Shaking steering wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SSBB

Car
E320cdi Avantgard Estate
My steering wheel shakes at about 70mph and the car pulls gently to the left, I thought it was the tracking so I had this done at HiQ, but the problem is still there. If I go up to 90mph the car goes nice and smooth...no problems, so I thought it may be the wheel balancing...had that done, and its still there.
The car had a new steering damper fitted by Merc two years ago, and I had new balljoints (MOT advisory) fitted by an indie about two months ago...strangly, I only noticed the problem after the balljoints were replaced but the mechanic says this has nothing to do with the steering and is a suspension item.
Any help please before I have to get the credit card out:confused:

My steering wheel shakes at about 70mph and the car pulls gently to the left, I thought it was the tracking so I had this done at HiQ, but the problem is still there. If I go up to 90mph the car goes nice and smooth...no problems, so I thought it may be the wheel balancing...had that done, and its still there.
The car had a new steering damper fitted by Merc two years ago, and I had new balljoints (MOT advisory) fitted by an indie about two months ago...strangly, I only noticed the problem after the balljoints were replaced but the mechanic says this has nothing to do with the steering and is a suspension item.
Any help please before I have to get the credit card out:confused:

The fact that you drive into the shake and that you can drive out of it shows that it is a wheel balance problem and nothing else

When I've had this problem in the past it was tyres. Either a lump appearing in a sidewall or the tread. Found it by taking the wheels off one by one and rolling them up and down my drive. Once I'd found the offending tyre I could actually feel it by running my hand around the tyre when it was back on the car. Solution was a new tyre to replace the one that had gone out of shape.
Ron

Thanks, Im going to have new tyres fitted and balanced, the old ones are not done yet but theyre worn enough to justify the experiment.

Yup this had happened to myself also its deffinatly a tyre problem. When getting the new tyres balanced be shure to tell the people to fit stick on weights on the inside of the alloy to avoid and damage to the edge of the alloy

get the rear wheels balanced .. I had a similar problem a while ago, it would vibrate at around 60mph only, speeds above and below just fine. Turned out that the rears were out, and apparently that can cause the front to vibrate.

I'd go for out of round tyre. place both palms on the top of the tyre and run them round to the bottom. Any odd shapes will be felt.

When you can drive through the vibration it is usually wheel balancing that is the problem, but could be a problem tyre.

As a rule of thumb, if the vibration on the steering wheel is side-to-side it is front wheel balancing. If the vibration on the steering wheel is front-to-back (in and out of the dash), then it is a rear wheel balancing problem.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom