Shelby Ceramic Coating!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Iddy112

Car
W212 E63 S
The Problem

Had been looking for a DIY ceramic coating, one easy to apply/remove, with good paint enhancement and excellent longevity.

I’m aware some of the big names (Gyeon, Gtechniq) offer DIY equivalents to their more Pro focused ranges.
The problem I always found is most of these either compromise on longevity, are really technique sensitive and/or frequently require application indoors, which unfortunately like many of us, I don’t have.
The possibility of marring the paintwork with these products was daunting and so best avoided. Yet the desire for the longevity of a glass coating remained.

Potentially a Brilliant Answer??

B54EA5C0-61A7-45D1-990E-A09285C4B182.png

Came across the Shelby Ceramic Coating, Voted by Autoexpress as the best ceramic sealant 2021.
Reputed to provide an excellent finish, with easy application, and highly hydrophobic protection, that lasts a number of years!

Originally designed for marine use, the Scotland based production team have transferred their expertise to the motor vehicle sector.
According to the manufacturers instructions: “Apply to a panel at a time using a good quality applicator pad, apply in long straight strokes.
Each panel will take approximately 15 - 20*mins max to cure initially, then simply buff off with a damp cloth to reveal a glass like finish.”

The Verdict

The application process was simple and straight forward, no more difficult than a conventional wax or synthetic sealant.

Using the provided pipette, a few drops on an applicator and applied in long straight lines. I found it cured very quickly - in around 5 or so minutes, so would strongly recommend panel at a time. As it was relatively warm, leaving any longer made it significantly more difficult to remove. Personally found it was easiest using a damp microfibre followed by a clean dry one to buff.

Initial impressions very happy with the appearance, An excellent smooth, glass like and gloss enhancing finish.
Want to avoid exposure to water for as long as i can, so yet to test the beading.
Definitely would say good value for money also, at £34.99 for a 50ml bottle and £49.99 for the 100ml which I opted for.
Manufacture claims a minimum of a single coating on 4-5 family sized cars from the 100ml.
Think i got a little excited and managed to use around a third of the bottle, but can’t see it being too difficult to achieve if used more economically.

From early impressions Definitely impressed and would highly recommend.
Water beading and durability to be reported in good time.

Here are some links:
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product-group-tests/354113/best-ceramic-sealants-2021%3famp

AWARD WINNING Shelby Ceramic Coating - Voted The UK's No1 by AutoExpre

And a few pics of the results:

6033BB08-E844-45C6-925E-FADEE74FC47B.jpeg
8EC43E9B-C026-4C1C-8E52-EC6BBAE61DA7.jpeg00038A5F-7ACB-40C3-9730-AC73D9F8E626.jpegF69CF68C-D7DC-46A1-8759-0904855A2CD1.jpeg1A17BD4F-4260-46CF-BFD3-7731196F5FCB.jpeg

Dont think white does it justice in the pics to be honest.
Wash, chemical decon, clay bar, single stage machine polish to remove light swirl marks, chemical guys wipe out and then the coating

Looks lovely, a white car never really shows up but this looks great on it. Anyone use it on black?

Hi, your car looks wonderful ! I would love to know about the longevity, be very grateful if you can stay in touch.

I’ve used the same Shelby product and was very happy. However if you are going to buy this, you will only get good results after a thorough prep.

Wash
Clay bar
Wash again
Polish with to stages. Medium then fine
Wash again
Wax strip
Dry
Then the the ceramic coating

All in you are looking at 2-3 days for excellent results

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom