Service question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chrisd107

Car
C200, W205
I was just informed by the Merc dealer that my service is due next month and after informing me of the price he also said that the break fluid will need changing for an additional £85.00. I questioned this as my car has only covered 4500 miles and his reply was ‘All Mercedes cars need the break fluid changed every two years because of possible water contamination due to humidity.

This sounds like BS, has anyone else here been told that?

:dk:

Changing brake fluid every two years irrespective of mileage and for the reasons stated is fairly standard practice and is good advice.

They do draw moisture in - hence mercedes putting a 2 year service interval on Brake fluid. It is however a little over cautious of Mercedes. If your on a tight budget wait until your next service, it won't be dangerous to leave it another year or so.

I was just informed by the Merc dealer that my service is due next month and after informing me of the price he also said that the break fluid will need changing for an additional £85.00. I questioned this as my car has only covered 4500 miles and his reply was ‘All Mercedes cars need the break fluid changed every two years because of possible water contamination due to humidity.

This sounds like BS, has anyone else here been told that?

:dk:
Hi,brake fluid is HYGROSCOPIC meaning it absorbs water,under heavy prolonged braking the water can boil causing an air lock.This is unlikely to happen after two years,HOWEVER,what also happens (unseen) is that the water in the fluid can cause the drake components to rust from the inside. £84 is a small price to pay for peace of mind.:)

my dealer charged me just over £50 for brake fluid change...

I had this happen at last (franchised) dealer service. Had already agreed service cost but when car was taken in they said brake fluid change was due. I didn't mind having it done but did think it was too expensive. Had a moan and they reduced it to £50 ish (can't remember exactly how much).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom