Shake, Rattle & Roll

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by brucemillar, Apr 11, 2014.

1. brucemillar

brucemillar MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
    This may help somebody.

On my C55 Estate, I started to get a bad vibration at 55mph. You could not drive through it!! Off to the local wheel balancing people. All wheels checked out nicely. Still the same issue. Problem was getting worse when under load (vibration was more like a shake) and going up hill was not pleasant at all for my teeth fillings.

Prop Shaft Flex Disc (Donut) had started to break up. New disc from ECP - which had to come from FEBI. Fitted by Wright Tec yesterday. Job done no more vibration.

When the old disc came out it pretty much fell apart.

So if you have a vibration coming from under your seat that gets worse under load - check out the flex disc.

2. ray_hennig

ray_hennig Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    MB 300CE-24 Sportline
    Blimey and yours is a fairly recent car. My 300CE is 23 years old with nearly 400k Kms and still has the original flex discs.

Should I be shaking?

RayH

3. OP
    OP
    brucemillar

brucemillar MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
    I am thinking it might be all those torques going down the roundy shifty thingy.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

4. rorf

rorf Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2000 SL320 v6, 2001 CLK320
    C55 has a hell of alot more power and torque then the lowly 300:rolleyes:

Lucky you got it in time as when these things fail the damage is horrendous. The front flexi disc takes most of the punishment - but both of them are maintenance items along with the centre bearing and holder.

5. EuroCarParts

EuroCarParts Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    European
    I must say, i think this is the best technical explanation i've seen in my life :bannana: :thumb:

Glad its sorted Bruce! its surprising how important a small donut disc actually is!

I think we've started stocking this part now after the delay from FEBI, so if any other C55 members face the same issue, it should be a quick fix :thumb:

Pat

1 person likes this.
Tags: