Shall I replace this Tyre?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dad4geer

Car
W204 C180 AMG Sport
Hello all, I was driving through a narrow road where an oncoming vehicle drove past very near to me.. so to avoid any collision I swerved towards left causing my front passenger wheel to hit the curb in speed..the tyre overall is fine but there is this small piece of rubber which is now coming off.. I was thinking of using a super glue and stick it back as overall the tyre is still safe and in good condition...What do you guys suggest? shall I keep it or buy a new one..

Attachments

• IMG_1848.JPG
    IMG_1848.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1849.JPG
    IMG_1849.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 149
Mot fail is cords showing. Id leave it tbh.as its just the curb protector. Saying that whats a new tyre £60.

Thanks guys.. I will see how it goes for next few days and if needed will get them replaced..

I just ran a quote for a front pair and it is coming out around £172 for GoodYear F1 Asy5.
I have GoodYears Asy3 in the back which I changed two years back so will keep same brand if I go for new tyres.

Thats just the rim protector, designed to take some impact away from the wheel. You can get tyre glue and neaten it up. Just make sure no cords are showing else they will need changing

Radial-tyre-construction.jpg

You may have damaged the underlying tyre carcass if you hit the kerb at speed-there's no way of knowing. The chances of failure are small but if one your front tyres was to blow out at speed the consequences could be massive.

Your tyres are the only things connecting you to the road. None of us like to spend money unnecessarily, but your life and the life of others are necessary. Forget about talk of MoT failure, your tyres need attention long before getting to that stage.

The missus did similar damage to a tyre and oddly it’s the only thing I’ve successfully managed to super glue other than my fingers. That was over three months ago and it’s still holding.

You may have weakened the internal ply cords making them more prone to breakage. No way of knowing without sectioning the tye (a fracture of these cords would cause a bulge).
Personally, I'd replace.

Well pull the piece back carefully and see if you can see chords, if not the rim protector has done its job and glue it with some sort of impact adhesive, if you can see the chords its junk

^^^
@Wolfie1 So music to your ears if you don't see the cords....:)

@dad4geer Is there really any question ? New tyre. Why take the chance?

People want to drive a MB and then penny pinch on consumables.:wallbash:

^^^
@Wolfie1 So music to your ears if you don't see the cords....:)

@dad4geer Is there really any question ? New tyre. Why take the chance?

People want to drive a MB and then penny pinch on consumables.:wallbash:

but its not penny pinching, there is nothing wrong with it, (unless the chords are showing or its got a bulge) problem is folks that dont know giving inaccurate advice and then they go somewhere like kwik fit or the likes and of course they are going to say it needs replaced because all they want is to be another £200 closer to the days target, i would never dream giving someone advice on stocks and shares, people management, it stuff, balancing books etc etc as i dont know enough about it, but the motor trade is different folks think this car fixing malarky is easy and they are all experts and all the grease monkeys are stupid as even they can do it. It has always been this way and it always will, vehicles nowadays are some of the most complex things going about but yet the attitude towards the folk that fix them will never change. This is not meant in any way whatsoever to put anyones nose out of joint, just a fact

My point is, if it is safety related (tyres always are), why take a chance?

If the OP contacted the manufacturer or any tyre dealer with pictures of that tyre, we all know what the recommendation would be. One could argue that it is moneymaking but for my safety and other road users I'd rather replace it. If the rubber was glued and an insurance adjustor spotted it, it would probably invalidate his (op's)insurance, even if the faulty wheel was not the cause of the accident.

From now on I shall put new tyres on every day, I pity you muppets driving on part worn tyres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom