Service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scottishman2

Car
CLK AMG 55 Cab
My car will soon need a service for the first time since I bought it (guess I shouldn't drive it so often!!). The system says a "B" service and it will have 55000 on the clock.

Past servicing has been at MB dealers but it looks like, despite main dealer servicing the plugs have never been changed since it was new in May 2004!! Would a main dealer not change them after 4 years??

How things have changed -- I remember buying 4 new plugs for my first car every time I did an oil change (every 3000 miles) and still having change from a fiver.... then again, the man with the red flag in front of the car was a pain....

My car will soon need a service for the first time since I bought it (guess I shouldn't drive it so often!!). The system says a "B" service and it will have 55000 on the clock.

Past servicing has been at MB dealers but it looks like, despite main dealer servicing the plugs have never been changed since it was new in May 2004!! Would a main dealer not change them after 4 years??

How things have changed -- I remember buying 4 new plugs for my first car every time I did an oil change (every 3000 miles) and still having change from a fiver.... then again, the man with the red flag in front of the car was a pain....
:D

I believe MB state a mileage or time interval for plug changes whichever is reached first. There are potential problems with plugs becoming stuck if left in the heads for extended periods.

I was quoted £170 by my Indie and I only have 12 to change unlike your 16, MB were suggesting closer to £300 for mine!!:eek:

The plugs should work fine (especially if your AMG was fitted with the NGK Iridium plugs at the factory as opposed to the standard Bosch Platinum), the reason for changing them every four years is to ensure that their metal thread does not corrode into the alloy head making their eventual removal impossible.

An MB dealer will recommend the 'additional' items when the car is booked for service - but the customer may decline it. Some MB dealers won't sign the book of the additional items are not done, but others will.

The 'additional items' petrol cars should have are:

Every four years - air filer, fuel filter, spark plugs, ATF change.

Every two years - brake fluid change

Cabin filter I believe is included with the B-Service.

(said that, AMG schedule may be more frequent)

And for a good indie, try driving down to Olly at PCS Horndean (BlackC55 on this forum). A bit far away, but well worth the drive - your AMG will like it!

Some MB dealers won't sign the book of the additional items are not done, but others will.

Much as I hate dealers, I think this is a good example of why it probably is reasonable that they shouldn't stamp the book unless the work is done.

It's possible they have been done, but it's not been noted, or it could have just slipped through as the mileage would have been pretty low at 4yrs.

The 'additional items' petrol cars should have are:

Every four years - air filer, fuel filter, spark plugs, ATF change.

I know my car is fairly different, but I think the same applies - the 4 yr ATF change is only a mandatory item on cars from Oct 04.

Is it every 4yrs. For fuel filter change on a 03 e320 petrol.

also remember depending on year of your car, servicing may be every 13000 miles instead of annually

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom