Shareholder Perks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Meldrew2

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mine: BMW X4 2.0d M-Sport (Red) Hers: BMW X1 2.0d M-Sport (Black) Sorry about that...
I have CCL shares, and each time I cruise with P&O, Cunard, Princess and a few other lines, I get complimentary on-board spending money. As I cruise regularly, this is quite valuable to me - representing another 4-5% return.

Are there any other companies out there that give their shareholders decent perks?

Maybe an airline that gives their shareholders extra miles or even upgraded seats? (I know that BA don't)

Last edited:
Ask nick mercedes, I am sure he will know!:D

Marstons - 500 shares gets you a Priviledge Card that gives 20% off food and accommodation at their participating inns. We use ours quite a lot, their food is normally excellent and good value, but 20% off helps! They also pay a decent dividend.

IIRC there's somewhere on the Hargreaves Lansdown website that shows shareholder priviledges.

Marstons - 500 shares gets you a Priviledge Card that gives 20% off food and accommodation at their participating inns. We use ours quite a lot, their food is normally excellent and good value, but 20% off helps! They also pay a decent dividend.

That seems a really good deal - thanks - but it seems that they don't seem to have much in the North West where we live.

Dividend looks good though, and we might make good use of the accommodation (and food while staying) when we are travelling.

:thumb:

Whitbread give us pay for Saturday get Sunday free at Premier Inn. Also 10% off their food and drink establishments. Oh and a £5 Costa coffee voucher.

Great Dividends. And have had great capital growth with very good distribution of sale proceeds.

In a few years time I'm looking to invest a pot of possibly around £500k into shares which offer around 5% dividend. Any growth in the shares value would be a bonus as would be shareholder perks. So following this thread with interest:thumb:

Whilst not exactly on topic specifically (no perks presently) if you're looking for a good long termer with lots of potential upside but not without risk then take a look at Sirius Minerals LON:SXX anyone residing in North Yorkshire will know exactly who this is so it won't need an introduction. It's just upgraded from AIM to the main exchange. I bought into this in November last year.

Piff with £500K you'll want to spread that about if you're self investing. I'd park £50K in Premium bonds simply because it's risk free, then find around 9 other investments for about £50K apiece or thereabouts depending on your personal risk limit.

I sold the last banking sector shares I held on Friday (Douche Bank of all things!) and I'm trying to decide where to put it all now. We're in historically one of the largest asset bubbles in History. Many stock are currently overvalued particularly the American Markets and I've got cold feet with anything connected to the financial industry. I don't think they learned a thing 10 years ago and the merry go round is likely to go pop again.

So other than Sirius I have a couple of speculative miners/fossil fuel exploration companies both on AIM for small amounts that will either go bust or have huge upsides (effectively bets rather than investments). The rest I'm parking in a Gold ETF until I figure out what to do. I'm looking for capital gain rather than income though.

EDIT:- All that said, never trust investment "advice" from some random chap on the interweb. DYOR:thumb:

Last edited:
As ever, when an overvalued market bombs, gold is the traditional refuge.

This advice is worth every penny you paid for it.

My advice? Never invest in a product you don't understand.

Anyway retailer benefits: if you have deep pockets Next will offer you an annual 25% off voucher (bought a 3 piece suite for the lounge once) if you hold 100 shares (it used to be 500 till recently!). Thomas Cook used to offer 10% too for shareholders, but I have never tried it so can't confirm if it's still current. However if you fancy a free lunch Mitchell's and Butlers offer a nice little voucher booklet for 20% off. I don't think there is a minimum holding.

Mitchells & Butlers - Investors - Shareholder information - FAQs

I have been investing in Barratt andDavid Wilson Showhomes. Buy the showhome fully furnished with all the upgrades which usually amount to about £50k for approx £15k over the standard home. Last one I bought had £98k of extras which only cost me £10k. They will pay you 6% on a 2 or 3 year lease back, pay all the expenses, insurance etc then hand back as new at the end of the lease.

House will have increased in value over the term and you have earned a nice income in the meantime.

What's not to like.

Last edited:
I have been investing in Barratt andDavid Wilson Showhomes. Buy the showhome fully furnished with all the upgrades which usually amount to about £50k for approx £15k over the standard home. Last one I bought had £98k of extras which only cost me £10k. They will pay you 6% on a 2 or 3 year lease back, pay all the expenses, insurance etc then hand back as new at the end of the lease.

House will have increased in value over the term and you have earned a nice income in the meantime.

What's not to like.

I'm not sure what your neck of the woods is like but around here (Surrey, Kent, Sussex border) house prices are tanking. They peaked in about December.

We've sold and were in the process of moving but we had to pull out from the property we were buying due to severe planning issues that have made the property unsalable.

Our agent is bracing himself for a very quiet summer and is waiting to see what happens. He's now regularly getting offers of 10% to 20% below asking and some are now starting to accept.

I know the South East is a law unto itself with property, but around here it's not healthy, to a degree that we've decided to stay put and see what happens.

I think we'll see another 12 months of stagnation then as we approach BREXIT people will realise that there's no hope of unilateral agreement with all members. Spain won't agree to anything unless we hand back Gibralter and the French chap is very pro Europe and anti Brexit and will likely want the UK to pay a punitive sum to leave which won't happen - result = Hard Brexit and unknowns in the financial world. The Financial world doesn't like unknowns (well the traders do it creates opportunities).

Right now if I were heavily invested in physical property I'd be selling what I could and converting it to cash. That's what one of the single biggest UK property owners is currently doing - The Grosvenor Group (The Duke of Westminster) he's openly selling off as he expects a sharp and substantial correction. Seems like a good call to me but we'll only know in hindsight as always.

Last edited:
Certainly quietly crashing in SW London / NE Surry

I'm not sure what your neck of the woods is like but around here (Surrey, Kent, Sussex border) house prices are tanking.

Certainly "quietly crashing" (also known as "correcting") in South West London / North East Surrey.

Osbourne's tax grab on Stamp Duty, and Buy To Let has transformed the market, and the new extraordinarily generous ISA rules have "thankfully" made Buy To Let far less attractive, so that people are slowly backing out of their dozy Buy To Let "Pension" savings. It's not an immediate price adjustment, it'll take a few years to work through, but its real enough - at least until a different set of clowns fiddle with the tax rules again.

On the share investment side, investing in shares that you have a legal insider information about is fine.... (i.e. buying something you really know about)

But if you want to achieve a post-tax 6+ % return over the long term, a tracker fund in an ISA wrapper is the only way to go. It's the only way to spread the risk. And the administration and tax returns are hugely simplified.

Last edited:
Certainly "quietly crashing" (also known as "correcting") in South West London / North East Surrey.

Osbourne's tax grab on Stamp Duty, and Buy To Let has transformed the market, and the new extraordinarily generous ISA rules have "thankfully" made Buy To Let far less attractive, so that people are slowly backing out of their dozy Buy To Let "Pension" savings. It's not an immediate price adjustment, it'll take a few years to work through, but its real enough - at least until a different set of clowns fiddle with the tax rules again.

On the share investment side, investing in shares that you have a legal insider information about is fine.... (i.e. buying something you really know about)

But if you want to achieve an 6+ % return over the long term, a tracker fund is the only way to go. It's the only way to spread the risk.

It went a bit daft in the Village in which we live between 2014-16, we had house price inflation just short of 65% in 24 months.

We're just outside the M25 (J6) and as property within the M25 and Greater London became unaffordable people moved out, demand rose and house prices rose with it at unsustainable levels.

Nice homes that were £500k - £600k in 2013 are now on the market and the favourite number to ask seems to be £1.25m. The odd thing is that property that was genuinely £1m in 2013 hasn't risen by the same degree so there are some oddities now on the market as the glass ceiling of borrowing has been hit.

Lets see what happens. I'm after finding our forever home rather than a bit of speculation so I'm all for a correction.

It went a bit daft in the Village in which we live between 2014-16, we had house price inflation just short of 65% in 24 months.

We're just outside the M25 (J6) and as property within the M25 and Greater London became unaffordable people moved out, demand rose and house prices rose with it at unsustainable levels.

Nice homes that were £500k - £600k in 2013 are now on the market and the favourite number to ask seems to be £1.25m. The odd thing is that property that was genuinely £1m in 2013 hasn't risen by the same degree so there are some oddities now on the market as the glass ceiling of borrowing has been hit.

Lets see what happens. I'm after finding our forever home rather than a bit of speculation so I'm all for a correction.

Ever thought of relocating? I'm currently building a nice house in mid Suffolk

Full details here
Quarter acre plot. Not valued yet but expected to be approaching £600k

Divi returns

In a few years time I'm looking to invest a pot of possibly around £500k into shares which offer around 5% dividend. Any growth in the shares value would be a bonus as would be shareholder perks. So following this thread with interest:thumb:

At the moment you can certainly get 4, 5 or 6 % from the usual suspects , banks, utilities, Oil, GSK, Unilever, and a lot more.
But who is to say that will continue with them all.

As ever there are lots of speculative calls as well, it all depends on your attitude to risk.

In my opinion and I have followed Sirius (which is mentioned) for years and they have blown up and down from 22p; it may be years before anyone makes their fortune there. Do not confuse day trading with investing?

Funds may be the way forward for you as it spreads the risk, but you pay fees.

With 500K you can make your own very sound and steady portfolio with a few speculative choices on the side.
There is lots of info out there and as they say "do your own research".

Good luck,
S88

Ever thought of relocating? I'm currently building a nice house in mid Suffolk

Full details here
Quarter acre plot. Not valued yet but expected to be approaching £600k

I'd love to relocate, but various circumstances require me to be within a 45 minute drive of Biggin Hill.

That gives me a pretty big search radius but I feel we're right at the peak of an enormous asset bubble. As I already own property there's nothing forcing me to move (in so much as I'm not renting which is often seen as money down the drain).

I see a correction, in fact what I'm seeing is the correction has already started. What the unknown is, is how much correction will occur.

Right now prices have reached a point at which lending has maxed out, and the reality is the "value" of any hose is determined by what banks and building societies will lend as opposed to any intrinsic value.

As we've now hit a point at which people can borrow no more - at 1%, HPI has stopped. Therefore there is potential zero upside and as much downside as you care to guess, around here it could be as much as -40%.

So there's little value in strapping myself up with a vast mortgage right now, I may as well sit and see how things pan out, it's very unlikely to get any more expensive.

Last edited:
At the moment you can certainly get 4, 5 or 6 % from the usual suspects , banks, utilities, Oil, GSK, Unilever, and a lot more.
But who is to say that will continue with them all.

As ever there are lots of speculative calls as well, it all depends on your attitude to risk.

In my opinion and I have followed Sirius (which is mentioned) for years and they have blown up and down from 22p; it may be years before anyone makes their fortune there. Do not confuse day trading with investing?

Funds may be the way forward for you as it spreads the risk, but you pay fees.

With 500K you can make your own very sound and steady portfolio with a few speculative choices on the side.
There is lots of info out there and as they say "do your own research".

Good luck,
S88

I'm not a day trader (in the strict meaning of the term) and neither am I a traditional investor what I do is somewhere in between.

I play at this, these aren't serious sums of money. My day job doesn't take up a huge amount of my time, realistically 3-4 hours of an 8 hour day. So I started playing on the stockmarket during the day as I have time to do it whilst I'm in the office (actually to stop me getting bored and do stupid stuff like playing on line poker). I'll never be rich from what I trade but I'll also never go broke if it goes wrong. If I manage to buy a Ferrari with what I've played at trading within 5-6 years then I'd be delighted.

My "pension" is elsewhere and locked away from my daily gambling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom