service plans - worth the money?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What you are all missing is the fact that with PAYG you can supply your own service parts (with some dealers) which makes it cheaper than a service plan. For example, they're selling the oil at multiple times the price you can buy it from MB Newcastle online...

What you are all missing is the fact that with PAYG you can supply your own service parts (with some dealers) which makes it cheaper than a service plan. For example, they're selling the oil at multiple times the price you can buy it from MB Newcastle online...

That does change things somewhat, but even so with a B Service and lots of additional items the Service Care Plan will still be cheaper.

The point is that it really depends on the cost of the specific services covered under the plan. For example, on a straightforward Service A with no additional items, the service plan will actually be dearer.

So when calculating the cost of the PAYG services, by all means reduce the amount saved by using your own oil, this will move the breakeven point further to one side, but still the service plan will work-out cheaper on the big services.

Service plans play on the fact that everyone loves a monthly payment these days because apparently nobody has the ability to suck up some larger costs from time to time due to spending every last penny of income. o_O

Does that programme still qualify the car for Mobilo and the corrosion warranty (which is of debatable value)

My dealer provides a discounted service option but it doesn’t qualify for the above or a free loan car...

Service plans play on the fact that everyone loves a monthly payment these days because apparently nobody has the ability to suck up some larger costs from time to time due to spending every last penny of income. o_O

That. And that they are far cheaper.

Which is different model and not a valid like for like comparison

Using an Indy or lying on your back and DIY with pattern parts is even cheaper, but again is not a valid comprising imo.

My cynical nature also encourages me to the view that the MB Dealers' "Rack Rate" for servicing is priced to make Service Care look attractive :rolleyes:

That said, on a newer car - especially one that's still under warranty - as a general rule Main Dealer service history is still worth maintaining, so a Service Care plan is a reasonable proposition.

Work out the cost of the next 2 services (get online quotes) and add them both up.

Then check the monthly plan cost and multiply it by the number of payments.

This will tell you exactly how much you'll save with the plan.

It's really that simple.... there's nothing more to it.

We are digressing.... :)

The OP asked about the cost of Dealer PAYG service vs MB Service Care Plan.

Obviously a good indie will be cheaper, but this is a separate issue - the assumption is that the OP wants (for whatever reason) a dealer service.

And, discounted repairs are not directly related either, because these would not be covered by the MB Service Care Plan anyway (and so there's nothing to compare it with).

The relevant information that has been added is:

- Supplying your own oil will reduce the cost of the PAYG service
- The Sundown group provides a discount on servicing for older car (10% for 3-8 years old cars, and 15% for 9+ years old)

These needs to be factored-in when when calculating the cost saving as per above.

And, as per previous posts, the actual saving (if any) will depend on the specific services that will be covered.

Thank you. Service 3 seems to be the expensive one for c63 as I was quoted £1200. It was explained to me as a balance of savings as such so catching it right wouldn’t make any difference as you could owe money in some cases? Do I have this wrong?
The easiest way to think of it is that a Service Care plan caps the total cost of servicing (including all scheduled use parts and labour, but excluding wear parts that are only replaced when they wear out). This means that you may win, i.e. the total cost of the servicing over the period of the plan would have cost more than the aggregate of the monthly payments, or you may lose if the total cost of the servicing over the period of the plan would have cost less. This is assuming that you make all payments due under the plan and use all the services.

Things are different if you terminate the plan early. In that case MB calculate the aggregate of the payments you've made to the plan and then deduct the cost of the service(s) that you have had carried out at the value they have been invoiced by the dealer. If you have paid more than the total invoiced cost you will get a refund; if you have paid less then you will have to make a further payment to terminate the plan early. In addition, there is an early termination fee payable (currently £40 + VAT) that is waived if you have purchased another MB car and are taking out a Service Care plan on that car.

We are digressing.... :)

The OP asked about the cost of Dealer PAYG service vs MB Service Care Plan.

Obviously a good indie will be cheaper, but this is a separate issue - the assumption is that the OP wants (for whatever reason) a dealer service.

And, discounted repairs are not directly related either, because these would not be covered by the MB Service Care Plan anyway (and so there's nothing to compare it with).

The relevant information that has been added is:

- Supplying your own oil will reduce the cost of the PAYG service
- The Sundown group provides a discount on servicing for older car (10% for 3-8 years old cars, and 15% for 9+ years old)

These needs to be factored-in when when calculating the cost saving as per above.

And, as per previous posts, the actual saving (if any) will depend on the specific services that will be covered.

The discounts you have quoted are for parts, labour is discounted by 40%.

The information in the Sandown Group link provided above said 10% to 15% on 'servicing' - the 40% discount is for 'repairs'.

Isn't the 40% discount only on cars over 6 years old? - the OPs car is 3 years old, so is "only" 20% off labour

Isn't the 40% discount only on cars over 6 years old? - the OPs car is 3 years old, so is "only" 20% off labour
Yes, but as above - the 20% does not apply to servicing (servicing is discounted by only 10%).

If you go on their service portal you can see the price of a service due plus price of the additional items, which make the total staggering. With a service plan, you’re saving a lot of money if additional items are due

Hmmm...it's almost as if MB set the menu pricing stupidly high so ServiceCare looks like a no-brainer. :)

My car was dealer serviced until recently and they (MB Chester) were always up for negotiation - not many years ago I got one of the 4th year services where everything gets done, and they did an ATF change too, for just over £400. And another member on here got the same on his E Class and paid slightly less than I did.

Then suddenly they pulled the shutters down and wouldn't discuss pricing, referring me to the online system. Funnily enough got an email from them a couple of months ago saying they will price match against "independent service centres".

I know from comments I've seen re Audis, it's very common to get the dealer to price match against a local garage (I even read of someone doing it using a quote from Halfords) but I haven't seen it with Mercedes. Yet they're often owned by the same dealership groups.

How do you know this?

I got a quote. The service care plan for 3 years was about the same money as that 1 big service so it made sense to sign up.

Yes, but as above - the 20% does not apply to servicing (servicing is discounted by only 10%).

interesting as I read it another way..

"Stocked parts discount on workshop repairs and servicing - 10%"
- ie 10% off all parts used in workshop repair and / or in servicing

"Labour Discount - 20%"
- ie 20% of all labour (both repairs and servicing)

such are the nuances of grammar...

interesting as I read it another way..

"Stocked parts discount on workshop repairs and servicing - 10%"
- ie 10% off all parts used in workshop repair and / or in servicing

"Labour Discount - 20%"
- ie 20% of all labour (both repairs and servicing)

such are the nuances of grammar...

I see.

So does it mean:

'Stocked parts discount on workshop repairs, and servicing - 10%'

Or does it mean:

'Stocked parts discount - on workshop repairs and servicing - 10%'

Your interpretation actually makes sense if you assume that what they meant to say was that ther's no 10% discount on stocked parts bought at the parts counter then carried-away.

The labour discount on servicing is 40% i have previously had cars serviced there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom