Servicing pain.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

milleplod

Car
S212 E350CDi
......in my lower back!! :(

After sorting the oil and filter, I thought I might as well do the air and cabin filters too - I picked up a Hengst cabin filter for under a fiver and Fram air filters for a tenner....can't beat a bargain! :D

Anyway, a quick look at a couple of YouTube videos showed me how easy the jobs were, so I set-to with enthusiasm. First thing I noticed was that the engine cover (E280CDi Sport) was more or less resting on the mounting pillars, rather than being held in place by the rubber bungs - I sorted that out easily enough by putting some silicone sealant in the worn bungs before refitting it, nice and secure now, and pops off with a bit more effort than before. I'll order some replacement bungs at some point. Cabin filter was a doddle, one of the easiest I've ever done - my previous Citroen involved contorting myself into the passenger footwell, upside down, and then dismantling half of the plastics behind the glovebox, while holding a torch in my mouth, to get at the filter. :eek:

Then, the air filters. Correct bolts located, undone....relevant clamps undone....one sensor disconnected....a pull up on each housing....they're off! Filters replaced, 5-minute job. Then comes the 'refitting is simply the reverse......' bit. :rolleyes: At first, I thought the driver's side airbox had gone more-or-less staright back on.....but then realised that the 2 supporting pillars that push into rubber grommets weren't located properly....so, another attempt at getting them both in place.....nope.....then another....much wiggling (not much wiggle room though!) and then after about 20 minutes they're in! And my back's aching.....:(

On to the passenger side one...which made the first one seem a doddle tbh! :mad: It took 45 minutes of wiggling, removing, replacing, more wiggling, pushing, pulling....all the time being slightly stooped over the engine. I eventually got the 2 pillars into the grommets, but could then hardly move because of the pain in my lower back. :eek: Perhaps there's a knack that I've obviously not got! I did think about removing the forward air tubes, which would've provided a bit more wiggle room, but wasn't sure if I'd then have created another fiddly job getting them back in place!

Anyway, jobs done, a few quid saved....and I'm now hobbling around the house like a 90-year old, dosed up with painkillers and anti-inflammatories! :D

Pete

I know your pain, I stopped doing this kind of work on my cars when I discovered "Service Plans".

But you have the satisfaction of having saved thy brass :D,I know exactly what you mean by the citroen cabin filters my car had two one on top of the other what a crazy idea,and of course all that plastic trim removed just to get at it, like you I get that lower back pain when spending too long in the half bent position,my last session with the S320 was to replace the engine bay battery,got the old one out with a slight pull of the lumber regions and putting the new one in finished my back for two weeks:wallbash: getting too old for even minor servicing now.

Reactions: BMF
The fuse box in my Renault Scenic II was located in the 'roof' of the glove compartment.

I often wondered if a talent hunter passing by would offer me a job in a circus.

I was a few years younger then....

Reactions: BMF
Don't ever get ordinary pollen filter unless you like NOx and diesel particulates .

Now why don't the gubberment tell you that... the great diesel con...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom