Serviced by an MB Dealer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maff

MB Enthusiast
Just wondered if anyone has had their car serviced (since new or nearly new) at an independent garage as opposed to the dealer, and then part exchanged that car at an MB Dealer at a later time?

If so, did the MB dealer comment that whilst it has been serviced accordingly, it would not be worth as much, or that they may not be able to do a part exchange, as it wasn't serviced by MB?

This seems to be the problem i've got at the moment...

BUT you bought the car from a MB dealer, didn't you?

Maff said:
This seems to be the problem i've got at the moment...

C240Sport97 said:

Yes from new for the ML270 which we've just part exchanged... (or at least we thought we had part exchanged!) :confused:

I forgot you are a 2 MB family :D :D

Maff said:
Yes from new for the ML270 which we've just part exchanged... (or at least we thought we had part exchanged!) :confused:

C240Sport97 said:

I think Maff's question is based on having bought from the dealer but then the servicing been done by an independent - not the dealer the car was bought from, or any other MB dealer. And that the dealer he is now trying to part-ex with is questioning the validity of the warranty etc as the servicing is not MB.

Can't say I have but it will be interesting to see if anyone has succeeded in this as it can only become more common now we are allowed to use independents etc for servicing.

pammy said:
Can't say I have but it will be interesting to see if anyone has succeeded in this as it can only become more common now we are allowed to use independents etc for servicing.

Unfortunately Pammy unless the 'Independant' is authorised by Mercedes-Benz I am of the opinion that the Mobilio terms and conditions have been broken.

I can see both sides of this arguement; if the dealer had two vehicles for sale on his forecourt, both the same model, specifications, with exactly the same mileage, same colour, same options. One had the mobilio 30 year cover, one had not, which one would you buy?

I accept that some members do not think Mobilio is worth the paper it is wrote on. I am paying very close attention to Grav's situation, but usually this warranty is highly beneficial, and even includes free breakdown cover even in Europe!

Sorry to hear about the problem Maff, I would have thought the dealer would look at the vehicles you own and try to keep you sat inside a nice Mercedes-Benz? The neighbours down the road have a Range Rover Sport and talk very highly of it! Perhaps you could point this out to your MB dealer.

Good luck with this problem and I hope it soon gets resolved to your satisfaction,
John

Does this not fall into the category of " sorry mate theres not much call for these in silver" or "its a pity you haven't got -------- " the option quoted is irrelevant as long as its not on your car. "The market for this model is poorer since they brought out the face lifted model last year" " large sigh, oh dear its an import is it" i.e. the motor trades subtle way of beating down your trade-in price. Is this doubt about your car's trade in value reflected in the resale forecourt price of your traded vehicle if the deal goes thro. I doubt it. Much of this stems from a fundamental lack of ability and hence confidence of sales personnel to accurately assess a vehicle. You may find as I did your salesman was selling insurance the week before QUOTE "its all about selling, its just that the product is different" and may be selling fitted kitchens 6 months down the road. The result is the guy just acts on a set of immutable rules to assess the car. leading to the situation
not serviced by main dealer = system error please reboot brain. situation unknown cannot compute trade in value. reset reset reset.

The car's 4 years old now, so it's out of the MB warranty anyway.

The best part is, if we had had it serviced by MB according to the ASSYST system, it would only have 1 service, as the car only has 16,000 miles on the clock.

We've had it services three times (every 5500 miles) and they think this makes it worth less! (purely because it's non-MB dealer serviced)

They are going to call back on Monday with an answer, I already know what my response will be if theirs is negative!

Maff said:
They are going to call back on Monday with an answer, I already know what my response will be if theirs is negative!

Am I correct in thinking that you have had a good relationship with this dealership?

It looks like they are trying to get the best deal possible for themselves, which to me is a major turn-off. Respect is something that is earnt, it is also a two way deal. My dealer knows I am a man of my word, if he gives the best deal he can reeasonably afford, then I will return. If, on the other hand they try to be clever and make as much profit off of me, then I know where the front door is.

Car sales people are not fools, they flutter from dealership to dealership and like to keep 'good' customers on-side. The people dealing with you do not sound street-wise. It could be the way I am reading your post, but if I was the salesperson I would be spoiling you something rotten solely in the hope of developing a 'trust' whereby in a couple of years time you will ask for me personally when you come to trade in your next car!

On Monday, turn the tables!!

John

Suffered the same line from MB yesterday 2 MB service in 4 years. Then I bought it and its had 2 services in 8 months plus load of other work done and yes they have said that the cars not worth them taking as its an SL without FMBSH :rolleyes:

part ex

hope the dealer stands by your custom....and dose the right thing loyalty and all that

Maff said:
Hi Maff,
Sorry for being rude, but the suspense is killing me!!!!

Did you win?

John

The update is - there is none!

The dealer never called today, so I can only assume that is good news. When I spoke on Friday I basically explained that it was either the deal we agreed or not at all.

I guess they thought it wasn't worth loosing a £45k cash order over the missing letters 'MB' in FMBSH.

If anything changes ill let you know.......

Maff said:
The update is - there is none!

I guess they thought it wasn't worth loosing a £45k cash order over the missing letters 'MB' in FMBSH.

I doubt MB are interested in losing any order for a new car :) Technically cash or finance doesn't matter as the still get the cash upfront :D

Right, just got off the phone to the dealer after giving him an ear bashing....

He called to tell me that because it's not MB serviced they will need to give it a 'proper' MB service before they can sell it. He tells me that a 'proper' MB service for the ML will be £500, but he can reduce it to £300 to do me a favour.

Right, so I mentioned it already had three services, and didn't need another one, but the dealer said that even though assyst said it does not need a service, it needs one every year anyway, whichever is the soonest.

So I said in that case you're going to need to give it a service anyway before you can sell it, MBSH or not, as it's 4 years old next month.

He then sort of agreed with that, and promptly said 'so is the £300 extra OK?'

I said it's fine by me, but it'll come off your commision rather than my pocket.

Then started to get a bit frustrated, so I said, forgot it, i'll be round in 30 minutes to pick up the ML, and we'll go elsewhere. No problem on my part for me.

He then got a bit flustered, and asked me to hold whilst he spoke to 'the director'. He must have pressed the wrong button as I got cut off.

He called back 2 mins later, and calmly said 'Yes Mr Munson, no problem, all is OK and we'll see you in September'.

All this to basically try and squeeze and extra £300 out of me.
:confused:

Bloody Dealers!!!! :devil: :devil:

good to see the sod lose!!!

Maff said:
Right, just got off the phone to the dealer after giving him an ear bashing....

He called to tell me that because it's not MB serviced they will need to give it a 'proper' MB service before they can sell it. He tells me that a 'proper' MB service for the ML will be £500, but he can reduce it to £300 to do me a favour.

Right, so I mentioned it already had three services, and didn't need another one, but the dealer said that even though assyst said it does not need a service, it needs one every year anyway, whichever is the soonest.

So I said in that case you're going to need to give it a service anyway before you can sell it, MBSH or not, as it's 4 years old next month.

He then sort of agreed with that, and promptly said 'so is the £300 extra OK?'

I said it's fine by me, but it'll come off your commision rather than my pocket.

Then started to get a bit frustrated, so I said, forgot it, i'll be round in 30 minutes to pick up the ML, and we'll go elsewhere. No problem on my part for me.

He then got a bit flustered, and asked me to hold whilst he spoke to 'the director'. He must have pressed the wrong button as I got cut off.

He called back 2 mins later, and calmly said 'Yes Mr Munson, no problem, all is OK and we'll see you in September'.

All this to basically try and squeeze and extra £300 out of me.
:confused:

Bloody Dealers!!!! :devil: :devil:

Thanks for the update,
This type of atitude would leave a very bad taste in my mouth, the salesperson was out to make as much money as possible out of someone that is a loyal customer. Everyone needs to make a profit to survive, and I might be misinterpreting your message.

I would make an appointment with the most senior person at that dealership and go in for a friendly personal chat over a nice cup of coffee and tactfully lay a few ground rules.

If you know the managing director then perhaps they could pop round for this chat, but by crikey I would not accept this, and the sales staff need to know you are not happy.

Well done for standing your ground,
John

True John. The only trouble is this is not my 'normal' dealership (mind, i've bought from three different ones in the past, and this is the forth dealer) it's one that specifically gave us a good price on the ML to start with, so they dont have any past loyalty from me (unfortunately)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom