on the Mercedes site and it suggests that this covers everything - parts and labour, but somewhere else I read that it was only service parts. What do people on here think about the value of service plans?

I have an A service due within the next month.

Cheers

If you are minded to use the Main Dealer network for servicing, then the Service Plan works out to be cheaper than PAYG especially if you can time it to do a three year B, A, B service schedule. Even now I would say it would be cost effective on an A, B, A regime for your car as next year's B-service will include spark plugs and probably ATF change too.

The Service Care plan covers all sheduled parts and labour costs, in other words the basic service plus all time or mileage dependent extras which are the ones that tend to bump up the cost. What it doesn't cover is wear parts such as brake pads, discs, etc.

I bought it earlier this year from a main dealer and got a 2 year warranty as part of the deal. I assumed on that basis that it needs to be serviced in the main dealer network?

Does £46 p.m. seem about right?

under a service plan, you effectively pay the same price for the service, regardless of whether it is a A or B and whether additional items, such as brake fluid change, new filters, new spark plugs, change of ATF, are required. These "extras" are not included in the headline quotes MB provides.

For comparison, my last service cost me £420 under a service plan but would have cost £935 under PAYG (pay as you go)

Does £46 p.m. seem about right?

Yes - MB UK set the price, meaning you pay the same regardless of which dealer you use. You are free to change dealers and use a different one for each service.

My last service cost £720 as per the service care plan when othewise would have been £1753.

under a service plan, you effectively pay the same price for the service, regardless of whether it is a A or B and whether additional items, such as brake fluid change, new filters, new spark plugs, change of ATF, are required. These "extras" are not included in the headline quotes MB provides.

For comparison, my last service cost me £420 under a service plan but would have cost £935 under PAYG (pay as you go)
When you say it cost £420 under the service plan, do you mean that's how much you had paid monthly up to that point?

When you say it cost £420 under the service plan, do you mean that's how much you had paid monthly up to that point?

correct - I paid a total of £1260 for 3 services (over 24 months), so an average of £420 each.
Curiously, had I not had the 3rd service, MB offered me a refund of £620, meaning the 2 services I did have would have cost £320 each...

£46 for mine too, although it really depends on the dealer you take it to. Personally, after three good years at Northampton Mercedes with my C200, they absolutely cocked up with my C63 so I will be avoiding them like the clap from now on

Hi, from my understanding although I’m not 100% sure I don’t believe the above to be correct. Each service has a variable cost and each service includes any parts required for the appropriate service. You’ve paid monthly so as such the cost averages out but the actual cost is variable for each service depending on what service and parts are required.

How do you know this?

If you go on their service portal you can see the price of a service due plus price of the additional items, which make the total staggering. With a service plan, you’re saving a lot of money if additional items are due

Hi, from my understanding although I’m not 100% sure I don’t believe the above to be correct. Each service has a variable cost and each service includes any parts required for the appropriate service. You’ve paid monthly so as such the cost averages out but the actual cost is variable for each service depending on what service and parts are required.
The annual service costs are indeed variable, but the amount paid via the MB Service Care Plan is always fixed.

So if you manage to 'catch' two or three of the more expensive services, then you will save a considerable amount.

However, if you don't time it correctly and only get basic 'cheap' services under the plan, then you will pay more via the Service Care Plan.

The expensive services are usually year 4 (Service B, Brake fluid, Air filter, Fuel filter or spark plugs) and year 5 (Service A, ATF).

So if you manage to get these two expensive services carried-out under the fixed cost Service Care Plan, then you've done well :thumb:

Just took out a service plan but am still a bit confused. Can someone clarify how the plan actually works, as from what I think I know alot of the above comments could be inaccurate or misleading.

This is what I think I know. July 2018 c63 so coming up for first annual service. Booked it in and persuaded/ sold service plan. Went for it a bit confused but I did know if I didn’t spend it I would get the money back if changed mind so thought worth the punt.

What I was told. £62 per month over 36 months for 4 services. S1 £420, s2 £560 ish, s3 £1200, 4th service not stated but said would be same as 1 or 2. Total cost £2332 36 x 62. Cost of service if paid normally circa 2.6-2.7k so therefore a bit of a saving on face value.

It was then explained that the £62 was basically being saved up and the service cost deducted from my balance, and I could either be in credit or owe money depending on when I finished the plan if I chose to exit early. Also stated that my first £420 service was booked at circa £300 so this is the amount that came of my balance of savings therefore where the saving is released. Does any of this make sense?

Also I was told as my car was 11 months I got a slightly cheaper rate but when I viewed costing table used car is £1 cheaper a month? Not sure how this works?

Any clarification appreciated.

If you go on their service portal you can see the price of a service due plus price of the additional items, which make the total staggering. With a service plan, you’re saving a lot of money if additional items are due

Surely additional items are separate and the services are fixed depending on which service is due? I was told as per my other post service 1 is 420, 2 560 ish, can’t recall exact figure and 3 is £1200. Nothing would be added as fixed?

The annual service costs are indeed variable, but the amount paid via the MB Service Care Plan is always fixed.

So if you manage to 'catch' two or three of the more expensive services, then you will save a considerable amount.

However, if you don't time it correctly and only get basic 'cheap' services under the plan, then you will pay more via the Service Care Plan.

The expensive services are usually year 4 (Service B, Brake fluid, Air filter, Fuel filter or spark plugs) and year 5 (Service A, ATF).

So if you manage to get these two expensive services carried-out under the fixed cost Service Care Plan, then you've done well :thumb:

Thank you. Service 3 seems to be the expensive one for c63 as I was quoted £1200. It was explained to me as a balance of savings as such so catching it right wouldn’t make any difference as you could owe money in some cases? Do I have this wrong?

Thank you. Service 3 seems to be the expensive one for c63 as I was quoted £1200. It was explained to me as a balance of savings as such so catching it right wouldn’t make any difference as you could owe money in some cases? Do I have this wrong?
Work out the cost of the next 2 services (get online quotes) and add them both up.

Then check the monthly plan cost and multiply it by the number of payments.

This will tell you exactly how much you'll save with the plan.

It's really that simple.... there's nothing more to it.

Work out the cost of the next 2 services (get online quotes) and add them both up.

Then check the monthly plan cost and multiply it by the number of payments.

This will tell you exactly how much you'll save with the plan.

It's really that simple.... there's nothing more to it.

^ this ^

The bare facts are you pay significantly less under a service plan than PAYG for like for same work.

The variable cost is irrelevant under the service plan - i calculate the service cost as the total amount paid under the plan (£1260) divided by the number of services (3). Simples.

My back of the envelope calculations show i saved c£900 compared to PAYG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom