Shell Drivers Club Points - have you had problems ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

travelininstyle

Car
C-Class Sports Coupe AMG 220 Cdi
Our local Garage recently converted from a Shell Forecourt to a Texaco Forecourt.Prior to this I collected fuel points on my Shell Drivers Club Card - to be honest,I was never over enthusiastic about the points - they seemed mean - but the Garage offered its own 3p/4p off a litre coupons so I did not mind and as such,it was on a par with the cheapest local supermarket.

When the Garage converted to Texaco,I was left with some points on my Shell Card,not enough to redeem. I stuck with Texaco,as the prices were keen - but I was contacted by Shell by email offering triple points on Nitro Diesel. I do not usually fill up with this - but as I needed 50 litres of fuel - we are talking 50litres x 2 pts x 3 - so an extra 300 points on my card:bannana:
A couple of weeks went by and as the points were not multiplied,I rang Shell and was assured that in a couple of weeks,the points would be multiplied.
:mad: Now,some month plus has gone by and in the interim,I received another offer of an additional 100 points if I filled up with Diesel Nitro - another 50 litres of fuel later and still no bonus points,from either the first offer,or the second - I am very unhappy and will ring them again,but I have lost faith in their so called offers and will now redeem the points I can and stick with Texaco and the 3p/4p off coupon and cut the card up - they can shove their offers - these loyalty cards seem to serve the retailer,not the customer.

Last edited:
Did your card get scanned at the time of purchase?

I find Shell points to be a bit strange in the way they are issued. Mrs Dm uses a lot less fuel than me, but receives double the allocation of points per litre.
I don't really mind as I get a discount on my shell card, then give Mrs Dm the reward vouchers.

For sure,I heard the reader beep each time and the transactions for the triple points offer,are on my Shell Drivers statement,when I logged in - the problem seems to be with Shell - Dieselman - perhaps my points are going to your missus !!!!! - anyway,once again,I will ring them up,just because I am an awkward and principled old @*>>>> - but really - if its that hard to get the damned points registered and multiplied,is it worth it one asks ?

Actually,I have just Googled the problem and on MoneySavingExpert site,it appears to be a common grumble - some have lost £30 - £40 worth of vouchers and we are talking businesses whom fill up with 2000 - 4000 litres of fuel a year - that's decided it - I will redeem what I can and they can shove off at Shell. This is why Aldi and Lidl are wiping the floor with the other main supermarkets - we want cheap everyday prices,not points that take years to accumulate - only decent one we have ever had is the John Lewis Card.

Last edited:
You are not using shell fuel card by any chance?
Reason I am asking, some shell card purchases (e.g. European) are not eligible for points collection.

You are not using shell fuel card by any chance?
Reason I am asking, some shell card purchases (e.g. European) are not eligible for points collection.

Mine collects points, I just can't spend them as I already get money off.

Sometimes it can take a month or two for 'extra' points to be credited.

However, I've pretty much given up with the Shell Drivers Club as the rewards are rubbish. I elected for mine to be converted to Avios air miles. I collect Avios through other means and get a couple of return flights to Europe every year. I reckon it'd be decades before I could go anywhere using just the Shell miles.

I have a shell card and used to have money-off vouchers sent to me.
But about a year or two ago, they just stopped.
I just figured it was because I wasn't buying enough fuel to be eligible for vouchers :dk:

I use the shell card every time I get fuel... but nothing!

I might have to look into this.

I have not had any issues with my Shell Drivers Club card - I swipe it when I fill up, and from time to time a voucher turns-up in the post.

What I did notice, however, is that some of their offers have various stings attached - e.g. expiry date, or minimum purchase, or 'participating garages only' clauses etc - might be worth checking the small print on the offer letter to ensure you complied to the dot.

....I find Shell points to be a bit strange in the way they are issued. Mrs Dm uses a lot less fuel than me, but receives double the allocation of points per litre.

You get double points when filling-up with V-Power Nitro... Mrs DM might be stopping at the wrong pump.... which would also explain why your car 'drives just fine on regular fuel' :D

I used to get fuel vouchers but they have stopped over the past few months!!!! Also my point have been deducted which is not good at all!!! I will email shell to see what's going on.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

I used to get fuel vouchers but they have stopped over the past few months!!!! Also my point have been deducted which is not good at all!!! I will email shell to see what's going on.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

I'm going to do the same.

God damned swindling oil tycoons!
"Pleez sir...You buy fuel.. We give you veddy good price"

Jeeeeee...ssus :doh:

They've always been a nightmare for not applying promotional points. I've long since given up caring, I just accept what I receive by way of credit/vouchers. They're customer services people are a nightmare!

Mine collects points, I just can't spend them as I already get money off.

Mine doesn't collect anything.
'Points cannot be added with this purchase' or something like that, gets printed on each receipt. When I queried this with shell club card, I was told that it is because of other benefits I have on my account :dk:

Considering I pay the fuel pump price isnt exactly a benefit, is it?
Or maybe because I can use my cards at any shell garage in Europe??
Dont know, but it does seem a rip off :(

I wait for the money off vouchers (£9.50 was the last one) - the rest of the email/post stuff is too complicated to put effort into.

I have a shell card and used to have money-off vouchers sent to me.
But about a year or two ago, they just stopped.
I just figured it was because I wasn't buying enough fuel to be eligible for vouchers :dk:

I use the shell card every time I get fuel... but nothing!

I might have to look into this.

Mine have stopped aswell - i phoned and was told i had not reached the enough limit.Bit concerned because previously they failed to add bonus points.
Customer services have been good all the times i have contacted them

"Every quarter receive your rewards (as long as you have the points)"
For every 500 Shell Drivers' Club points you collect you receive £2.50 in Shell fuel vouchers. You'll receive your vouchers automatically every quarter, with your statement."

Many thanks Guys for contributing to this debate,all your comments have been interesting - can I add one my last final thoughts - I think the loyalty card retailers probably get far more out of this than the end user - particularly in spending habits/data gathering. I suspect that we are all better off applying the lowest common denominator in terms of price per litre, as I think points are mean and a swindle,unless you do 20/30k a year,or have several cars in the family - so for my part,I am ditching my card and will stick with a branded fuel that matches Supermarket prices,which is not hard to do.

We use our John Lewis card for big ticket items,TV,ipad,car/house insurance etc and apart from the extended warranty,which is welcome,I get some vouchers at the end of the year,which we use to buy several bottles of wine from Waitrose.

Mine have stopped aswell - i phoned and was told i had not reached the enough limit.Bit concerned because previously they failed to add bonus points.
Customer services have been good all the times i have contacted them

"Every quarter receive your rewards (as long as you have the points)"
For every 500 Shell Drivers' Club points you collect you receive £2.50 in Shell fuel vouchers. You'll receive your vouchers automatically every quarter, with your statement."

Funnily enough, I was doing some reading up on their site earlier.
I have a feeling that I'm not buying enough full during each months to get points.
But I will be ringing them tomorrow to find out if that is the case.
Interestingly, I tried entering my card number and password and it said that my account was not active, or something like that.
Bit concerning.
Maybe they shut down if you don't earn enough points over a certain period or don't use it?
I'll find out tomorrow..

By coincidence I was just checking account while reading this. I asked once about the delay in paper voucher points. It relied on the garage sending in the vouchers which I thought was rubbish. They scan the barcode at the time of transaction so it should happen instantly.
I have been getting a lot if offers on my mobile lately, I wondered if it's because I'm spending quite a bit, £90-100 per week on V power diesel. The conditions state points awarded 30 days after expiry date. Four fit the timescale but no bonus points yet. The card was swiped because the regular points are showing. I think an email is due.

I gave up when I noticed on 2 occasions I had a £5 off voucher, but the £5 was not taken off my transaction. I didn't realize at the time unfortunately, only when checking my bank statement later. This was supposedly credited back to my shell card and I was meant to receive new vouchers, which I never did.
The wife had trouble with her lexus at Shell, it would keep clicking off, and now I have found that my Benz does the same thing. I did relinquish and use them recently again, as they are nearest to home, but as I had a wide variation in my fuel use from one fill up to the next, despite near identical driving circumstances, I have again decided to boycott Shell.

Funnily enough, I was doing some reading up on their site earlier.
I have a feeling that I'm not buying enough full during each months to get points.
But I will be ringing them tomorrow to find out if that is the case.
Interestingly, I tried entering my card number and password and it said that my account was not active, or something like that.
Bit concerning.
Maybe they shut down if you don't earn enough points over a certain period or don't use it?
I'll find out tomorrow..

I had log in fail aswell.The reason was because i also got a £10 for £5 MightyDeals Shell Card.And yet even though i merged it with my existing account i was now told the old details were not valid and that i had to register MD card. to view online account.All a bit of a shambles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom