Severe condensation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pete001

Car
C Class C220 Sport
Hi all,

New to this forum,Im about to buy a c class 220 cdi 2012 model.

The current owner has 2 other fairly new cars so this car is rarely used and parked outside in all weathers.

The problem is all the interior glass has very severe condensation there is also traces of mould on the seats and seat belts the owner tells me thats because the car is used so little,Is this a common fault on the c class where left outside in cold damp weather or could it be a sign of a more serious problem.I really want to buy this car it will be my first Merc.

T I A.

I would be wary of a 2012 car of any marque that condensated. Mould on the seats? Nah.

I would be wary of a 2012 car of any marque that condensated. Mould on the seats? Nah.

Yep mould on the rear seats small patches deffinatly or some type of fungi or something similar.

More serious problem

How serious? BTW there is no sunroof fitted in this car and its also located in your neck of the woods really dissapointed i want to buy this car.

The only time i have seen this was in a car with after market poorly fitted sunroof with about 4 inches of water swishing around in the foot wells.

I would welcome any ideas from other members on where to start looking ??

T I A.

I'd suspect some sort of leak somewhere.
Perhaps the reason they don't use it is that it is so damp.
Most sellers would sort out a problem before selling a car - perhaps they have tried and failed

Condensation means water gettin in where it shouldn't- obvious really. Question is where is it coming from? Lots of possibilities really - mostly bad--- modern cars have lots of sound deadening material/trim /carpets /seats which soak up water like a sponge- leave the car sitting and its slowly evaporated into the interior hence the excessive condensation. Usually due to sprung body seams [accident repair] leaking sunroof, blocked drains etc etc. Problem with modern cars is the proponderance of electronics- lots and lots of little electric connections to get corroded! Think would you buy a laptop computer someone dropped in the bath! - can of worms alert.
ps
with recent events in the news my first thought would be a car that's been involved in one of the many floods round the country.

Avoid it big time, you don't need the hassle. I've seen this before on my wife's Leon. Long story short I had to reseal all four doors and totally seal up the scuttle panel.

Even now it still suffers when we gets extremely heavy rain.

Walk away, that car will have a water leak somewhere - will take an age to find and fix. There should be enough other cars out there for you.

S

Pete, I've got cars that live outside in all weathers. None of them have a 'fault' but condensation at this time of year seems unavoidable.

This is a non C class specific response for attacking condensation.

Obviously check all your door, window, boot seals, and any drainage channels, pipes, and that the windows do in fact fully close.

On my Jag, it is evident that the cold boot is a likely area as the boot seal will have water droplets on it on a cool day.

Habitually at this time of year on a nice sunny day ideally with a bit of wind, I park the cars in the Sun and leave the doors and boot open for an hour or two. It does dry them out. Also drive with a couple of windows cracked open to get fresh air, idem not driving with the recirc' air con on, but set to fresh air.

The mould is actually a sign that the guy is telling the truth about using the car so little. Un-reel the seat belts all the way by hand, likely the part of the belts that always remain on the reels will be damp. Use clothes pegs to keep them fully unwound when you are following the open door drying process above.

My previous off-road RR also required the addition of a mains fan heater to the above to dry it out.

You will of course want to check the correct functioning of the AC and heater matrixes, not forgetting windscreen drain tubes. Any leaks or blockages can induce damp, and also check that the rear parcel shelf vents are clear. Air from the front generally goes out through the back.

Now clean and 'feed' your seats to get rid of the mould/mildew and use the car.

Rich

I wouldn't even bother with it, why give yourself a problem, it wouldn't be a nice welcome into Merc ownership either!

with recent events in the news my first thought would be a car that's been involved in one of the many floods round the country.

That was what I thought of too.

I don't use my car for weeks at a time - it can mist up when first started but certainly doesn't have mould forming.

Main issue I have is the brake discs going rusty.

Why didn't this chap clean it all up before hand, a 2012 model should not have a problem, my car 2013 never gets any condensation, make him a silly offer due to the mould

Steer well clear -there are plenty of good cars out there.

sounds like this could have been caught in a flood as like next door chap chrysler 300 it filled with river water and he didnt do nothing, every time he comes home the car is full condensation so my advise is to look for another

my wife's minicountry also has the condensation in the back seats. it is 11 reg. I would say in such poor weather it is not surprise to see the condensation if the car has been driven regularly.

Very big thankyou to all above for the helpful replies would have been my first Merc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom