Service rip off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rambo21

Car
Mercedes GLA
I bought my first MB 4 years ago a used vehicle GLA AMG line with 13000 miles on the clock
It was bought from a main dealer and had an A service when bought
I have been a mechanic for the last 30 years now retired have always serviced my own cars.
To keep it brief checked the oil on purchase clean fresh oil
As the car was still under warranty decided to get a service plan.
Had both A And B service in that time .
The car had only done 7000 miles during both services
Checking oil each time black and in my opinion hadn’t been changed or anything else for that matter
Being a Diesel some might say it’s going to look black so hard to prove but on a low mileage engine 15000 at the time it’s going to look like fresh oil .
They didn’t basically do anything except 2 very expensive car washes not sure exactly £1300 for the service plan !
Absolute rip off !!!
Now due to a year it’s due a B service Quoted £850 oil change air filter fuel filter !! Sorry how does that add up
Approx 1 hours labour and parts
You’re buying a service history nothing else go to the independent
They are selling you a dream of highly qualified technicians who you can trust but that’s not the reality .
If I’m paying for it I want the oil changed ! At the very least

Ah but you're forgetting all the "checks" the very qualified technician has to make during the service;) and the cost of all the dollies they have to pay to swan about the showroom. Yep you're largely preaching to the converted, but it's not confined to MB either.

Just to add to my last post
When your car is in the workshop a technician is given a job sheet and assigned the parts
It’s a busy place nobody is taking notice of the work that’s going on .
When you see the video what are they showing you ?
Tyres being checked brake pads .....what about the oil being drained or the air filter being replaced ...brake fluid change ? Fuel filter ...how do you know are you going to check
That’s the truth of it ....hopefully you will get someone decent or the one that doesn’t give a crap and keeps the decent oil and parts for his car or sells them on eBay
Believe me I’ve seen it !

Which dealership?

Ah but you're forgetting all the "checks" the very qualified technician has to make during the service;) and the cost of all the dollies they have to pay to swan about the showroom. Yep you're largely preaching to the converted, but it's not confined to MB either.
Yes ...I suppose as the saying goes a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!
I know it’s a bit more refined now and I’m getting on a bit but I know mechanics that would just wipe around the engine with an oily rag for a service!

Feel proud to be sponsoring little loius in his f1 car .

When I bought a brand new Motorhome it went for its first service it had done only 5,000 miles, I checked the oil after driving it home. The oil was completely black, this was because the remaining oil in the oil cooler never drains fully so stains the new oil, it then appears black and looks old in 10 miles. Is this not always the case ?

Which dealership?
Look at my town
When I bought a brand new Motorhome it went for its first service it had done only 5,000 miles, I checked the oil after driving it home. The oil was completely black, this was because the remaining oil in the oil cooler never drains fully so stains the new oil, it then appears black and looks old in 10 miles. Is this not always the case ?
Its very difficult to tell
In my experience a new engine or low mileage engine you can tell when the oil has been changed because it will simply look cleaner.(lighter shade of black )
I think in my case because of the very low mileage between service they just didn’t bother to change the oil ....the point I was making I was charged for it.
Modern oil specifies 20000 service intervals in some cases
With a lot of cars including MB it’s also a yearly interval .
It’s all down to trust at the end of the day
I ve spent all my life working on cars
There are tell tale signs ..the tool will mark the oil filter cap dust over the filler cap
Etc
I know my car wasn’t touched but they will swear blind that they did everything specified .

Look at my town

In my experience a new engine or low mileage engine you can tell when the oil has been changed because it will simply look cleaner.(lighter shade of black )
I think in my case because of the very low mileage between service they just didn’t bother to change the oil ....the point I was making I was charged for it.
There are tell tale signs ..the tool will mark the oil filter cap dust over the filler cap
Etc
I know my car wasn’t touched but they will swear blind that they did everything specified .
Time to go the Indy route buddy , or diy with your knowledge

I bought my first MB 4 years ago a used vehicle GLA AMG line with 13000 miles on the clock
It was bought from a main dealer and had an A service when bought
I have been a mechanic for the last 30 years now retired have always serviced my own cars.
To keep it brief checked the oil on purchase clean fresh oil
As the car was still under warranty decided to get a service plan.
Had both A And B service in that time .
The car had only done 7000 miles during both services
Checking oil each time black and in my opinion hadn’t been changed or anything else for that matter
Being a Diesel some might say it’s going to look black so hard to prove but on a low mileage engine 15000 at the time it’s going to look like fresh oil .
They didn’t basically do anything except 2 very expensive car washes not sure exactly £1300 for the service plan !
Absolute rip off !!!
Now due to a year it’s due a B service Quoted £850 oil change air filter fuel filter !! Sorry how does that add up
Approx 1 hours labour and parts
You’re buying a service history nothing else go to the independent
They are selling you a dream of highly qualified technicians who you can trust but that’s not the reality .
If I’m paying for it I want the oil changed ! At the very least
£1300 sounds like the cost of a 3 year service plan on MB rates so are you sure your 3rd service is not included.

Look at my town

Etc
So unless you marked the cap there is no way to tell for certain unless you have an analysis done, but that’s way too expensive.
but I know on mine it was as black as it was when drained after just 10 miles.

£1300 sounds like the cost of a 3 year service plan on MB rates so are you sure your 3rd service is not included.
Yes 100% I rang them it was 3 years @ £39 a month
It had 2 (services)
It’s been practically unused since last year maybe 3000 miles since last service
My wife uses it and has been working from home
Told me 3rd service wasn’t included and give me the £850 quote
I’m just angry about the oil
It is thick black looks like it’s done 100k !,
Problem is yes I could have serviced it myself
Always when you sell on people want the MB service history
Or any warranty claim they will wriggle out of it

If you don't trust them, get like James Bond, an unobtrusive mark between the filler cap to cam cover, dipstick, sump plug, they will never go back in exactly the same place. Take picture for proof before it goes in. Terrible that people can't be trusted to do the right job

It is thick black looks like it’s done 100k
The oil should never be thick and black, mines like thin and black after just 3500 miles. Something really wrong if it’s thick and black.

Last edited:
Yes 100% I rang them it was 3 years @ £39 a month
It had 2 (services)
It’s been practically unused since last year maybe 3000 miles since last service
My wife uses it and has been working from home
Told me 3rd service wasn’t included and give me the £850 quote
It is thick black looks like it’s done 100k !,
Problem is yes I could have serviced it myself
Always when you sell on people want the MB service history
Or any warranty claim they will wriggle out of it
If it was 3-years then there should be a third service included, unless somehow something happened when they serviced it when you first bought it and that counted as service 1. Do you still have the original paperwork, that might help disprove their computer records, too often 'computer says no' has been overturned by production of the original paperwork - it's happened twice with me, but in both cases it was finance-related, and they were wrong.

I agree with your thoughts about their pricing structure and I've been hacked off enough with it now that I've even taken car under new-car warranty elsewhere for service (yes, aware of warranty situation) - I keep my cars for a long time and want them serviced properly, not a tick-box exercise.

So unless you marked the cap there is no way to tell for certain unless you have an analysis done, but that’s way too expensive.
but I know on mine it was as black as it was when drained after just 10 miles.
The oil should never be thick and black, mines like thin and black after just 3500 miles. Something really wrong if it’s thick and black.
Yes a lot of short runs and they didn’t do it !!!
Probably only done the once when I bought it 4years
It’s a disgrace
Going to do it myself later in the week

If it was 3-years then there should be a third service included, unless somehow something happened when they serviced it when you first bought it and that counted as service 1. Do you still have the original paperwork, that might help disprove their computer records, too often 'computer says no' has been overturned by production of the original paperwork - it's happened twice with me, but in both cases it was finance-related, and they were wrong.

I agree with your thoughts about their pricing structure and I've been hacked off enough with it now that I've even taken car under new-car warranty elsewhere for service (yes, aware of warranty situation) - I keep my cars for a long time and want them serviced properly, not a tick-box exercise.
Yes it was strange when I booked it online it said free then changed to £850 when I rang the customer helpline
I will do it myself easy enough
Wouldn’t go back there
Just wanted to make people aware
Thanks for everyone’s comments

Yearly services are just a money making scam and we let them get away with it.

Yearly services are just a money making scam and we let them get away with it.
Yes I don’t get it
Most cars out of warranty go to an independent or diy
Why can’t they do a service at a reasonable price and keep the customer base
They never breakdown labour cost and parts price for servicing
I still can’t work out my quote labour must have been £650 for the hour !

Only trust the person you see in the mirror and keep an eye on him too. I would love to trust someone but have been proved wrong so many times, to the extent of giving them the oil and filter the next year i changed the oil myself and it was not the merc filter i gave them. Aghh Be careful out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom