Shaving brake pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

general patten

Car
S320 limo w140
I have just fitted new disks,pads,calipers to my 1996 e220 MERC.I now have a problem as the brake pads are too thick,and when i put the wheel back on it rubs on the the brake caliper and I can't tighten the wheel up to the disk..so wots the best option,shave brake pads or put wheel spacers on it..if anybody has had this before let me know how u sorted it..thanks

You shouldn't have to "shave" the pads or anything else to get the wheel back on your car.

Have you pressed the brake pedal to get the new pads and pistons to sit properly ? Otherwise it sounds as though you have used incorrect parts or something hasn't been fitted correctly.

You shouldn't have to "shave" the pads or anything else to get the wheel back on your car.

Have you pressed the brake pedal to get the new pads and pistons to sit properly ? Otherwise it sounds as though you have used incorrect parts or something hasn't been fitted correctly.
Ello Scott,I have got all the parts new from euro parts,the caliper is the same as the old one,the disk is the same thickness as the old one.when I took the old pads out they were about 1 mm thick.but the new pads are 19.5 mm thick now.the piston is all the way in on the caliper.so I'm thinking the pads are to thick or a spacer is need.i have DARE wheels on my car,8.5 front 9.5 rear and the car sits about 2.5-3inches off the ground,just a rough guess as the cat rubs on sleeping policemen.lol.its that low

Do either... Putting the spacers on might make it look better aswell...

Id just shave the pads then!!! :)
Yeah..my brother say sell it and get a modern car.lol.i had a 3.0 x type jag and a Audi a4 before my MERC,but I have fallen in love with it and am willing too spend money on it getting it purrrrfect..but I wanna do it right and safely

LOL....your car is different though... Id stick with it...

I dont think sanding down the pads will do any harm, its pretty much what you are doing when you brake anyway!

LOL....your car is different though... Id stick with it...

I dont think sanding down the pads will do any harm, its pretty much what you are doing when you brake anyway!
I went to the mayday run in hastings( motorbike day) and a bloke jumped in the road and said can I take some pics,he then said is it on airbags,I said no its Static,he said cool ride man do u wanna sell it.

Nice car!

Whatever you do to the pads will not change the position of the calipers in relation to the wheels touching it. Something is wrong, as the wheel should never be able to touch the caliper.

Something tells me your new calipers are slightly thicker than the originals, hence fouling the wheels. Can you test the widths of the old and new calipers with something like a g-clamp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom