Severe Trauma & Recovery Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bruce I know what you mean,we had a few hours to kill in Southampton and after wandering around the centre swmbo spots a sign saying IKEA,I pleaded please lets just have another cup of coffee,but no after a short walk and we are in a muti story car park,you enter the place at the top,then as you have guessed it is downhill all the way,these places scare me,something comes over normally sane people that are like zombie's they walk in the same direction following the signs,passing yards of rubbish articles after 30 mins I want out but it is like Hampton Court Maze you have little option but to follow along past kitchens I would not fit in a caravan,we escaped having only bought some trivets ,that is the very last time I am going into IKEA.

Bruce I know what you mean,we had a few hours to kill in Southampton and after wandering around the centre swmbo spots a sign saying IKEA,I pleaded please lets just have another cup of coffee,but no after a short walk and we are in a muti story car park,you enter the place at the top,then as you have guessed it is downhill all the way,these places scare me,something comes over normally sane people that are like zombie's they walk in the same direction following the signs,passing yards of rubbish articles after 30 mins I want out but it is like Hampton Court Maze you have little option but to follow along past kitchens I would not fit in a caravan,we escaped having only bought some trivets ,that is the very last time I am going into IKEA.

Are their kitchens really that bad?

Are their kitchens really that bad?
No. - They're reasonably cheap (you can get similar for less), and they fit with the other components. Unlike some of their other products the kitchen units are standard sizes, so should work with stoves and dishwashers bought elsewhere.

My one IKEA tip/trick is to periodically turn around and face the wrong way. - That way you can see where the short-cuts are and skip vast chunks of the store... wife willing of course.

Being one of those 'other halves' you mention, I'd like to relate my one and only experience of IKEA in Warrington, the nearest to us until one opens in Preston (I dread that).

Not quite sure what year this was, but must be before 2004 as I was driving my RAV4. Went to IKEA, parked up,went in to get a specific item: a computer desk that would perfectly fit in our tiny home office. Stood in a huge queue (it was Boxing Day). Paid and left the store. After over an hour searching for my car and nearly in tears, I suddenly realised I had exited on a different side of the store.

I have never returned. Computer desk still in office.

Still in Warrington, we needed led bulbs, literally they are placed 50 yards from the tills, to get to them you need to walk half a mile, please someone, explain the logic of turning customers away from further visits.

I sold my Toyota Amazon after they announced the Ikea in Reading, leaving only 2 small hatchbacks and the SL on the drive. That has seriously dented the purchasing abilities. :thumb:

No. - They're reasonably cheap (you can get similar for less), and they fit with the other components. Unlike some of their other products the kitchen units are standard sizes, so should work with stoves and dishwashers bought elsewhere.

My one IKEA tip/trick is to periodically turn around and face the wrong way. - That way you can see where the short-cuts are and skip vast chunks of the store... wife willing of course.

I agree, I was asking because I was worried our 12 year old Ikea kitchen was going to suddenly start falling apart. It has proved faultless...unlike, say, a 12 year old Mercedes.

Last edited:
Kitchen fitters don't like them because there is no gap buit in behind the carcass, they fit flush to to wall so that there is no room for pipes etc.

Yep...but I put the pipes under the units.

Our freestanding IKEA units have been in 2 apartments in Germany and we still have them after 9 years in this house.15 years total. Gas struts knackered on cupboards but otherwise brilliant. Mrs 203 and I have massive fallouts whenever in IKEA. It always occurs when having managed to avoid buying anything on the main route I up the pace through the bit where all the dust collecting stuff is that stinks and the Vläd (the impaler) knives are just before the curtains that are 18 feet long and your thinking, ne praying, please don't want em cos A, We'll 'need' another friggin dönsk curtain pole with totally shīte brackets that the grub screws trying to keep the pole in place will surrender the first time my missus closes the curtains using an immeasurable amount of force, (just think of someone playing swingball), and B, It will mean trying to get into MY shed to find tools that are under the 400 tonnes of shïte including stools, wânnk storage containers, tea lights, boxes of wooden drawers and other wooden boxes and all the rest of the stuff that's no longer welcome in the house that was purchased from the last visits to that place of hell in Bristol. Finally can't someone get them to make curtains that are shorter??? Oh and don't put your Poäng chair covers in the wash as they absolutely smell minging afterwards!

Last edited:
I still think that there is something eerie about being caught up in such a mass of people who are all moving in the same direction, as if as one. It's like being in an old silent movie.

I did see a child attempting to walk the "wrong way". I have no idea if she survived or was ever seen again.

The Cafe routine (or lack off) was clearly segregated into two camps:

1) Those who had been before and knew what the drill was.
2) (us - the majority) First visit and were totally confused.

Result = Pandemonium as people just collided with each other, like in a bizarre game of human pin-ball. Should somebody shout FIRE, it would be terrifying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom