shakey ride at 60mph

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
hi

sorry this isnt a merc its my mother-in-laws Mitsubishi Space Wagon....

the car feels great when traveling under 60mph with wheel tracking and balancing just been done and is true. tyres are ok afaik.

the problem is that when travelling over 60mph the ride gets very rough and sort of bumpy/shaky, although the steeringwheel is not rattelly, just the feel from the wheels on both front sides of the car.

any ideas? She has just purhcased the car so has no real idea on its previous life apart from it has full service history & is an import from sigapore.

thanks

derek

get the wheels rebalanced first before doing biggerstuff.........

R2D2 said:
get the wheels rebalanced first before doing biggerstuff.........

the wheels have just been rebalanced and it still does it. :crazy: :rolleyes:

I know this sounds totally stupid, but are you sure the wheels are ok? That sounds exactly like the symptom of unbalances wheels. This could be due to balancing/tracking, putting an unbalanced spare tyre, normal wear and tear, and different tyres amongst other things. How recently was the tracking and balancing done? Was it done on all 5 wheels? Has the car been off road since? Have any tyres been changed?
Spinal

Edit: woops, seems in the time i was typing this you already answered....

Last edited:
Sorry to say this. But I had a beemer E36 328i cabrio. Crashed it quite severely but fixed it cux it was just uneconomical to send it to the scrappies... anyway. the car got back to me... and had the same symptoms as you mentioned... great ride under 60mph, but over that the car gets shaky... sold it right away...
however i really hope your mother inlaw's space wagon isn't suffering from this problem as I personally feel it is rather unsafe to use a car that had been severely crashed before..

good luck
jeff

Try the drive shaft joints, they couse the symptoms you discribe.

Where has my sig gone? :devil:

apparently it was fixed today by a garage... they replaced some bushes for approx £40 in total.

SilverSaloon said:
apparently it was fixed today by a garage... they replaced some bushes for approx £40 in total.

still happens.....

hi

I have a 1999 Mitsubishi SPACEWAGON. (actually a CHARIOT as it is an import)

problem is:

when riding at over 60mph the ride gets very bumpy at the front (thru the front wheels), and there seems to be a loss of power. You can feel this through your feet on the floor but not thru the wheel.

does anyone have any ideas what it could be?

i have had the wheels balanced & the tracking done, but it still happens.

thanks in advance!

derek

Have you had the tracking checked?

Sorry read your last properly. Yes you have.

Has a kerb been hit with force could be a buckled wheel?

Try changing the spare around both sides see if it still happens then

unfortunatly the spare is one of those space saving ones so probably would cause problems of its own at that speed?

i have no idea if it has hit the curb - all the 4 wheels on the car have been balanced

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom