Shall Optimax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vlad

MB Enthusiast
Car
Various Mercs come and go
Question; Am I being a mug if I purchase Shell Optimax instead of normal unleaded?

I've read the marketing blurb on Shell Optimax and it seems pretty convincing...........can anybody make the case for Shell Optimax?.....does it increase MPG?

Go on convince me!!!!

Cheers

Vlad

A number of us use it.

Not sure if anyone is convinced about mpg, but a lot of us reckon the engine feels sweeter and more responsive...

which often leads to more right foot and less mpg...:)

Try it. Buggered if I could tell any difference whatsoever, others swear buy it and some have had their cars tuned so that they can only use the stuff (cough, GD, cough).

On long motorway trips it seemed to give me better MPG than 'standard' fuel. However arround town and performance wise it's difficult to tell.
Also seems to run smoother - however my car seems to run better after it's been washed and cleaned, so I suspect it's all in my mind :p

I get better fuel consumption with Optimax. It effectively costs me the same as using regular stuff - at least that's what my XL spreadsheet tells me (yes i'm very sad). I don't reckon I get better performance - need to get a cupholder! :p

Do a search on Optimax on this forum you will find a lengthy debate about its pro's and con's

Hi,

I would say that GDC200 is spot on, I know of two people at work with good size ( 2.3 + ) but old engines that claim Optimax has shown a massive difference in power and refinement.

Unfortunataely for me there is not a Shell gararge anywhere near me or my place of work, Esso will have to do.

All the best,
Michael.

I have to use Super unleaded anyway, so price wise Optimax is normally equal or better! it does feel a little more responsive, and i get shell plus points woo hoo!

Well it seems to work well for me in the TVR, but I must admit I put the cheaper stuff in the Merc!!!! I hope that this doesn't upset anyone as i will not put Sainsbury's petrol in the Merc that only goes in the Golf.

Originally posted by crimsonking500
Well it seems to work well for me in the TVR, but I must admit I put the cheaper stuff in the Merc!!!! I hope that this doesn't upset anyone as i will not put Sainsbury's petrol in the Merc that only goes in the Golf.

LOL. Proper ranking. I see you must try your best not to upset the TVR into requiring any additional trips to the garage (for repair) :p

Does supermarket petrol really differ to your Esso or Total etc??

Tesco's is cheapest near me, but I never notice any running differences. Proabably would use Optimax for the sake of it, but so rarely pass a Shell station it's not worth it.

I'm sure with my style of driving (pedal on floor for go), I really would tell a difference, I 'm amazed (maybe jealous) you guys speak of feeling the benefit.

Is there any difference where you buy diesel? Supermarket vs Shell? I used to always use Optimax but now I've switched to diesel I've just bought it where ever is convenient.

Originally posted by RichardM
Is there any difference where you buy diesel? Supermarket vs Shell? I used to always use Optimax but now I've switched to diesel I've just bought it where ever is convenient.

Years ago I ran a Discovery TD, my dad had a Range Rover TD and we had a Defender TD runabout. We swore there was a difference between supermarkets and 'proper' garages diesel. They went better, faster and more MPG on the good stuff. Texaco used to be the best then Esso. We did buy 600 gallons at a time for a while and could specify which grade we wanted, basically with or without the additives.

This was about 6-7 years ago and to be honest I have tried tesco, texaco, esso and BP with the Vito and my current C250 and have not noticed any difference.

I'm not up on this debate. How does Shell Optimax differ from other petrol?

Its got a higher octane level

And has more in the way of cleaning agents and better burn characteristics, hence bigger and better bangs for your bucks...apparently

Vlad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom