Setting up as a used car trader - bottom of the ladder!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MWCLS

MB Enthusiast
Car
S320 CDI Perlite Gray Metallic 2005
Evening all, I currently work full time as a estate agent running two very busy offices in Essex.

I have always had a passion for cars and after a brief stint at a main dealer the early part off this year id like to get involved in selling used cars.

So looking at run around type cars. I have a few connections from my stint at the main dealer.

Sourcing cars would be the dealers PX through my connection so the seller would get a better price and my connection would get a thank you and I'd then look to clean the car up ready for resale.

Few things need to do before I make any hasty decisions.

Selling used cars circa £1-2k I know if I setup as a trader i have to give a warranty engine and gearbox which may be problematic when your looking at cars at this price point.

Trade insurance and plates ( are trade plates necessary as a start up? )

My target market well could be any one who wants a winter car for train stn duty to your first time driver.

Hpi potential purchases i would have to do if the dealer isn't taken them px is there a company that can say Hpi 20 cars no time limits for a fixed fee?

It's just a small idea that popped into my head today. Not all cars are going to be banger money going through a main dealer as potential px im going to have to think of other sourcing avenues.

Has anyone tried this on here before as a side line and is willing to share the initial setup costs?

I have storage facility ( my current drive will hold 6 or 7 small hatchbacks plus I have a detached garage )

I'd want to start small and build on that if it was a money maker rather than volume and small yields.
I am looking at buying anything except Merc, bmw, Audi etc to sell on as although they can be sourced cheaply, they are not cheap to fix.

I have a friend who has a MOT garage in East London he is very busy with his own work so I would use him for mot and work and possible repairs, I can't use him to inspect cars before buying. So it's a bit of Russian roulette.

Am I deluded thinking this could be a viable and with hard work make this something worth while?

Any comments , opinions or have tried that before welcome!

Thanks

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom