Servicing questions for a 300CE 91

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

babyblueCE

Car
300 CE
Hello all. I am looking to get my 300CE serviced and as i do have some mechanical know how i wish to carry out the service by myself. I just have a few questions and was wondering if anyone give me any insight into them as this is my first Mercedes Benz;

1) Where is the fuel filter located?
2) How many litres of oil does the car take.
3) GSF car parts recommend that i use 10w 40 in my car, will this be better than 15w 40 or lower?
4) I've been told that the coolant in the radiator is not taken from the main coolant tank, if so how can i drain the radiator and which coolant shall i use, red or blue?
5) While i'm under the car should there be anything i should look out for that wears over time?

BTW the car has done 185000 on the clock and i dont have and know the service history of the car.
Thanks all :thumb:

The fuel filter is under the car,next to the drivers rear wheel
You'll need 7l of oil but don't use the lot and wait for others for more info

10-40 semi synthetic is correct. Well worth doing the gearbox oil if you are not certain when last done.
Whilst underneath look for corrosion around the jacking points and rear subframe mounts.

To give you an idea what is involved the first thread in the How to section explains doing ATF change on a 210. Personally I got Olly at PCS to do ours.
Other things to check would be engine mounts, suspension bushes, prop shaft bushes, steering bushes etc. Small items but new ones can transform the drive.

1) Where is the fuel filter located?

Underneath the car at the rear, make sure you are armed with new copper washers from the dealer too.

2) How many litres of oil does the car take.

As above, 10w40 Semi Synth changed every year is best IMO.

4) I've been told that the coolant in the radiator is not taken from the main coolant tank, if so how can i drain the radiator and which coolant shall i use, red or blue?

See whats in there already, I use blue in my cars. Take the bottom hose off the rad and there is a drain plug on the block, however this can be tricky to get to so I normally take the inlet and outlet hoses off from the block and force water through it with a hose then compensate by adding the right amount of coolant mix.
Cooling system takes 9L so you want at least 4.5 litres of coolant concentrate.

As for the ATF, you drain the sump and also there is a drain plug on the torque convertor.. To find this you need to turn the convertor slowly with a screwdriver in its teeth.
You will be best to order two new sump plugs and washers (same on sump and TC).
You will also need new sump gasket.
THE ATF capacity is 6.2L. THe way I do it is to add 4L slowly through the dipstick tube and then start the car and run through the gears whilst stationary... Then add around 1.5L... Then drive the car a few miles and check level and add the remaining.
It will never read right if you try and add it all before driving the car as it takes time and heat to settle down and get around the box.

Oh remember that the transmission sump bolts are only done up to around 6nm, so thats pinch tight only otherwise you will split the new gasket... I do loads of these changes on my cars and still sometimes over tighten as its natural to think it feels too loose.

8NM for the sump pan bolts.

In addition to the above chaps excellent advice BB, there is a plastic cover over the fuel filter/pump. I also use 15/40 High Mileage in mine (she's done 160,000).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom