sh*tty day at work - how to unwind?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Big bar of dairy milk and a j arther rank. Does the trick every time ;-)

get yourself one of these instant stress relief, my mate has one at his place and always have a quick boxing match with it. (only ever lost once to it lol)

Nice,

K

the one my mate's got has LEDs on it which you have to punch (hard depending on strength level) when they come on it even taunts you lol

Had a sh*****ite day at the office - people rubbing me up the wrong way, making life difficult because they can't do their own jobs properly. How do you unwind after that?!

Personally I drove the Merc in anger for the first time (not being irresponsible or driving as if I was in a BMW... but gave it some beans on the dual carriageway) and have opened a bottle of vino (after safely parking the car up, I might add...). Can't help thinking there must be better ways to unwind than driving the car fast and turning to booze:crazy:

A fine single malt (preferably from Islay) combined with cheese toastie drizzled with cracked black pepper ; followed by another single malt ; followed by ano...............

Oatcakes with a strong, coarse pate also works well if you don't fancy the toast and cheese

Meditation works for me, not that I get too stressed being a benefit scrounger. :rolleyes:

Had a sh*****ite day at the office - people rubbing me up the wrong way, making life difficult because they can't do their own jobs properly. How do you unwind after that?!

Stop, check, let go!

you need to learn the way to think. Whatever faults they have, they are not yours and nor are the problems. Don't take ownership of them!

you also need to learn how the close the door and leave work at work.

Once you get this, you will walk to your car, and you will feel the break between work and the rest of your life. One of the things I seem to do, although I don't know if it is related, is to draw up tommorrows list of things to do before I leave. Maybe my mind at this point offloads any thoughts of work as it knows it has a rest until we meet again!

But you do need to Stop. do nothing for few moments.

check. are these your problems (which means you can deal with them so no problem) or someone elses? ie, not yours. have a really good think and try to apply the reality of the situation and who is responsible for what. And try to rationalise the problem with a bigger picture issue to gain some perspective. Are you talking about saving lives? no! so just how important is it really. Of course if you are saving lives........at what point does anything else matter?

let go, . leave it in your office, work place, whatever. it is not your life, it is just your work. 168hrs in a week, you don't work all of them. start calling it the life- work balance, so you get the important things thought of first.

I think I picked that up from some stree training, but I seem to have adapted it.

perhaps additionally, try to find the good in everything. always look for a positive to find out what is beneficial and what you can take away from things rather than the opposite. Look forward to going home. have a plan of the things you are going to do. write a list.

takes time, will power, discipline, and you need to buy in to the concept.

works a treat for those of us who have.:thumb:

or as Pontoneer said.................. just don't limit it to Islay (some of which a peaty). Highland park is pretty good and always seems to be discounted at the moment. Buy a book on whisky and whiskeys.....plan a whisky trail holiday around the world.....one day I will do that.

Last edited:
Maybe look again at this youtube video to remind yourself how insignificant your work colleagues are?

Making love to a beautiful woman.

I have the beautiful woman, it's the loving I'm shorter than I'd like on!! :D

swiss.jpg

Making love to a beautiful woman.

I have the beautiful woman, it's the loving I'm shorter than I'd like on!! :D

swiss.jpg

Indeed :D can't believe it took this long to come up..

And then of course there is the resultant children.

win win :)

Ade

Detach. Detach. Detach.

A bad day at work for me is someone dying in front of me, regardless what I do. This is worse during the night, when you might then have a period of time afterwards in which you can reflect/chew over/question yourself, which isn't always the best way or time to do this.

The one thing this job has told me is this: life is just too short to worry or get wound up by anything or anyone. Whooosh, let it go over your head.

The only two rules in life you need:

1/ Don't sweat the small stuff.
2/ Everything is small stuff.

a good hifi turned up loud,takes you away from this planet for a while (mine was approx £11k a few years ago)

Last edited:
A 190D 2.0 and some Pink Floyd if I'm stressed. If I've got pent up whatever,a Suzuki RF900 and Megadeath...

Leaving the office and starting the car followed by looking at the star and turning up the HK audio system and just relaxing :)

cleansed and relaxed by the time i reach my driveway :)

At least you have a job.
I have been looking for something suitable since last July.
Getting semi-desperate now and am starting to seriously consider jobs outside my comfort zone.

Its very easy to forget a basic truth.........
"There's always someone worse off than you".

Just be grateful for what you've got.
Easier said than done I know - but at least you can afford to run a Merc and a nice bottle of vino collapso.

Last edited:
At least you have a job.
Getting semi-desperate now and am starting to seriously consider jobs outside my comfort zone.

Easier said than done I know - but at least you can afford to run a Merc and a nice bottle of vino collapso.

Sorry to hear things are not going so well for you mate.

Quite right to look outside "your comfort zone". Yopu'll have heaps of transferrible skills and experience and its about making sure a potential employer knows you have them

At least you have a job.

I went through redundancy last year - it knocked me sideways so I know what it's like. I took on interim work whilst waiting for the right permanent opportunity to come up - which took another 10 months... it was a very difficult year for me and even though working life is tough, I know there are others out there having a tougher time.

All it takes is for that one door to open, for you to speak to the right person, or for the CV to land on the right desk, and it can make all the difference. The only thing to do is to keep plugging away at it - easier said than done I know - and you will get there. I also believe that staying in work and taking something outside your comfort zone is probably a good idea for the sanity, at least in the short term until the right job comes along.

After a rough day at work I like to dwell on it, ruminate, let it fester, drink excessively, take it out on my family, make lists of people who should die, decamp to bed, toss and turn whilst thinking I have another busy day tomorrow, then wake up at 4:15. I fail to get back to sleep for the next 2 hours, whilst I consider whether the belly cramps I have may be evidence of cancer. Between 6:15 and 6:45 I have idyllic sleep, and wake up completely knackered.

Sp!ke has to put up with me at work the next day.:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom