Servicng Intervals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l5foye

Car
ML 300CDI
As my ML is 13 months old with 10900 miles on semi-synthetic oil, I decided to have it serviced with me supplying the oil ( Shell Helix Ultra which is fully synthetic). My reasoning was that having service done now would reduce the cost of the next one. Is this correct? In the event, the cost was £106 inc vat . After I had left it in the garage, I got a phone call to ask if I had made a mistake as it was not due a service for another 6000 miles. I told them -no, that I wanted it serviced. When will the next service become due?
I should mention that the courtesy car was a brand new E Class with petrol !
The ML came back beautifully cleaned inc the interior. All in all, I reckon I was not too badly stung ( even though the only materials supplied by the garage were a oil filter and w/washing fluid) I had thought that the diesel fuel filter would have been changed. Your views would be appreciated.

Hi,
I had my ML (270CDi) serviced at 18 months (17,000 miles with 1800miles still to go on ASSYST) as I also felt it was a long time to go without an oil change. This was charged as an A service and ASSYST was reset (to 13,500 miles). Since then ASSYST has been 'counting down' on par with mileage, even though my driving style/routes etc. are unchanged. I don't know why I'm not getting an increased service interval as previously. Can Dealers set ASSYST to a 'count down' mode?.
I will be interested in how ASSYST 'responds' in your case ?

However the next service will be the B service etc. (which may include diesel filter change?) and is (a lot) more expensive.
By bringing the A service forward you may have also brought the B service forward.

If ASSYST 'works' then that should dictate service intervals (based on oil quality etc.) etc. The only advantage I can see to supplying own oil is that you don't have to pay (through the nose) for 7 x 1 ltr bottles (=£70 + VAT etc.)!!!!

Cheers,

Dieter

PS My ML drives OK!!!!(unlike ChrisK's who has complained about his (ex-)ML on every Mercedes web site I've seen!)

Last edited:
Servicing intervals

I don't like the idea that I may have brought forward the 'B' service. Can someone explain how the ASSYST works please?
ps my ML drives well too unlike ChrisK's but then he favours a Ford Explorer -the greatest motor scandal in history.

It is true, that I favoured the Explorer, as I really didnt think my ML was worth the additional £28,000 over the cost of what I paid for the Explorer, but thats simply my thoughts. I had been an MB enthusiast for the last 14 years and I just wanted to make prospective MB purchasers aware that the 3 pointed star is no guarantee of quality anymore.
With reference to the comments on the "greatest scandal" if you mean about Ford Explorers toppling over as reported at great length in the US, then you will also accept that it was a problem with the OE supplied Firestone tyres. For many years Firestone tyres were OE for all Fords. Firestone made a real ****-up by producing a cheap tyre for the Explorer where the sidewalls weres not strong enough and would shred. As a result of the litigation Firestone are no longer around. But realistically this could happen with any 4wheel drive, the centre of gravity being higher off the ground than a saloon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom