Sh!t...Problem with Brake Disc retaining screw &#$^&#

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

golden1245

Car
1999 C230K Sport
so you guys may have remembered my problem 2 weeks ago with the brake caliper mount bolts. Well those got taken off with no problem with some high quality penetrating oil and a breaker bar.

Now I have a problem with the disc retaining screw, this is little bugger has proven to be an extreme pain in the ass, mostly due to my fault as you can see here:

7081120383_dd9163e8d7_b.jpg

A low quality hex bit broke right off, even though I soaked the screw with penetration fluid. Father came out and asked...why didn't you ask me to use my high quality bits instead of that piece of crap 5 in 1 hex bit set you have that's made in China?

So he and I have been trying to get it back out, which is just a small portion really but we're having some trouble. We tried drilling it to "destroy" it but the metal bits we have dull very quickly. We did have some success loosening it though, right now it's just just moving around inside.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for reading.

Do you have a welder??

Difficult to see but could you get the "better hex bit" in now and shock it free with an impact screwdriver ? Failing that a bit of heat to warm the disc then some freezer spray applied directly to the screw and an angled tap with a punch in the " undoing direction" direction. Next step ---spot weld an old allen key or bolt head in place. One governing principle to remember in any approach is the screw is " expendable"

Last edited:
Have you sprayed the inside of the disc/bolt thread with WD40 or similar. Get a centre punch and knock the bolt around with that and a hammer :thumb:

I have used a torx bit that fits tight (needs a light tap with a hammer) as the star shape bites into the angles.

no i don't have a welder.

I've sprayed the inside with penetrating fulid/wd40, that's what got it to be more loose.

I'm not sure what a center punch is, i'll look that up

Give it a hard belt with a big hammer before trying to undo it.

hmm i think some of you guys might have misunderstood, my problem right now is the "head" of a cheap hex bit is stuck inside the hole of the screw and I can't fit anything else in there until I get it out.

i'm confident if I use my dad's higher quality hex bits, the screw itself will come out. Right now we're having trouble getting the old broken bit back out.

Put a centre punch on the face of the screw head near the edge and tap it round with a hammer and the screw should undo.
Alternatively grind a slot into the screw head and use a screwdriver to undo it, or just grind the head right off as the disk is being replaced anyway.

Last edited:
thanks for all the advice guys! Almost there!

7081407127_2d196793e0_b.jpg

FINALLY, we got the old bit out with a Carbide drill tip that is extremely strong and a center punch.

New discs are on and the old screw is still very usable!

6935309842_817bab1f26_z.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom