Servicing and service times

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Giantvanman

MB Enthusiast
Car
FFRR 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography
Having trawled through various threads, it seems a straight B service takes two hours and looking at what is done for that service, it isn't much for our car's age/mileage. The unserviceable desk reckon we shouldn't wait for the car because the service is a "big one" and takes five hours.

I therefor checked MyService area online and found that the price was the same but we could pay an extra £20 for a dedicated service manager (whatever that is- how many managers can there be) and have a specific appointment time; no mention of how long the service would be.

Not that I am a suspicious sort (much) but am I being spun a line by the desk because it suits them to have the car all day to fit it in as and when or could it be they are they unaware that a time slot can be booked online?

Based on the quote for the service (£556) I am making an educated guess that it does not take five hours to service our car at all but, am I correct?

2011 SL350 22,200 miles

I would say they just want your car for longer to help them manage the workload throughout the day. Seems expensive too, which additional items are included, if any?

4 years old is a big service and a diesel needs a fuel and air filter. Not sure about petrol. Does your quote include a brake fluid change? Brake fluid change doesn't always come up on my service.

Mine is booked in for a B service on Wednesday.

I was told that it will take approximately three to four hours (different timing than yours again :)) though that was with the free map update which is needed and apparently takes a while. If I wasn't waiting it would take longer, probably for the reason Bob quotes above. Mine is <£500 including the obligatory two yearly brake fluid change.

I'll also be waiting with the car as I want to mooch round the new showroom which my local dealer has just moved to. I figured that as I've helped to pay for it, the least they can do is accommodate me and furnish me with coffee and biscuits. :D

I would say they just want your car for longer to help them manage the workload throughout the day. Seems expensive too, which additional items are included, if any?

4 years old is a big service and a diesel needs a fuel and air filter. Not sure about petrol. Does your quote include a brake fluid change? Brake fluid change doesn't always come up on my service.

I am going into the dealer to investigate service plans seeing as we intend on keeping the SL. Reading your comments and numerous other threads/posts, I am concerned about extras that appear during the service. My intention is to clarify with the service people exactly what work is scheduled because the actual service items, according to the B service schedule, are only oil, oil filter, combined filter (?) and all the rest are checks…no mention of brake fluid.

The B list
What is a 'B' service?

B-Service — First visit at approximately 20,000 miles or one year after previous service, but determined by Flexible Service System; then every 20,000 miles or 2 years.

Services performed:

Interior
Function check
Check warning and indicator lamps, illumination and interior lighting
Check windshield wiper, windshield washer system, headlamp cleaning system
Reset maintenance service counter in instrument cluster
Replace dust filter (not applicable to SL-Class)
Replace combination filter (SL-Class)
Check parking brake (function test only)
Wheels, brakes
Check condition/thickness of front and rear brake discs
Check front and rear brake pads for lining thickness
Check tires for damage and condition
Measure tread depth, record in mm
Correct tire inflation pressure
Underside of Vehicle
Check for major components leakage
Check for chafe marks, line routing, damaged components
Check condition of front axle ball joints and rubber boots
Check condition of mechanical steering components and rubber boots
Engine Compartment
Check for major components leakage
Check for chafe marks, line routing, damaged components
Check and replenish all fluid levels
Change engine oil and filter
Check engine cooling system, antifreeze and corrosion protection
Check brake system
Check power steering
Check Active Body Control
Check windshield washer system
Check and correct battery fluid level
Check battery condition
Check catch, safety catch and hinges on engine hood for proper operation
Check condition of poly V-belt
Boot
Check battery condition
Correct tire inflation pressure in spare tire

I am not querying the cost of the service in itself; it just seems odd when adding labour and parts, it 'only' adds up to £556 for FIVE hours work. That's the bit that doesn't make sense when the B is normally two hours. This leads me to be suspicious which is why I will be asking direct questions way ahead of the service early next month.

The service time is important to me because I would rather not leave the car with them all day if not strictly necessary. Knowledge being strength, I thought I would consult the collected wisdom of the forum to see if any light can be shed on the state of play, as it were.

Last edited:
All of our MB's are under fixed service plans. I tend to drop them off take a loan car and pick them up at the end of the day so can't comment on time. prt from consumables I haven't had any additional costs. On the consumable front it's worth trawling around the network before committing your car to a dealer. Recently my usual dealer quoted me £1400+ vat more than another one in the same group for pad and front disc replacements!!!! Shocking considering that's where I buy most of my cars and they indicated they were giving me a health discount! They subsequently lost the order of my GT S to the other dealer.

I would imagine the 5 hours includes waiting time and that a technician doesn't work on one car from start to finish. There may be waiting time for access to certain equipment, ramps etc.

Seems a hell of a lot of "Checking" in the schedule most of which could be done just by looking! Guess its the price you have to pay for a fully stamped service history _ goes against the grain a bit for me though!

As it's a petrol then at 4yrs it should need the plugs changing, unless they've been done already due to mileage. And air filters as well as brake fluid.

Have you checked the Electronic Service Sheet: Mercedes-Benz ESS ? The MyService page is supposed to be linked to that, so the quote it gives you should include any Additional Work required.

I've found on my car, though, that due to pretty low mileage a lot of work doesn't come up when it should.

All clarified and 'problem' solved!

As it's a petrol then at 4yrs it should need the plugs changing, unless they've been done already due to mileage. And air filters as well as brake fluid.

Have you checked the Electronic Service Sheet: Mercedes-Benz ESS ? The MyService page is supposed to be linked to that, so the quote it gives you should include any Additional Work required.

I've found on my car, though, that due to pretty low mileage a lot of work doesn't come up when it should.

I was at the dealer this morning and looked at the ESS printout and it is only a B service with no additional elements due; the service guy was very helpful and did lots of checking for me. We concluded it was a TWO hour service or 2 ½ with wash and vacuum (no thanks) and he waived the additional £25 charge for selecting a timed service appointment…he was embarrassed to hear that the service desk had said a timed appointment couldn't be made and they gave wrong information about the time the service took!

The ATF change on ours is at 47,500 and we are not due brake fluid change until next year so we have delayed buying a service plan at all or until next year on his advice. It was interesting to hear that they themselves don't like the current system because there is so much 'educated guesswork' that has to go into working out what may and may not come up and when.

All I have to do now is take the wheels off so I can check the disc and pad wear and have a shuftie underneath to see if any unscheduled items may be needed.

Thanks to all for the advice. Problem SOLVED:thumb:

Last edited:
Well that thread answered all my questions on B Service! :thumb:

Booked mine in for B Service (2 Free services when I bought car last year) Interesting comment on ATF.... they told me mine changed at 43k miles, now at 56k miles they say does not need doing again as it only needs changing once in life of car???? can that be right??

The brake fluid change is included in B service apparently along with lubricating the panoramic roof

The counter says 20 days to service but first loan car available 24 days time I take it as long as booked in no problem with going a few days over due date?

I was at the dealer this morning and looked at the ESS printout and it is only a B service with no additional elements due; the service guy was very helpful and did lots of checking for me. We concluded it was a TWO hour service or 2 ½ with wash and vacuum (no thanks) and he waived the additional £25 charge for selecting a timed service appointment…he was embarrassed to hear that the service desk had said a timed appointment couldn't be made and they gave wrong information about the time the service took!

The ATF change on ours is at 47,500 and we are not due brake fluid change until next year so we have delayed buying a service plan at all or until next year on his advice. It was interesting to hear that they themselves don't like the current system because there is so much 'educated guesswork' that has to go into working out what may and may not come up and when.

All I have to do now is take the wheels off so I can check the disc and pad wear and have a shuftie underneath to see if any unscheduled items may be needed.

Thanks to all for the advice. Problem SOLVED:thumb:

Don't forget to take a snap of the sump while you are under there.

You should not need to, even if the pads are low, they will tell you about potential additional work. You don't have to have them do it.

This happened to me, service advisor say pads 80% worn, my reply was thanks, can u get the parts guys to order me a set, and I will do them when they need doing.

Apart from being slightly surprised, he was fine with it.
Did not affect the fact that it had been serviced according to schedule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom